+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    I literally started writing a library to talk to the API today.
    I went to your github page and saw the credit. I'll just say "you're welcome"

But Trion, if you are getting out of the app business, please consider leaving the APIs in place and letting the community build off of them!

I use a website that heavily relies on APIs info for RIFT up to the minute events.. please don't make it so these websites can't function! I love hopping from shard to shard to farm events.
    Last edited by Ahnani; 09-24-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Damn... how would I stalk- ermm.. I mean... keep in touch with my guildies while offline now?!
    Serale@Faeblight

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.
    Usage logs don't mean anything when your app doesn't even work. Nobody uses it because it's buggy and useless as ****. Get whoever has supposedly been working on the Rift Mobile app all this time to turn out something that actually works and is useful and a good chunk of the playerbase will use it. Most of us playing Rift want a mobile app - we just don't use the current one much because it's a broken, useless piece of garbage.

Soulwalker

I don't post much but removing functionality such as the events API, offline guild chat, and wall posting is a big concern to me.

Please address these issues by telling us if they will be re-introduced. You mentioned adding new features to the game and I would hope you start with what you are removing - tools for increased community involvement!

Default so

TRION: "Mobile App - we have a guy working on it"

Today... gone.

TRION: "Game Performance and Class Balance - we've got a guy working on it"

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    You mentioned adding new features to the game and I would hope you start with what you are removing - tools for increased community involvement!
    Shush! The primalist and new dimension items are being added - with different colour skins for different primalist animal heads available from the cash store. One of them even glows.

Last edited by WockyCC; 09-24-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WockyCC View Post

Shush! The primalist and new dimension items are being added - with different colour skins for different primalist animal heads available from the cash store. One of them even glows.
    I feel ike Primalist will be the new rogues. Just felt like it was only class to actually have been worked on in any significant way since NT launch.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 09-24-2015 at 08:56 PM.

I hope you will reconsider this.
    Rift mobile is a very usefull app when we are able to use it. The only reason pepole don't use the app is because the app is bugged.
    It would be better to correct the app and make good fonction for it instead of remove an excellent way to communicate with guild.
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Hello all,

We spent several months reviewing benefits and usage of the RIFT Mobile app, and have decided that the ongoing development efforts to support this program could be better put towards upgrading performance and adding new features to RIFT.

With the release of RIFT 3.4: Into the Wilds, we will remove RIFT Mobile from Google and Apple stores, and will disable all functionality associated with this app.

Don’t worry though - alternate means of acquiring Lucky Coins will be added to Daily Login Bonuses and Minion Adventures with the release of 3.4!

Thank you for your understanding, and we’ll see you in the Planetouched Wilds!

The RIFT Team
    Yay!!

/10char

Soulwalker

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by WockyCC View Post
    TRION: "Mobile App - we have a guy working on it"

Today... gone.

TRION: "Game Performance and Class Balance - we've got a guy working on it"

You aren't referring to the WoW transmogs you just displayed in your post, are you?
    http://gamegeex.blogomancer.com/post...acter-updated/

Rift Disciple

Can you explain the reason why instead of just leaving the mobile app as is and declare it so with no support/upgrade, you have to wipe it? My 4 year old phone with android four point something runs it flawlessly. Really would be a shame to lose the guild chat function. I understand trion has little budget for developing/maintaining content and it seems the devs are often challenged by their tasks. Maybe you can consider making this a trial run for a crowd contributed task? List requirement of this software, then let the people go at it. I'm sure able people would be interested. You are using Magelo already which is maintained by players and it works. Why stop there?

Prophet of Telara

Losing the comms aspect is a very bad idea. I used to use it heavily for that - being able to chat to people in game when I was not. Event tracking too.

Make it a legacy thing if you must, kill the lucky coins and whatever if you have to. But keep the ability to communicate and see events open to all.
    I will not delete my characters for an unwated server merge.

Rift Chaser

App developers cost about $4 per hour...

The scratch cards were never my main focus of the app, if anything I never used it. What was my main focus was being able to communicate with other players while unable to be at a computer. Often times I (and my other raiders) used the app to let someone know that they would be a couple minutes late to raid.
    I greatly disapprove.
    Last edited by Zokot; 09-25-2015 at 02:43 AM.

Laying out some reasons for why we want to keep (some) mobile features:

* Removing the API (you said "disable all functionality associated with this app") goes against the spirit laid out in the Site and App Builders thread. People have made cool things with that and with the event API. More can be made if you improve them instead of getting rid of them (I've mentioned a dream I have for using the mobile API, and I've PM'd Ocho months ago with additions I want to see in the Site and App Builders files with which I could make some more cool things).

Guild chat:
    * Communicate with guild members ("late to raid tonight!", wall posts) is invaluable
    * Using an official program, the barrier to entry is lower
    * Alternate communication programs will face higher barriers to getting in to the Rift mindspace. For example, I have a guildmate who refuses to join Teamspeak because his antivirus tells him it has a virus. I think most people will NOT want to give out their phone numbers. And I'm sure most people won't download third-party communication programs because it takes effort (not for you but it's the old "why? nobody's using it!" and "why should I have to download some random app for rift?" problems)

Event tracker:
    * Easily show the CURRENT STATE of events in Telara
    * The map only shows you events on the map you are on on your current shard (maybe), and finding events manually is time consuming and annoying
    * The Events channel is good, but it doesn't tell you when events are no longer running, it doesn't give you an easy-to-digest list, and it can easily get lost in the chat spam
    * Web sites can add features like a different layout or click-to-mark-as-tagged or "this event ends in an average for 32 minutes"
    * Used for efficient completion of the weekly, void stone farming, and Faeblight Sparkles (ha). Removing it would add artificial difficulty and just annoy people who used the trackers

PS I don't care about lucky coins. I have ~700 and nothing I want to use them for.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 09-25-2015 at 04:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast