+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #106
    Rift Team

We're always reasonable and we do listen! We just have a different perspective on things and a slightly different purpose. Namely, our purpose to make the game fun for as many as possible and true to our vision, while you want to have fun for you and your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnani View Post
    Thank you for considering this! It helps to know the Devs can listen and be reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Please let us know what functionality you miss.
    Zone Event tracking.

If you remove the APIs that allow the ZE tracking websites like http://www.rifteventtracker.com to function then please consider putting something directly into the game client that lets people track ZEs and AAs on their cluster. Currently there's a one-time announce in chat when an event starts but that's incredibly easy to miss amidst the general level 65 chat spam and if you shard hop the map doesn't show you ZEs in progress except for the current zone you're in. Removing this functionality will mean a lot of people being annoyed at having to go to each of the three NT zones and cycling through each shard to see if there's a ZE running there.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    Zone Event tracking.

If you remove the APIs that allow the ZE tracking websites like http://www.rifteventtracker.com to function then please consider putting something directly into the game client that lets people track ZEs and AAs on their cluster. Currently there's a one-time announce in chat when an event starts but that's incredibly easy to miss amidst the general level 65 chat spam and if you shard hop the map doesn't show you ZEs in progress except for the current zone you're in. Removing this functionality will mean a lot of people being annoyed at having to go to each of the three NT zones and cycling through each shard to see if there's a ZE running there.
    Absolutely this. Tracking down the strongholds for the Aequias weekly already is an immense PITA; having to search all zones of all shards for a zone event would suck even more. Either continue to support the external event trackers, or provide sufficient information on all running events in game.

Soulwalker

Is there honestly much development cost associated with just keeping the APIs the way they are, warts and all? Was there even cost associated to them recently, seeing as how I didn't notice any updates in like forever? I find that hard to believe, given the level of neglect they've seen.

The chat features is what I'll miss the most (and the death of my guild bot will be heartbreaking).

Quote Originally Posted by Sidhele View Post
    Is there honestly much development cost associated with just keeping the APIs the way they are, warts and all? Was there even cost associated to them recently, seeing as how I didn't notice any updates in like forever? I find that hard to believe, given the level of neglect they've seen.

The chat features is what I'll miss the most (and the death of my guild bot will be heartbreaking).
    This was already addressed in the thread-- apparently, even keeping the current functionality was eating up a non-trivial amount of development time.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.

With the release of RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds, we will remove RIFT Mobile from Google and Apple stores, and will disable all functionality associated with this app.

Don’t worry though - alternate means of acquiring Lucky Coins will be added to Daily Login Bonuses and Minion Adventures with the release of 3.4!

Thank you for your understanding, and we’ll see you in the Planetouched Wilds!

The RIFT Team
    So instead of fixing the mobile app which we have been requesting for quite some time... Trion decides to scrap it. Another crap move Trion...

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    We're always reasonable and we do listen! We just have a different perspective on things and a slightly different purpose. Namely, our purpose to make the game fun for as many as possible and true to our vision, while you want to have fun for you and your friends.
    Most of us have a lot of friends... multi, mega, mas grande guild size friends, and I like everyone in the forums. They're my friends. Does that count?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    Removing this functionality will mean a lot of people being annoyed at having to go to each of the three NT zones and cycling through each shard to see if there's a ZE running there.
    A lot of people will remember that not too long ago the EU trackers didn't work for several weeks. That was annoying as hell! I enjoyed my time in Rift A LOT less... to the point where I didn't even bother to do the weeklies anymore and logged on less frequently over all to go and collect unstable artifacts. I have a funny feeling Trion grossly underestimates the importance of the information those tracker websites provide.

Soulwalker

I know I'm repeating what a lot of the previous posters are saying but I just want to get it out there. As one of the guild leaders of a raiding guild, that app is VERY important to us as far as communication with our raiders goes. We also could care less about the additional functions of the app or lucky coins (who doesn't have a million of those wasting away already). The majority of our raiders have full time day jobs. If they are caught in traffic, have to work over time or something else comes up, they use that app to let us know that they will be late or not make it or if their power or internet goes out during raid, that's their only way to get word to us. Others have suggested other means of communication but those all involve power and internet. Sometimes that's just not an option. On behalf of my guild, please reconsider keeping the app at least as far as the communication function goes. As others have mentioned, the websites that provide event information are extremely helpful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendun View Post
    "But it's hard" isn't a reasonable way to make product decisions. Get someone who can rock these features and do it.
    if in stead of continuous maintenance, it it requires a fundamental change to the back-end (and possibly even a significant architectural change), then yes, it's quite realistic to discontinue this back-end, and as a consequence, the mobile app.

I've never been able to use the Rift mobile client, simply because it wasn't available for the platform I use the most. From that point of view, I couldn't care less about the client, and I actually welcome a decision to bring all players on a similar level.

I'd really like to see an API which provides some functionality people would love to use though. One of these is chat functionality (though that may actually be one of the bad guys in this), the other is the bit for zone events. We do love our event trackers, and I would hate to see them go. While not as integrated in the game, there are other ways to keep your guild leaders/raid leaders informed that you're late.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWibble View Post
    if in stead of continuous maintenance, it it requires a fundamental change to the back-end (and possibly even a significant architectural change), then yes, it's quite realistic to discontinue this back-end, and as a consequence, the mobile app.

I've never been able to use the Rift mobile client, simply because it wasn't available for the platform I use the most. From that point of view, I couldn't care less about the client, and I actually welcome a decision to bring all players on a similar level.

I'd really like to see an API which provides some functionality people would love to use though. One of these is chat functionality (though that may actually be one of the bad guys in this), the other is the bit for zone events. We do love our event trackers, and I would hate to see them go. While not as integrated in the game, there are other ways to keep your guild leaders/raid leaders informed that you're late.
    On more social guilds, chat kept everyone who used it in touch whether they were gaming or not. Hate to lose that feature.

Default sadface

I have to admit I am extremely sad to see this happen. The mobile app is one of my favorite features of the game, being a social gamer. I love being able to keep in touch with friends whether I'm online or not and whether they're online or not. And I tend to agree with many people here that saying nobody uses it is a bit of a disconnect. Many don't use it simply because it doesn't work for them.

We've been asking for a long time now for updates or reworks to the app. Most everyone I know loves the idea of the app and loves the functionality it's supposed to offer. I understand there's more to it than I could possibly know, but I'm still really disappointed to see it go.

Soulwalker

Default Please don't disable Rift Mobile

Rift Mobile is the only way we have to let our guildies know if we're running late or are not going to be able to make the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.

With the release of RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds, we will remove RIFT Mobile from Google and Apple stores, and will disable all functionality associated with this app.

Don’t worry though - alternate means of acquiring Lucky Coins will be added to Daily Login Bonuses and Minion Adventures with the release of 3.4!

Thank you for your understanding, and we’ll see you in the Planetouched Wilds!

The RIFT Team
    If decisions to remove features in Rift were based on use, why wasn't Druid removed a long time ago? ; ) Same for dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    I'm not against altering the API slightly so that the zone events webpages can continue to work is something we can definitely investigate. If there's a someone who actively runs an API using webpage, they can feel free to PM me with what specific API calls they used so I can discuss possible solutions with them.
    You are awesome for considering this, thank you Sned!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast