+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree439Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Mobile will be discontinued with 3.4

Rift Chaser

So many businesses would give anything to have customers engaged with their product 24/7. Putting guild chat onto everyone's pocket via a mobile app does that. Keeping people engaged with their in-game family keeps them tied to the game, which means customer retention.

This is so obviously an example of penny wise but pound foolish. The implementation of a chat client is not a complex thing. Bring in a legitimate mobile app professional, or outsource it.
    We can't hear the true songs, we are alone under the cold moon.

On today's live stream, they announced that Rift Mobile is still going away, but that they found a way for event trackers to stay and some people were testing it.

Could one of those people share the details so I can make sure mine will still work? Are the API calls changing?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Just to update you all, our Engineering team is working to find a solution to maintaining functionality for RIFT event tracker sites. We'll let you know more when we have more details.
    I find it very sad that not one dev post has responded to the vast majority of posts on this thread that are telling them how important the mobile guild chat is to the poster and their guilds.

Do they really not care at all about something that is obviously so useful to these people (myself included)?

Quote Originally Posted by stonecry View Post
    I find it very sad that not one dev post has responded to the vast majority of posts on this thread that are telling them how important the mobile guild chat is to the poster and their guilds.

Do they really not care at all about something that is obviously so useful to these people (myself included)?
    They have a few times in this thread. This is a decision they made to allocate the limited resources to what will affect players as a whole. Performance improvements in the game itself.

Fia

Instead of making a Mobile App, why not make a webservice that everyone can access with their smartphone? That way you won't have to worry about compatibility. We could all just log into our accounts and from there use services like guild chat, guild wall, etc. (and maybe even minions and other things). It doesn't have to have a fancy GUI or anything, just plain and simple straightforward functions. Or just give us the API, we (the community) will take care of the rest.
    Last edited by Fia; 10-02-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

For the seventeenth time .. as they say, the problem is the backend work required, not the frontend (mobile app / web site)

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    For the seventeenth time .. as they say, the problem is the backend work required, not the frontend (mobile app / web site)
    And my post addresses neither frontend nor backend, so ... I'm not really sure what your mean. V:
    Last edited by Fia; 10-02-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

Prophet of Telara

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *goes crying in a corner*

I neither care about lucky coins nor about the zone event tracker, I want the mobile guild chat! Especially since we have a lot of people who don't want to give yet another company their data (like skype, whatsapp etc.). And believe it or not, not everyone has smart phones or a data flatrate on their phones for messengers. So guild chat is a great base point for communications.

Right now, I hate you a bit, Trion
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch", several Collabs with different people - NEW: "The Headless Horseman" by Maegwynn, "Monkey Island 2", Collab on Chuliana, "Stuck at Rabbit's House (Alli)" on Jaodya

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    On today's live stream, they announced that Rift Mobile is still going away, but that they found a way for event trackers to stay and some people were testing it.

Could one of those people share the details so I can make sure mine will still work? Are the API calls changing?
    PM Snedhepl he will tell you what you need to do. I'd do it but I'm not sure if it's not better to ask him first. I've been testing it for 2 days now and it's working fine btw.

cheers

Champion

Can someone at least hit the restart button on the mobile server? Lets keep this working for at least the time promised to us.

I this shut down is a terrible idea as so many players and guild leaders use this often to keep track of events and goings on in their guild while at work or out in that cursed sunlight. Seriously though, turn it on please. Sick of not getting message.

Quote Originally Posted by Fia View Post
    And my post addresses neither frontend nor backend, so ... I'm not really sure what your mean. V:
    "make a webservice that everyone can access with their smartphone" == "create a new frontend that still uses the old backend" meaning MORE work, not less

Quote Originally Posted by Aowar View Post
    PM Snedhepl he will tell you what you need to do. I'd do it but I'm not sure if it's not better to ask him first. I've been testing it for 2 days now and it's working fine btw.

cheers
    I PM'ed him when he first asked for tracker makers to, and didn't get a reply, but I suppose I can try again.

Default Going Backwards?

I must say this. It seems like the game is going backwards. Most mmos now have offline communications besides just a forum and social media accounts. Many people use this to communicate and schedule events in Rift.

Not everyone wants to share their digits with the world, so they can be texted or called about raids and events.

Take a page from Skyforge, it has a service called Aelinet. Aelinet is a massive portal to everything in the game, you can even send out your adepts (their version of minions), via this network. You can see stats, calculate builds, chat with guildmates and post up messages, and manage guild functions while not logged in to the game.

I hear the part about limited resources etc etc, but the mobile app is a very vital part of this game. Redo it, but keep it. Take out too many chunks of the game, and there will not be a game left to develop.

This feels like going from mobile back to rotary dial landlines....backwards. And certainly not the original mission and thought of keeping us connected to the game and each other.

In before snarky dev response or ban.
    ~Wardova, found at a rift near you since 2011~ ~Wardiva, also adventuring in Telara since 2015~

Telaran

hmmmm had to put something here
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 01-14-2018 at 09:03 AM.

If there is no way because of man hours, or budget to continue or redo the Rift Mobile App, would it be possible to make the api accessible so that our current add-on writers, possibly one(s) that also write apps, could make a new mobile app and get it published?

I think it would do good things for the game to have a chat and minion minder app for Android, IOS and Windows. Possibly even with links to the Rift store for added benefit and revenue flow.

We have many talented add-on writers, and this would take the load off limited staff and budget.
    I think it would be a huge success, bring back social aspects to Rift, and even bring in money.
    Having the Rift store and minions and items for the app available on a mobile app, could be a hit. Especially with advertising new items and promotions quickly to more players.

What avenues, can I bring this up to, and discuss it, and find out what would be required?

I think it would be a far more positive outcome to at least investigate this possibility versus, just pulling the plug on a current Rift asset.

Submitting this as a suggestion.
    ~Wardova, found at a rift near you since 2011~ ~Wardiva, also adventuring in Telara since 2015~

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    We can explore ways that we may be able to deliver some of the same functionality in other ways which have less long term maintenance work associated. Please let us know what functionality you miss. That said, even if we love the ideas they still need to go onto a list and compete with other development proposals that we love (many of which are also player requests), so we can’t make any promises on timing or feasibility.
    I think that the biggest loss here is the ability to chat to friends/guildies when not online. The Zone Events Tracker would also be on my list if it tracked cross-shard.
    Last edited by Ephemeral Nep; 10-03-2015 at 04:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast