+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Margle Palace: The Sheepening

Ewwwww!!! I found that in chorebug..... Aww i can't post screenshot?
    Last edited by Amielle; 06-18-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kibblehouse View Post
    Just need to say something as an IT professional. The people (or maybe it was just 1 guy) complaining about using the customers for QA is ticking me off.

To investigate issues involving load, like what they are trying to do in Margle, it is impossible to do in a test system. You can approximate things and get some idea, but your test system will never have the kind of traffic or user behavior that Prod will. So then the choice is throw your hands up and say it cant be fixed, or try something creative.

I applaud them for trying something creative to get at these performance issues.

And since your leaving ... Can I have your stuff?
    LOL, They changed all the NPC's to sheep. Very creative sophisticated IT stuff there. No way they could have tested that internally. They temporarily increased overall fps to Margle. The sudden fps drop that many people have been experiencing since 3.2 has nothing to do with the amount of people on at that time.

What bugs me more then anything is that it's being treated like a joke. First three pages of this thread is nothing but sheep jokes.

I already left this game. I only log in after either I've made changes to my computer or Trion makes changes just to see of it's been fixed. This is another example of Trion pushing out untested fix/content for the customer to test for them. A growing trend in MMOs.. Pay to beta test.

I have not tested anything beyond zoning in from various places. But for general feedback re The Sheepening, I'm seeing a 20 fps increase on both NA and EU shards at Margle Palace and Choreburg.

After last week's patch momentarily brought my rig to its knees (1 fps), I moved all my characters to TB. Was a nice surprise to be back in Margle with no lag.

Running Rift on an SSD in a 3.9 Ghz rig with a 560Ti and 32 gb of ram. Usually run on High or Ultra settings. Hope that's useful.
    Thorin's Halls, Lost Cavern, The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Avalon, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer Greybriar Dimension Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Gatwick View Post
    LOL, They changed all the NPC's to sheep. Very creative sophisticated IT stuff there. No way they could have tested that internally. They temporarily increased overall fps to Margle. The sudden fps drop that many people have been experiencing since 3.2 has nothing to do with the amount of people on at that time.

What bugs me more then anything is that it's being treated like a joke. First three pages of this thread is nothing but sheep jokes.

I already left this game. I only log in after either I've made changes to my computer or Trion makes changes just to see of it's been fixed. This is another example of Trion pushing out untested fix/content for the customer to test for them. A growing trend in MMOs.. Pay to beta test.
    Okay many of us pay for the game via subscription and/or the cashop but, do you really think they have enough money to have every possible configuration of hardware and software distributed to say 1000 paid employees who can then play for even one hour and populate Margel, using it as we do?

No, even the PTS is not a large enough group to test this completely. SO the only choices left were have all of us test it or, give up and tell us that it could not be fixed and, Margle would tank our FPS forever.

I'm sure the sheep are temporary while they work out how to make the NPC's look like humanoids again and yet not kill the FPS like they used to.

If a game staff making an effort to solve a problem, even when that means using unconventional methods upsets you, then well I expect you get upset easily by the furniture being rearranged or, a house on your block being painted a color you don't approve of, or someone doing your laundry in the "wrong" order, etc...
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    No, even the PTS is not a large enough group to test this completely. SO the only choices left were have all of us test it or, give up and tell us that it could not be fixed and, Margle would tank our FPS forever.

I'm sure the sheep are temporary while they work out how to make the NPC's look like humanoids again and yet not kill the FPS like they used to.
    The issue here is one of root cause analysis.

The FPS / lag issue being investigated was not apparent prior to 3.2 which means that something in the extra code in that release caused this.

With the exception of one fish guy NPC to send you to the new map area, as the number of NPCs in Margle Palace did not change, the models / meshes of those NPCs did not change, this would suggest that something other than the number of NPCs, the models used, the colour meshes applied to them, is the root cause.

Let's face it, if the cause was the loading of the NPC's model / mesh data, then why does closing down the client and re-starting it fix the issue temporarily... because the same in-game resources have to be loaded each and every time you visit the area.

Of course turning all of the NPCs into sheep models will speed up the loading / moving around of Margle Palace because it's a lot quicker to load 100 instances of the same model / mesh than it is to load maybe 50 different ones for all the humanoids, critters and animals that used to be there. It's a Band-Aid, not a cure.

Okay many of us pay for the game via subscription and/or the cashop but, do you really think they have enough money to have every possible configuration of hardware and software distributed to say 1000 paid employees who can then play for even one hour and populate Margel, using it as we do?

If a game staff making an effort to solve a problem, even when that means using unconventional methods upsets you, then well I expect you get upset easily by the furniture being rearranged or, a house on your block being painted a color you don't approve of, or someone doing your laundry in the "wrong" order, etc...
    I'd be perfectly happy if they left the sheep. Don't need "humanoids" personally.

As to FPS: mine's effectively the same as it was prior to the sheepening, around 25 FPS in MP, 50-60 everywhere else. I don't see any change at all, and that's likely due to my antique machine and satband (also, as we've discussed, antique - still trying to convince husband-creature that the extra money for the upgrade to Exede would be worth it.... problematic since he doesn't use computers or play games).
    Last edited by Narcise; 06-18-2015 at 04:15 PM.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    I'd be perfectly happy if they left the sheep. Don't need "humanoids" personally.

As to FPS: mine's effectively the same as it was prior to the sheepening, around 25 FPS in MP, 50-60 everywhere else. I don't see any change at all, and that's likely due to my antique machine and satband (also, as we've discussed, antique - still trying to convince husband-creature that the extra money for the upgrade to Exede would be worth it.... problematic since he doesn't use computers or play games).
    Yeah, I can imagine, but doesn't he realize the computer and internet are your major connection to the outside world, your entertainment, socializing, recipes, holiday planning, maybe even banking, books to read, recipes he likes to eat, easy access to parts for this or that and, materials for whatever hobby? Us home bodies need our net and, even if our partners use it little to none, it benefits them.

I agree, the sheep are fine, I could care less what the NPC looks like as long as it gives the quests it's supposed to. For all I care they could all be just green condoms as long as they functioned as they are supposed to - if that improved lag and let the majority move and use Margle, and other lag prone areas, then it doesn't matter what the NPCs look like - not there to people watch, there to pick up and turn in quests, buy and sell. If you want to people watch, there are enough players to watch for that.

I also think that removing the water inside Margle would help. Leave the pools at the bases of fountains but remove the rest and disable the fountain animations.
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

Double framerate in Margle palace (from 19-20 to 37-38), no green condoms on login and when I enter/leave the craft area, no reload screen when going from one side to the other. Far better.

System : Ge force GTX 660, Intel i7 4770S CPU 3.10 Ghz, 8 Go RAM, Windows 7, RIFT on SSD
    All graphics turned to full, bu no capes (still bug)

And I love all these sheep, they give an eerie feeling and they fit the place so well
    Please let them all be sheep, only the queen and the few npc involved in the story quest need to be special.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 06-18-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, à la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    Double framerate in Margle palace (from 19-20 to 37-38), no green condoms on login and when I enter/leave the craft area, no reload screen when going from one side to the other. Far better.
    /snip
    This is basically what I've experienced from the sheepathon, quoted 'cause the 'green condoms' made me LOL

Bam

For all I care they could all be just green condoms
    ROFL !!!

Rift Disciple

a little less lag ....but still memory flows like water....in 1-2hrs just crafting there (ships are around ) ....it exceeds 4Gb limit and crushes :/

Any way, after visiting that city and before going anything else MUST restart game.

P.S. I feel like whole water plane leaks memory like water ;)
    Last edited by alexzk; 06-19-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Soulwalker

why sheep and not goats come on goats are way better than sheep or should I say mince sauce lol

Soulwalker

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by alexzk View Post
    a little less lag ....but still memory flows like water....in 1-2hrs just crafting there (ships are around ) ....it exceeds 4Gb limit and crushes :/

Any way, after visiting that city and before going anything else MUST restart game.

P.S. I feel like whole water plane leaks memory like water ;)
    i feel ya after 2-3 hrs and i clear cache makes my comp lag im running a i7 extreme and a ati hd 6990 16gb and windows 7 hope they get it together.

The sheep are apparently on strike due to them feeling slighted that there's all this green in Margle Palace, and none of it is grass.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Mutton to see here...
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast