+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

[I still want a "dislike" or "downvote" option.... and NOT for you Riane....]
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Telaran

Default Dissapointing

Considering the age of technology, mobile applications go hand in hand with most products/services these days.

Rift mobile application is used heavily by our guild and my friends for communication. The ability to quickly communicate with those in game are great when your remote.

I know its been broken for many years, though always thought Trion would come back to upgrade and or evolve the application. Sad to hear its going to get scrapped...

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.

With the release of RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds, we will remove RIFT Mobile from Google and Apple stores, and will disable all functionality associated with this app.

Donít worry though - alternate means of acquiring Lucky Coins will be added to Daily Login Bonuses and Minion Adventures with the release of 3.4!

Thank you for your understanding, and weíll see you in the Planetouched Wilds!

The RIFT Team
    Sad day indeed....

Hartsman: The original Trion vision was about technology, technology, technology. Over time that morphed into one that was about games and customers, games and customers, games and customers.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/30/tr...ur-platform/3/

Maybe you should go back to the original vision....

http://www.sramanamitra.com/2012/07/...n-nine-months/

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by somestuff View Post
    Sad day indeed....

Hartsman: The original Trion vision was about technology, technology, technology. Over time that morphed into one that was about games and customers, games and customers, games and customers.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/30/tr...ur-platform/3/

Maybe you should go back to the original vision....

http://www.sramanamitra.com/2012/07/...n-nine-months/
    Actually, it needs to be about both, because technology expands what is possible, can help give gamers an even better/immersive experience. It also draws people in, gives them that great first impression. Think about new or upcoming game releases such as Star Citizen. If that was based on decade-old graphics and tech, I really don't think it would have attracted the success that it does.

Of course tech isn't everything. Story matters too, matters just as much, if not more. So the focus needs to be both. Neglecting one or the other is a big mistake.

I don't want to be mean,but....if the measure for
    future performance updates to Rift is the amount of work put in the
    mobile app,then........
    Yep.....

Perhaps just remove the scratch games and let the app survive for the other functionality?

Seems people don't care much about the scratch games, but like the benefits from the chat functionality and the event trackers that depend on the app data

Quote Originally Posted by Aranka View Post
    Perhaps just remove the scratch games and let the app survive for the other functionality?
    Ocho pretty much already answered that:

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    If it didn't require frequent work, we wouldn't be shutting it down. What isn't obvious outside the RIFT team is just how much time and work on our part was dedicated to keeping the app working. RIFT Mobile maintenance ate up a lot of time that the public never saw, and that was part of the problem.

Unfortunately, without regular maintenance work on the back end, this app would quickly stop working on its own.

This app is borderline irreplaceable to myself, my friends, and my guild. Even with using a separate app to communicate, there are key features the rift app offers that will be sorely missed- being able to see when friends and guildmates are online is a huge one. The ability to read the guild chat and wall is another.

Plus mah artifacts! D:

This is a huge bummer.

I can understand not updating it or spending anymore man power on it but why not leave it up? Let it live!

Quote Originally Posted by crystal8827958 View Post
    I can understand not updating it or spending anymore man power on it but why not leave it up? Let it live!
    Read TrionBrasse's and/or Ocho's posts in this thread

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #131

Just to update you all, our Engineering team is working to find a solution to maintaining functionality for RIFT event tracker sites. We'll let you know more when we have more details.

Soulwalker

If it didn't require frequent work, we wouldn't be shutting it down. What isn't obvious outside the RIFT team is just how much time and work on our part was dedicated to keeping the app working. RIFT Mobile maintenance ate up a lot of time that the public never saw, and that was part of the problem....

...A big part of making this decision was looking at how much other game development work ended up getting cut to keep supporting RIFT Mobile. It just wasnít worth it...

...Making this decision was very difficult, but ultimately we have to look at how we can provide the best game for all of our players, not just the small segment that used the app...

We can explore ways that we may be able to deliver some of the same functionality in other ways which have less long term maintenance work associated. Please let us know what functionality you miss. That said, even if we love the ideas they still need to go onto a list and compete with other development proposals that we love (many of which are also player requests), so we canít make any promises on timing or feasibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post
    How sad. Yet no wonder no one used it anymore as it never got updated to what it could of been.....minions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    We're always reasonable and we do listen! We just have a different perspective on things and a slightly different purpose. Namely, our purpose to make the game fun for as many as possible and true to our vision, while you want to have fun for you and your friends.
    Ironically, having returned to Rift, I was surprised to see no change with the app, considering the potential that could be had if Minions were also implemented. I dont need to reiterate what most people have conveyed that the use isn't as small as it was.

I do have to say, I felt Snedhepl's comment was a bit back handed. Just that while all things considered, yes your team does have such a vision, but 'having fun with you and your friends' as players isn't that far from your vision either. If anything, being able to make friends with this game, is what keeps people playing this game. It's the same reason why we all consider buying into all the expansions and features you all develop, and continue to support Trion as a whole. I had the privilege of meeting some of the devs (and other players) in person thanks to events like PAX, and having fun while making friends is completely something that everyone who attended demonstrated. I know there is a passion in each of the team, and you can't tell me you're not friends with some of each other and having fun with it?

The mobile app that first started 4 years ago, in all arguments sake was ahead of its time, considering that the majority of global app development skyrocketed within the last 2. Why not recreate a better version all together, (As someone also mentioned earlier in this thread) now that app development can be sourced much easier than it was previously. I dont need to name names, but I'm sure we're all aware of the potential a mobile application can be, and how useful to your user base it is, once formulated properly. Would you suggest that, while this particular build of a Rift App was too overwhelming, that an all new app, or a stripped down Guild App would be out of the question?

Just to update you all, our Engineering team is working to find a solution to maintaining functionality for RIFT event tracker sites. We'll let you know more when we have more details.
    Thanks for this...

I'm quite sad you're not trying to keep chat functionality as well. When publishing those APIs, the community could've created and maintained a Rift mobile app much stabler and better working then the one you dished out.

But then again, if your developers are busy trying to implement stuff and not only completely fail at it, but instead just introduce bugs requiring even more time to revert them the next day, and no testing happens at such a basic level that completely non-working code gets pushed to live, it's no wonder you have to raise prices and cut functionality. It doesnt paint too good a picture of Trion or the game though.
    Last edited by qUiXui; 10-01-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    Axynia - Pagefault - Segfault - Xinira
    <Transcendent>
    Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app
    Considering that just in our guild there are people who would like to use mobile app, but it doesnt work for them, makes your data not very accurate. :-/

Almost everyone has smartphone and/or tablet these days. With mobile app you can keep in touch with guild and friends even when you are not able to play. It is invaluable and one of the distinct features that make RIFT stand above most of current MMO games.

I think you should have dedicated at least one question in your survey to this topic...
    Do you use RIFT Mobile application?

1) I use it every day
    2) I use it at least once a week
    3) I am not using it regularly
    4) I would use it, but it doesnt work for me
    5) I dont care about RIFT Mobile app
    Procrastine@Gelidra in <Dawn Ethernal> guild - apply now at: https://eternal-dawn.net/

Web: http://www.jana4u.net/
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jana4u

this is sad news indeed.
    Tyragosa@Faeblight - Level 65 Mage - Seasons-Keeper Fae Mistress
    Ezryel@Faeblight - Level 65 Mage - Fae Lord of House Aelfwar
    Ovaliah@Faeblight - Level 65 Warrior - Elder Vampire
    Evelynariah@Faeblight - Level 61 Rogue - Seductress
    Community Manager, Loremistress, and Mage Class Leader of <Bounty> on Faeblight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast