+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by Xol View Post
    That is true but doesn't mean a resolve is not possible. Whilst its also been expressed in game, I think the decision to discontinue the app has not reached a wide audience as of yet and many will likely be oblivious to it until it actually happens, so maybe an in-game and in-app (if possible) message regarding it over the weekend, might give a better idea how many would be willing to support its continued or refreshed development.
    If we don't speak up regarding it, then the Rift development team won't know how much the app really plays a beneficial part as a out of game feature to the games social and raiding community.
    Well, leave me out of that "we" stuff. I don't use it, would never use it, and would infinitely prefer that what resources have been going to the app should be moved elsewhere.

Regardless, I'm quite sure that trion has exact numbers for how many are actually utilizing the app. So - they know it's not worth the money.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Well, leave me out of that "we" stuff. I don't use it, would never use it, and would infinitely prefer that what resources have been going to the app should be moved elsewhere.

Regardless, I'm quite sure thatTrion has exact numbers for how many are actually utilizing the app. So - they know it's not worth the money.
    I think as Ocho stated, it's continuing maintenance takes away developer resources which they believe could focused elsewhere. I would counter that it's usage was stymied by it's stability. I can understand as the phones upgrade they would have to keep up with those changes on the different platform. So here we are. We know it's going to happen. What can we do to mitigate it? Prioritize what functions we want.

And I just did the survey prior to this announcement. I wish I could amend it now.

A side note: Raidcall for anyone who uses it, is pulling back it's resources outside of Russia. Is this a trend?

[QUOTE=Ocho;5122948
    We have x number of engineering hours a month to work on RIFT. We want to use those hours in a way that benefits players the most. Maintaining current functionality of the RIFT Mobile app requires y hours. That doesn't include improving the app itself, that's just keeping current functionality working. This means that each month we lose those y hours that we could have applied to RIFT features or optimization, because RIFT mobile will stop working if we do.

A big part of making this decision was looking at how much other game development work ended up getting cut to keep supporting RIFT Mobile. It just wasn’t worth it.
    .[/QUOTE]

You underestimate the importance of such an app.

---------

Quote Originally Posted by ohsocurioussss View Post
    I'd really like to know how many would pay for this. Its more likely they would find alternatives.
    id pay a one time 4.99 for the app.
    Last edited by Bingzhu; 09-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    Voices - Bingzhu - Schroedinger

I hear voices in my head - They council me
    They understand - They talk to me
    .... .- - . ..-. ..- .-..

pls remove
    Last edited by Bingzhu; 09-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    If it didn't require frequent work, we wouldn't be shutting it down.
    You seem to be missing 1 point. It's worth that bit of work. You kill a great feature for a very small amount of work/money. Don't do it.

Eh. Makes sense. Trion clearly stopped caring about about the app over a year ago, neglecting and attempt at making money by improving the app to increase the base, or even to put the minion system, a system that screams F2P mobile app, into it.

They just let it linger there chocking and coughing until it finally is put to sleep.

Oh well. Trions loss really, because moving the minion system to mobile devices would've made them money.

Goodbye app, you won't be missed.

Shadowlander

I would dearly love to have completed the survey after having read this thread - this would have been definitely mentioned.
    The event tracking via the API and app communications are brilliant, esp for a casual like myself who enjoys events, the websites provide a great service because the in game maps just do not function that way.
    Acknowledge that there is a chat work around but that is just cumbersome compared to the ease of the event trackers.
    On balance, Rift is a social game, removing functionality that helps to enable sociability beggars belief to be honest. The games on the other hand, wont miss them.

Really disappointing and I think Trion are missing the mark here.

Plane Touched

Default At least keep the Zone Event API working

I can understand how integrating the mobile chat into the already occasionally unreliable in-game chat might take a fair amount of upkeep. But the Zone event tracker API has to be dirt-simple, and there's no alternative available (unlike independent chat options).

Please keep this part working for non-Trion-supported ZE-trackers, at least!

Thumbs down sounds like a dumb move to me

While there are some players who really wouldn't care if they were the only person playing, for most of us this game is a social thing. We like to chat with guildies. We like to see what was on the guild chat earlier in the day while we were working (which we cannot get at all in the game). We like to know if there is some reason to get on the game even if we only have our funky laptop to play on. If the mobile app is so bad and time consuming, it was probably badly designed and should be REPLACED not scrapped. That is, unless you want the community to slowly wither away.

I really wish this wasn't going. Most people seem to only use it for chat or events, but I actually really enjoy playing the scratch games.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.

With the release of RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds, we will remove RIFT Mobile from Google and Apple stores, and will disable all functionality associated with this app.

Don’t worry though - alternate means of acquiring Lucky Coins will be added to Daily Login Bonuses and Minion Adventures with the release of 3.4!

Thank you for your understanding, and we’ll see you in the Planetouched Wilds!

The RIFT Team
    Wow this is really embarassing, but yeah i really want an animal head as a CD on classes I already can play in the game (without animal heads).
    To the performance thingy: I really don't think that there is a large gain towards performance. The game engine is still creepy as hell without multicore usage/support. Do we get this in any future Add-on? Or simply more animal heads? Ofc, I won't mention the itemization for the primalist...
    Or is it possible now to have larger server clusters that can handle better perfomance in raids instances?

Warning: This may contain sarcasm.
    4/4 HMIGP - 3/9 MoM

I understand the need to pull the resources away from the app, but I'll sorely miss it. While I enjoyed the scratch game, the biggest thing for me has been the chat ability. When power goes out, the game crashes, the net connection dies... when those sort of things happen, we could always hop on the chat to clue others in as to why we vanished. It was also nice to be able to see if someone was in game. For example, I might run get groceries and see that a friend showed up in game. I could let him know I'd be home in game shortly. This was something invaluable, for me anyway. It was also something very unique.

Rift Chaser

No skin off my nose. The app never worked for me. It didnt like Android OS's apparently :P

Perhaps Trion could implement some features that would allow 3rd party app builders produce something? Or would that require too much access to secure databases?
    <Harshmallows> Gelidra shard

Kuurgan - Level 65 Warrior
    Macleodd - Level 65 Mage
    Ramirezz - Level 65 Rogue

Soulwalker

Thumbs down :(

I recently built a chat bot based on the mobile API in the vein of RAT (rift assistance toolbox) and ran it for a few weeks; was just considering publishing the source code on github and enhancing it further with all sorts of silly stuff. Guess there's no point to it anymore, if the API will be discontinued. Which I genuinely hope it won't, but let's not kid ourselves - most of the resources that go into a mobile app is on the server side stuff.

So sad that it'll die so young. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted - even with the issues I had, like some of my characters not being recognized as friends by the mobile API so I can /w the bot directly, while others worked flawlessly. And the several weeks delay until the bot character was finally recognized as part of the guild. To be honest it was one of the few things that still kept me interested in rift after all this time...

How sad. Yet no wonder no one used it anymore as it never got updated to what it could of been.....minions.
    Mickdayblind NA Defiant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast