+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

Sword of Telara

Lame. If this can't be out-sourced to India or Brazil for minimal costs, then it really makes one wonder just how bad things are.

Being able to communicate that someone is going to be late to raid, stuck behind a train or some such thing, had been invaluable.

Get rid of the scratch off junk, keep the communication. And hire a high school intern to show you how it's done.

Xol
    Rift Disciple

The Rift Mobile App has a lot of potential and has one functionality that nearly everyone will agree is invaluable and would be madness to remove is the capability to communicate with guild members. I don't think many care for the scratch cards so maybe reduce the clutter and just keep the communications active.
    The other option of course - For over a year now I think it has been, the Rift mobile app has been neglected and believe that many would have happily paid a small monthly fee for it to have reached its potential. Just think how quick a 1 per month cost would generate enough to not only maintain the app but also have extra funding for in game development. This should be something that is considered and cannot be argued that people shouldn't have to pay for an app that is for a free to play game because whilst Rift is free to play, there is also content and extra features in Rift that people pay for anyway and I still think many would be happy with this including myself and consider it an extra feature.
    Last edited by Xol; 09-25-2015 at 05:36 AM.

Telaran

Could you just leave it in, and not support it anymore? The guild chat feature was a wonderful way to communicate things like; just getting out of work, or my internet is out.

I'm aware there's alternate methods like skype chat or fb however not everyone wants to give up their anonymity to join those.

Please reconsider!

Rift Disciple

Leave the zone event and chat functionality as it is OR put it into your website. Taking these features away from us is a very poor idea.

Ascendant

I'm guessing this post is due to the fact that every time there are 'general issues' that require server restarts, the server the stuff for the mobile app is running on seems to be left out, which leads to threads on the forums for weeks until someone runs to the basement to feed that particular hamster (reboot?) ... is that it?

I'm with most of the posters here - please reconsider...

If the app has negative impact on the game performance, I can understand your decision.

Although, the app was one of the more unique features of the game and supported the social aspect, so maybe you should really reconsider (maybe a new app).

Quote Originally Posted by venrexx View Post
    You aren't referring to the WoW transmogs you just displayed in your post, are you?
    http://gamegeex.blogomancer.com/post...acter-updated/
    Sigh, sarcasm doesn't go over well with some people. Maybe wear your hair up?

Rift Chaser

This is a foolish, short-sighted decision.

The Mobile App, for all its flaws, is one of the things that separates Rift from its competitors, and it's being removed?

I know I'm one of many that use it for its social aspect, and Rift itself is a social game. There's a reason people are drawn to MMOs instead of single-player games, it's the social aspect.

If anything, Rift management should be adding resources and expertise to their mobile efforts, not eliminating it. Mobile is becoming more and more important every year, and for Trion not to look in that direction, seems foolish.

The way I see it, there's at least two good options here:

OPTION 1:

Don't cancel the app. Invest some modest resources into revamping the app (iOS, Android), then sell it for a modest fee ($5)? If, after 6 months, there isn't sufficient uptake, at least the community will have had a chance to put its money where it's mouth is. I know *I* would pay for such an app.

OPTION 2:

Cancel the app with 3.4 as planned, but leave API functionality in place. Publish APIs and other docs sufficient to make a 3rd party app possible. Others will make the app, preserving and enhancing the desired functionality, and Trion won't have to pay a dime except for whatever server resources are necessary.. and having a better mobile app, even if made by someone else, will attract new players and thus new revenue, paying for itself.

Trion, please do the right thing here. I understand your reasoning, but this really is short-sighted. If you don't embrace mobile, at least to a small extent, other MMOs will, and you'll pay for the decision then.

My 2c worth.

Please, please reconsider disabling the app. Many social and raiding guilds rely on communicating through the mobile app. I use it daily to check the wall while I am at work and see if there are guild events scheduled, and I can answer questions posted in guild chat, and let my raid know when I am running late.

Even if individual guilds adopt new messaging services, it cannot replace being able to see your guild's in-game chat.

#SaveRiftMobile

Voices - Bingzhu - Schroedinger

I hear voices in my head - They council me
    They understand - They talk to me
    .... .- - . ..-. ..- .-..

Soulwalker

Default Please don't dump the app

It's too useful for keeping an eye on guild chat and ties into Rift's social media functions

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app..
    The RIFT Team
    Maybe instead of spending several months reviewing could spend a couple days debugging.

Snark aside, the app works fine and the occasional issues are by no means show stoppers.

The freebies can easily be put into the game itself, but the /g chat is not replaceable. Any external client requres some rl information to be exchanged and this is not always desireable. Also as has been noted the API is certainly not replaceable.

In a mobile and global game market, backing away from mobile integration seems downright daft. If you lost the java guy who wrote the app, get a new one. Rewrite it if need be, might be quicker, and the current one seems like someone's first try at writing one.

Regardless. You need more mobile. Not zero. Web doesn't cut it on a smartphone.

Honestly you rewrite it, ditch the freebies, add minion management as a bonus feature for patrons, and then you have tons off ADD people logged into your app all the time and a lot more patrons. There's your mobile business model. Guild chat & event monitoring for free, minions for patrons. Done. You justified your mobile java guy.

With the API being closed all the event trackers go down, I guess. I don't think most people realise it. Once they do there will be a lot of unhappy players. Also, finding the 'Hooves and Horns' zone event will get even easier now.
    Last edited by Bingzhu; 09-25-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    Voices - Bingzhu - Schroedinger

I hear voices in my head - They council me
    They understand - They talk to me
    .... .- - . ..-. ..- .-..

I'm really unhappy about this I use the Mobile App all the time as a Guild Leader to check in on the Guild, catch up with officers especially if I am on another server. This is an incredibly useful App to me especially when I am at work, one of the reasons I chose Rift after I left WoW is because of the Mobile App and while it has it's problems it definitely has benefits to many of us.

Telaran

d
    e
    l
    e
    t
    e
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 01-14-2018 at 09:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast