+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #46

Quote Originally Posted by Sargonnas_KoA View Post
    You left out the part where Trion did nothing with the mobile app since hell last froze over which created the perfect reason for you to be able to shut it down and say its due to lack of use.
    If it didn't require frequent work, we wouldn't be shutting it down. What isn't obvious outside the RIFT team is just how much time and work on our part was dedicated to keeping the app working. RIFT Mobile maintenance ate up a lot of time that the public never saw, and that was part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Keah View Post
    Could you just leave it in, and not support it anymore?
    Unfortunately, without regular maintenance work on the back end, this app would quickly stop working on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledge View Post
    Why would you just remove the app completely when there is no alternative to some of its functionality?
    Here is how we approached the decision:

We have x number of engineering hours a month to work on RIFT. We want to use those hours in a way that benefits players the most. Maintaining current functionality of the RIFT Mobile app requires y hours. That doesn't include improving the app itself, that's just keeping current functionality working. This means that each month we lose those y hours that we could have applied to RIFT features or optimization, because RIFT mobile will stop working if we do.

A big part of making this decision was looking at how much other game development work ended up getting cut to keep supporting RIFT Mobile. It just wasnít worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Is there any plan to just retain those APIs so people can still utilize them in their web apps?
    Unfortunately this is not as simple as it sounds. We love the creative stuff that players have done to make use of those APIs and ad functionality that benefits their fellow players Ė itís terrific. But maintaining those APIs also represents a cost in hours which affects what else we can bring you in RIFT. Making this decision was very difficult, but ultimately we have to look at how we can provide the best game for all of our players, not just the small segment that used the app.

We can explore ways that we may be able to deliver some of the same functionality in other ways which have less long term maintenance work associated. Please let us know what functionality you miss. That said, even if we love the ideas they still need to go onto a list and compete with other development proposals that we love (many of which are also player requests), so we canít make any promises on timing or feasibility.

Soulwalker

I play Rift to raid, and the loss of easy guild communication while offline will become a barrier to effective raiding and guild management. If resources are this limited, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future of the game.
    Last edited by Pique; 09-25-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    If it didn't require frequent work, we wouldn't be shutting it down. What isn't obvious outside the RIFT team is just how much time and work on our part was dedicated to keeping the app working. RIFT Mobile maintenance ate up a lot of time that the public never saw, and that was part of the problem.

Unfortunately, without regular maintenance work on the back end, this app would quickly stop working on its own.

Here is how we approached the decision:

We have x number of engineering hours a month to work on RIFT. We want to use those hours in a way that benefits players the most. Maintaining current functionality of the RIFT Mobile app requires y hours. That doesn't include improving the app itself, that's just keeping current functionality working. This means that each month we lose those y hours that we could have applied to RIFT features or optimization, because RIFT mobile will stop working if we do.

A big part of making this decision was looking at how much other game development work ended up getting cut to keep supporting RIFT Mobile. It just wasn’t worth it.

Unfortunately this is not as simple as it sounds. We love the creative stuff that players have done to make use of those APIs and ad functionality that benefits their fellow players – it’s terrific. But maintaining those APIs also represents a cost in hours which affects what else we can bring you in RIFT. Making this decision was very difficult, but ultimately we have to look at how we can provide the best game for all of our players, not just the small segment that used the app.

We can explore ways that we may be able to deliver some of the same functionality in other ways which have less long term maintenance work associated. Please let us know what functionality you miss. That said, even if we love the ideas they still need to go onto a list and compete with other development proposals that we love (many of which are also player requests), so we can’t make any promises on timing or feasibility.
    I think as stated by myself and others communications foremost and zone tracking would be the most useful benefits from all of this. Thank you for responding.

Oh just a thought would a multi-game communication be more feasible via Glyph? Something similar to other games and their net?
    Last edited by Nuuli; 09-25-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.

With the release of RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds, we will remove RIFT Mobile from Google and Apple stores, and will disable all functionality associated with this app.

Don’t worry though - alternate means of acquiring Lucky Coins will be added to Daily Login Bonuses and Minion Adventures with the release of 3.4!

Thank you for your understanding, and we’ll see you in the Planetouched Wilds!

The RIFT Team
    So you are saying we wont be seeing any more green lips, pale skins who have been an issue for years and a fps drop just by targeting mobs, that you managed to add again in the last patch, and over all better fps due to this change?

PS. you know the green lips and pale skin is related to dyed armor right?
    Last edited by Ldarax; 09-25-2015 at 03:32 PM.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #50

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    I think as stated by myself and others communications foremost and zone tracking would be the most useful benefits from all of this. Thank you for responding.

Oh just a thought would a multi-game communication be more feasible via Glyph? Something similar to other games and their net?
    Certainly something that has been considered, there are many steps that would need to be taken in between however.

I wonder what Hartsman's take on it is, since he's the one who brought us the site & app builders in a similar spirit to the mobile API.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post

That would be fine - as long as no one is FORCED to use glyph any time in the near future. I don't have any need for communication period - I don't play any game but Rift, and that's not going to change.

I won't use glyph. Yeah, I'm just one person, so no one cares.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

It just wasnít worth it.
    It just wasn't worth it for whom?

If this thread is any indication at all, the ability to communicate to those in game while out of game is of importance to a lot of players, especially raiders. I would much rather see gradual performance tweaks/improvements over a longer period of time than losing features of the game. As I said before, this is definitely the type of question you want to pose to the player-base before proceeding. I think it was under general consensus that performance improvements (and other changes) would take time and while waiting sucks, the majority were prepared to wait. I doubt very many would have expected to lose out on something like this for improvements that may not even be noticeable.

If the app can't stay, I totally understand that there are underlying factors and reasons, however, as a consumer, I expect it to be accounted for. Whether it's creating alternative methods to accomplish what the app provided or providing the means for the player-base to do it themselves, it is expected that something will be done. So once again, I hope that you reconsider this decision, but I expect that our needs will be accommodated in the absence of the app should you move forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsocurioussss View Post
    So what will be left for people who have infraction restrictions on in in-game chat?
    Nothing.

That's kind of the point of imposing chat restrictions on people who break the rules. So that they can't chat.
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-25-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Xol
    Rift Disciple

Thumbs up

Certainly something that has been considered, there are many steps that would need to be taken in between however.
    I think overall, most agree that where the features of Rift is concerned future wise, the Rift Mobile App is a valued and much sought after feature, although not in game, its clearly a feature us the players want to keep and feel is important to the game so removing that would simply be saying that you are ignoring a widely called for feature because its not a feature you think we need.

I appreciate your concern with the y hours required to maintain and keep it updated which is why I would suggest then considering a paid approach which would allow you to have the project funded and then the ability to hire someone that can work on it directly thus not losing out on current development commitments to the game itself.
    I believe many of us would be happy to pay a little extra each month to help with the development and upkeep costs.

I genuinely think its worth reconsidering your options at least, I am sure you would find a way to make it work beneficially to the game, yourselves and us the players

Now, here's a thought: is there anyone in the modding community who could pick up the current state of the app and produce something actually usable for those who will be upset that it's gone? Or is this a problem with exposing API in some way?

And no, I don't program - in fact, I don't even code html, css, or mush any more. I'm RETIRED.... so I actually have no idea if that's even a viable suggestion. If it's not, I'm sorry for pushing my oar in.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Telaran

Default beginning of the end, maybe?

d
    e
    l
    e
    t
    e
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 01-14-2018 at 09:18 AM.

In b4 the conspiracy theorists predicting the demise of the game over this.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Xol View Post
    I think overall, most agree that where the features of Rift is concerned future wise, the Rift Mobile App is a valued and much sought after feature, although not in game, its clearly a feature us the players want to keep and feel is important to the game so removing that would simply be saying that you are ignoring a widely called for feature because its not a feature you think we need.

I appreciate your concern with the y hours required to maintain and keep it updated which is why I would suggest then considering a paid approach which would allow you to have the project funded and then the ability to hire someone that can work on it directly thus not losing out on current development commitments to the game itself.
    I believe many of us would be happy to pay a little extra each month to help with the development and upkeep costs.

I genuinely think its worth reconsidering your options at least, I am sure you would find a way to make it work beneficially to the game, yourselves and us the players
    I'd really like to know how many would pay for this. Its more likely they would find alternatives.
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 09-25-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko View Post
    In b4 the conspiracy theorists predicting the demise of the game over this.
    One post too late hon.... but have to agree!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast