+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Well, leave me out of that "we" stuff. I don't use it, would never use it, and would infinitely prefer that what resources have been going to the app should be moved elsewhere.

Regardless, I'm quite sure that trion has exact numbers for how many are actually utilizing the app. So - they know it's not worth the money.
    I don't use the app for in game stuff, but I sure use a website that posts up to the minute data about zone events on various shards. Trion can't know how many of their players use the various zone event trackers. I use http://yaret.us.to/na/en_US.html and can make choices about what zone events I want to go participate in. If the APIs are shut down, I can only imagine the website I heavily use for zone event tracking will no longer function. I would hate to see this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnani View Post
    I don't use the app for in game stuff, but I sure use a website that posts up to the minute data about zone events on various shards. Trion can't know how many of their players use the various zone event trackers. I use http://yaret.us.to/na/en_US.html and can make choices about what zone events I want to go participate in. If the APIs are shut down, I can only imagine the website I heavily use for zone event tracking will no longer function. I would hate to see this happen.
    Woo that's mine!
    And yes, when the mobile API is turned off, all event tracker web sites will cease to function.

From what Ocho said, I undestrand that TRION spends money to keep server-side stuff for mobile app running, not on the app itself (Android app was last updated in november 2014).

There are other solutions than to shut it down completely.

Discontinuing APIs for zone events will produce huge amounts of unhappy players. (Most of them are probably curently completely unaware that discontinuation of mobile app means end of zone event trackers as well.) TRION has no idea how many people use them since they run none of them themselves!

(Guild) Chat is the only feature currently irreplaceable. Our guild is spread across the globe, so exchanging phone numbers is not the way to go, not to mention that people want to keep their privacy... Same with all third party communication options.

Access to guild wall is nice, but not that necessary.

Websites for tracking zone events are much better compared to what mobile app offers.

I don't think anyone would cry if Lootables are gone.

I would be completely happy with publicly available and documneted APIs for zone events and (guild) chat. Though having official mobile chat application would be even better.

Maybe mobile access to in-game mailbox could replace guild chat as well?
    Procrastine@Gelidra in <Dawn Ethernal> guild - apply now at: https://eternal-dawn.net/

Web: http://www.jana4u.net/
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jana4u

As stated already it sounds like it's more of a man power issue and where they choose to use those resources so perhaps my suggestion wouldn't really make a difference.

The mobile application is free, but wouldn't charging people to download the app help with maintaining it and keeping it running? Again as most people have already stated there are plenty of us who use the mobile application for communication if not anything else which as a guild leader myself is extremely valuable to keep the guild running. We got along without it before its inception and I'm sure a lot of people would just have to bite the bullet and get used to that again, but it's a very useful communication tool.

I think in the end we'd preferr pay for it if need be rather than losing it all together if there aren't any other alternatives.
    Last edited by Holyroller12; 09-26-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbringer12 View Post
    As stated already it sounds like it's more of a man power issue and where they choose to use those resources so perhaps my suggestion wouldn't really make a difference.

The mobile application is free, but wouldn't charging people to download the app help with maintaining it and keeping it running? Again as most people have already stated there are plenty of us who use the mobile application for communication if not anything else which as a guild leader myself is extremely valuable to keep the guild running. We got along without it before its inception and I'm sure a lot of people would just have to bite the bullet and get used to that again, but it's a very useful communication tool.

I think in the end we'd preferr pay for it if need be rather than losing it all together if there aren't any other alternatives.
    As much as we already pay for convenience, fluff and other features, I would endorse this move.

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Woo that's mine!
    And yes, when the mobile API is turned off, all event tracker web sites will cease to function.
    You sir, have an awesome site! I looked at all the other event trackers, (yup, all of them), and found yours to be (for me), the best one as far as aesthetics, and overall function. Thank you, for doing this service for the community! It will be really sad when it's gone if they really do go through with this decision.

This is a bad move on Trion's part. Yeah, sure, Mobile takes some resources, but the app is the only way I can communicate with my guild during the week (I have school, so I'm not online as much). In fact, the app is the only way I keep myself occupied during English class.

And before anyone asks about "shouldn't you be paying attention", two troublemakers spend 20 minutes clowning around before the teacher gets them under control, so I usually get 15 minutes to chat with guildies every class before the teacher brings them under control.

Anyway, this is sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnani View Post
    You sir, have an awesome site! I looked at all the other event trackers, (yup, all of them), and found yours to be (for me), the best one as far as aesthetics, and overall function. Thank you, for doing this service for the community! It will be really sad when it's gone if they really do go through with this decision.
    I believe that the decision is made and they will go through with it. Trion doesn't make announcements haphazardly. I'm hoping that alternatives are considered that will be feasible. The noted features like mobile access allowed Rift to stand apart from others and with the increasing use of mobile hardware and apps, I can't see why future development would not be encouraged.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    If it didn't require frequent work, we wouldn't be shutting it down. What isn't obvious outside the RIFT team is just how much time and work on our part was dedicated to keeping the app working. RIFT Mobile maintenance ate up a lot of time that the public never saw, and that was part of the problem.
    If this is true, then the issue is obvious -- you haven't hired a professional mobile app developer. The functionality provided by the app is not ground breaking, and is not complicated. The only potential issue is if your back-end is so sloppily constructed that retrieving data can't be dome systematically.

More importantly, you don't need to hire a mobile app developer. Bring one in on contract to knock it together, then bring them in on an as-needed basis to do updates. It's an established model that works well.

We have x number of engineering hours a month to work on RIFT. We want to use those hours in a way that benefits players the most. Maintaining current functionality of the RIFT Mobile app requires y hours. That doesn't include improving the app itself, that's just keeping current functionality working. This means that each month we lose those y hours that we could have applied to RIFT features or optimization, because RIFT mobile will stop working if we do.
    You don't play rift. If you did, you'd understand that all of the stuff you think you are going to develop with all this extra time is meaningless if you strip the social aspect from the game. Event trackers, guild chat, etc. -- these are things that keep players engaged.

Unfortunately this is not as simple as it sounds. We love the creative stuff that players have done to make use of those APIs and ad functionality that benefits their fellow players Ė itís terrific. But maintaining those APIs also represents a cost in hours which affects what else we can bring you in RIFT.
    Again -- you need someone with professional-level knowledge. Taking a database guy and saying "yo we need api and mobile app, grab a few web tutorials and get to it" is a waste of resources on several levels. Bring in someone with the necessary skillset.

...not just the small segment that used the app.
    The app has been broken for years. People don't use it because it's broken. Can you follow that? Attach a one-time survey to the login process with Question: if the mobile app were made stable on Android and iOS, provided chat functionality, event tracking, and whatever else, would you use it? [/quote]

We can explore ways that we may be able to deliver some of the same functionality in other ways which have less long term maintenance work associated. Please let us know what functionality you miss. That said, even if we love the ideas they still need to go onto a list and compete with other development proposals that we love (many of which are also player requests), so we canít make any promises on timing or feasibility.
    Very unlikely. Once it's gone, it's gone, and getting money put towards something that's already been taken away just doesn't happen.

An online social game should be expanding its online social presence. Make it easier for players (your customers) to stay engaged. "But it's hard" isn't a reasonable way to make product decisions. Get someone who can rock these features and do it.
    We can't hear the true songs, we are alone under the cold moon.

Soulwalker

Default Wars the real reason? Trion makes no money of it?

Saying that your wasting resources on the app doesn't seem right at all, considering it's had maybe 1 single update in the 3yrs I've been using it. The bugs present there are still present now. Surely the money the Rift community has pumped into the game since it was made free to play at the credits options installed for the cash up peeps who pay to win or try to to, would be enough to employ an intern to handle the app. More and more seems like everything you guys do is not what is best for rift but what is best for your wallets. So make the app a few bucks from the App Store and do something that a lot of the community still wants...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kendun View Post
    You don't play rift. If you did, you'd understand that all of the stuff you think you are going to develop with all this extra time is meaningless if you strip the social aspect from the game. Event trackers, guild chat, etc. -- these are things that keep players engaged.

An online social game should be expanding its online social presence. Make it easier for players (your customers) to stay engaged.
    I agree with the above...I play Rift because my friends are here. If there are fewer ways to connect and plan out goals, etc., then for us, Rift loses one of the advantages it had over the myriad of other fantasy worlds in which we could be adventuring.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #102
    Rift Team

I'm not against altering the API slightly so that the zone events webpages can continue to work is something we can definitely investigate. If there's a someone who actively runs an API using webpage, they can feel free to PM me with what specific API calls they used so I can discuss possible solutions with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    The only thing I have a problem with is this:

This is going to nuke the zone event applications that users have made. Is there any plan to just retain those APIs so people can still utilize them in their web apps?
    Last edited by Snedhepl; 09-26-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    I'm not against altering the API slightly so that the zone events webpages can continue to work is something we can definitely investigate. If there's a someone who actively runs an API using webpage, they can feel free to PM me with what specific API calls they used so I can discuss possible solutions with them.
    Thank you for this Snedhepl. That helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    Thank you for considering this! It helps to know the Devs can listen and be reasonable.

Soulwalker

RIP: didn't always work the greatest but was definitely useful for seeing missed tells or guild chat because game crashes everytime zone somewhere, alt tab or sit still in margle palace and get disconnected from server cuz bad lag. In all seriousness though messaging people offline on mobile is super handy guess will have to find other program, that works better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast