+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT Behind the Scenes: Julia “Darkmoon” Fleming

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default RIFT Behind the Scenes: Julia “Darkmoon” Fleming

Recently we had a chance to sit down with RIFT’s Lead Content Designer and talk about the RIFT Team, content, and even a little bit about update 3.2!

It’s always fun to meet Devs on the RIFT team and learn more about what they’re working on next. This time Community Manager Eric “Ocho” Cleaver is sitting down with RIFT’s Lead Content Designer to learn all about her!

Ocho: So where did you come up with your handle?

Julia: It’s based on my very first MMO character from back in 2002. Actually, it goes back even before that, to my days of Live Action Role Playing when I was much younger and geekier than I am now!

Ocho: What’s your Role on the RIFT Team?

Julia: I’m the Lead Content Designer.

Ocho: What does that mean?

Julia: I oversee all RIFT content, from Instant Adventure to Story Quests to Zone Events. I also work closely with the Systems team to integrate what they do into new events and features. Explaining some of the differences between different roles on the team can be a bit confusing.

Ocho: I like to explain it as the Content Team creates what people do, the Systems Team creates the powers they do it with, and somehow the Engineers make it all work (but now I’m rambling). How did you join the RIFT Team?

Julia: You’re allowed to ramble! Let’s see – back in 2009, while I was working on another MMO, I heard (a lot) about this project some of my ex-coworkers were working on called Heroes of Telara. They kept telling me about the amazing team and eventually convinced me to come out to California and check it out. A month later I was working for Trion as a Content Designer. I started on Freemarch and Silverwood, and 5 crazy years later I still love it. I could probably create a RIFT zone in my sleep at this point!

Ocho: What’s a piece of content you look back on and say “Wow, I’m really proud I designed that”?

Julia: I am still really proud of the Kira and Uriel quest line. At the end of RIFT Beta, we decided we wanted to do more focused quest storylines to flesh out some of the characters who players interact with regularly in game.

I was working with another designer here on the team, and about halfway through designing the quest line for Kira and Uriel we turned to each other and said, “It seems like there would be a romantic connection between these two based on the story we’re writing.” So we decided to go with it. Over the years we’ve gotten many positive reactions and lots of great messages from players talking about how much it meant to them to see two of our face characters form a same-sex relationship.

Ocho: What piece of content that you worked on was something you think the players enjoyed the most?

Julia: Probably Ember Isle. With Ember Isle I was involved in every stage of its creation, from working with the Art Team on concept art all the way through creating quests to final polish. A lot of people have told me over the years that Ember Isle was some of their favorite content in RIFT, which makes me really happy!

Ocho: How is your previous role as a Content Designer different from your role now as Lead Content Designer?

Julia: Before I became Lead Content Designer, I was responsible for a list of development tasks and making sure that those pieces of content got done. I think of it like a puzzle: I had some of the edge pieces and a few of the pieces along the side to worry about. Now my job is to make sure the whole puzzle gets completed (while continuing to contribute my own pieces now and again). It’s both a stressful and rewarding experience, but I have the benefit of working with an amazing group of people.

Ocho: While we don’t want to talk too much about the RIFT 3.2 Update yet, is there anything you’d like to hint at right now?

Julia: Well, one of the Senior Designers (Tacitus) and I have been talking a lot about improving some of the INSTANT aspects of the game, especially those related to ADVENTURE. He’s got some interesting plans on how to make the current system more engaging for players of all levels – and a few surprises as well. Of course there’s a lot more to 3.2 than that, and you’ll be hearing more about it as we get closer to release!

Ocho: Do you have any final message for the players, or anything you’d like to ask them?

Julia: Mostly I’d like to thank you guys for the last four years. It sounds cliché, but we couldn’t do this without your feedback, play testing, and support.

My question to all of you is what would you like to see in the next four years of RIFT? Is there something we used to do more of that you miss, something new you’d like to see, or something you wish we’d never do again? Let us know!

Ocho: Thanks a ton, it’s been a lot of fun talking to you and I know the players will be glad to learn a little bit more about RIFT and its team.

Now it’s your turn, Ascended. Post your answers – Darkmoon can’t wait to hear from you!

Default I'm shocked.

Nooo, it broke my heart that Kira and Uriel are both homosexuals, especially with my Kira, why her? Lol sorry I haven't encountered their quest-line, I just encountered Kira in tb, and she's gorgeous.
    So, for the future of RIFT, will we be encountering the Goddess of Fate? lol
    Keep up the good work guys

Lightbulb Heres some suggestions

I would love to see less carnages and maybe the ones out there in each zone don't do 8 of each{just an example but vary it more it becomes rather boring fast.}.Flesh out more story quest lines that don't dead end. I have been playing since beta and am a hard sell{ seems like this xpac also has way to may carnages} and the beta is what fell in love with and why I recommended this game to friends. The quirky unique style this game began with is the road I would love to see it follow, trying to hang in, not loving the water world, but it is not the worse xpac in any game I have played. And Yeahhh to female game designers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post

My question to all of you is what would you like to see in the next four years of RIFT? Is there something we used to do more of that you miss, something new you’d like to see, or something you wish we’d never do again? Let us know!

Now it’s your turn, Ascended. Post your answers – Darkmoon can’t wait to hear from you!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it so characters can zoom their camera out past 100.000000 via changing the # in Rift.cfg file. Back in 2011 you could zoom your camera out past 100 but now it is capped at that number. What changed causing it to being capped? Was it a bug and done by mistake? Was it a intentional change? Any response to this would be very appreciated. This is something I think about DAILY for the past 1+ year.
    Last edited by Turntablist; 02-16-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Great to see another Behind the Scenes with the Trion team! I haven't done enough of the Defiant quest chain to see much of Uriel and Kira, but I might need to spend some time leveling up a Defiant character to check out that questline!

Also, completely agree with Ember Isle being an awesome content addition - Still the best open world content addition outside of day 1 expansion content. I remember spending a lot of time there and actively running the zone events. Trailer, World Event opening up the place, storyline, notoriety mount, Caduceus Rise (Upper/Lower) + MMCR, Infernal Dawn and the four unique initial zone events on the island were quite memorable.

The zone events definitely had impact and the mobs were a higher level than the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    A few points about what I would like to see in the next four years:
    • Myrkur Depths. This feels like something that Trion is already planning on opening up with the 4th zone to the right of Draumheim - I say this based on the lore, especially the Ghar Station broadcasts from Ghar Station Prime. That's really gotten me excited, especially since Prime is hostile to the Ascended.
    • New Raid Encounter Zones. Lately the 20-man raids have been doing what the 10-man raids used to be about - re-using open world or existing maps. Infinity Gate, Bindings of Blood, Mount Sharax for 3-4 bosses, Tyrant's Forge. They all use open world content. In the past we had GSB, RoS, Hammerknell Fortress, Infernal Dawn, Frozen Tempest, Endless Eclipse, Planebreaker Bastion. I hope that F2P hasn't caused a change so that the 20-mans are no longer in unique, new locations due to resource constraint.
    • The Planes. I hope we get to journey to the Plane of Fire, Plane of Air and Plane of Life during the next four years. The others would be nice as well, although I'm most interested in these 3. Hoping the color scheme is worked on for the Plane of Fire, although the Platinum Keep might help with that so the mobs aren't camo behind the landscape.
    • Hybrids. I'm interested in both the Planar Attunement hybrids as well as the lore in the Runic Athenaeum hinting that the edges of each planes when crossed over has hybrids. Really interested in knowing how Trion goes with this. Even Crucia in Tyrant's Throne talkes about becoming the Queen of Tempests, controlling both Air and Water in the same way she's tapped into Earth energy (Frozen Tempest) and Fire energy (Bloodfire). New hybrid mobs and factions appearing outside of just lore books would be amazing and really expand the universe.
    • More Chronicles. I would like to see more chronicles that either expand on current lore or just give the average non-raider the ability to experience it for themselves without a raid. I think ID: Laethys was going in the right direction.

Something to never do again:
    • Please don't kill off someone like Lady Glasya in a dungeon again. It felt like such a letdown. I assumed she'd escape, but instead she seems to have died in Gyel Fortress and I just thought "What? That's it? This person who we only just met who was hyped up by the presence of the Bloodfire Army at the end of Storm Legion and who is present throughout Goboro Reef is....it's over already?". At least Alsbeth got her own raid.

In terms of what I missed:
    • Special World Events and Epic Sagas. I miss them. They made new content additions feel more connected to the world and brought the story together. It felt like something was actually happening. For instance the opening of Ember Isle had a World Event where we gathered a ton of gold coins and noticed the Wanton Maw were shipping chests of this gold to Ember Isle via these interesting travel stones. There was a sense of involvement and something actually happening in the game.

Tyrant's Throne on the other hand is a small isle, and the quests are entirely situated in that zone. There didn't feel like there was more to it. On the other hand, Waves of Madness, the World Event that introduced Hammerknell Fortress got the entire player base involved. It felt like Akylios and the Abyssal Cult were truly a threat because they were affecting all of Telara.

Crucia seems like a small shell of what she once was (which might be intended, but still...) - before she brought her Storm Legion into our cities, Sanctum and Meridian. She gathered her forces all across Telara - now she's like a small blip. There just isn't as much 'impact' since what she's doing doesn't feel like it has any effect on the rest of the universe.

We had precursors to Nightmare Tide like the Sinister Presence in dungeons, Breaker Point and Nightmare Coast - which is great; but they could have all been brought together with a World Event. I doubt many people even know there's NT-related pre-cursor zone events in Silverwood and Freemarch.

tl; dr: Bring back special World Events. They don't have to be considered a 'waste' - new Rifts and Zone Events that come with the World Event can remain in the rotation as past ones have - and new quests that come with the World Event can remain as new Epic Sagas, just like the old Sagas.
    • 'Normal'-gained Mounts. I miss some of the old 'norm' of the game, like a mount vendor in major areas (Stillmoor, Shimmersand, IPP, Ember Isle) unlocked with plat and notoriety. Sure we have the Bounding Devourer, but that's 30k plat - I highly doubt many players have bought that. Buying lockbox mounts from the AH is great and all, but it feels like it's more 'shopping' and less 'gaming/progressing' to get the mount. I understand F2P is a different model from Subscription, but a few new mounts for reasonable amounts of plat/notoriety (not 30k plat) would be a welcome sight.
    • There's no Twisted Artifacts in NT yet, but I would like to see a return to rewards similar to Classic RIFT, rather than Storm Legion. In Storm Legion 'zone' Twisted Artifact sets didn't have rewards (for the most part) and some had excessive amounts of artifacts required. In Classic RIFT, each zone Twisted Artifact set gave a title. Each zone Normal Artifact set gave a pet, disguise or something similar.

Look at "The Dendrome" artifact set as an example: 30 artifacts required; no unique reward (just a cache of pots/scrolls). Then look at all the Classic RIFT zone artifact sets. There's a clear difference. Same with NT normal artifact sets.
    • New Models. New armor models would be great. NT drops use Level 50 Tier 1 raid armor models, same as with the Bindings of Blood raids. There was a lot of hubbub about it when the Level 60 Tier 3 raids came about, but I guess players have given up and settled in on the new norm for RIFT. New models would be nice for raid dropped gear.

It's stuff like this (re-use of old models, zone artifact sets not rewarding anything interesting, no IAs in Draumheim/Tarken Glacier, 20-man raids using open-world maps) that reminds me that Trion is now F2P and perhaps there's just no resources to maintain the same quality that RIFT used to have.

Don't get me wrong though - I understand that RIFT has to have items on the RIFT Store for Credits-only to keep the servers running, and that as Trion adds more and more features and content to RIFT, it also means a larger amount of expectations and stuff you have to maintain.

Adding Minions means players expect new content from Minions; adding wardrobe means players expect more wardrobe options; adding Chronicles means players expect more Chronicles; adding Twisted and Unstable artifacts mean players expect Twisted and Unstable artifacts in new zones. Adding Dimensions means players expect more Dimension Keys and items. I understand that.

I just wish Trion had the resources to maintain and continue to improve on the features they have, instead of having to remove stuff (special World Events, non-30k non-Credits or AH mounts, zone artifact sets with disguises/companion pets/titles, new armor models with every 20-man raid/etc).

Another example: Tyrant's Throne was kind of a let-down. Again, no special World Event introducing it, vast amount of land mass is inaccessible (basically the hill in the middle outside of the path to Crucia) so the area is rather small. Quest was short and outside of the dailies and I can't bring myself to suffer through the zone event more than once. Most of the models are rehashed from Storm Legion and Goboro Reef.

Again, don't get me wrong - new content is new content and it's appreciated; but I would be lying if I didn't admit it was a let down from what I was hoping for. Hope Myrkur Depth (if it's actually in the works) is a more interesting zone, and Tier 2 brings a new map.

And this has somehow turned into a rant so I'll stop it at that.
    Last edited by Jonus; 02-16-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Give us more gear which is based on token system rather than annoying RNG drops. Either that or get ird of big loot tables like last boss in the 10man instace. How come that from 12 bosses from 3 different instances only 1 drop rogue dps ranged weapon?

IA's are probably the most boring thing in the game. The bosses have way too much hp for all the newbes and unskilled players who take ages to kill one.

If we have to attack some boring npc at least use the old area's and let us attack the Sanctum or Meridan in IA missions. Maybe even add some pvp too it, so it will be less predictable. Give each side some limited options to control the npc, liking telling bunch of soldiers to defend specific points, etc.

If you're familiar with MOBA type of games you could create a mini one inside the RIFT as a side activity. You can make players use different form of monsters with few unique abilities. This way it will be a lot easier to balance.

Give more beter visuals with elemental dmg on top of that, so if specific weapon is coated with flames it would deal bonus fire dmg, instead of some random proc, etc. Most of the visuals cannot be used with weapon enchants which makes these vsuals useless.

Edit: you might want to think about re-modeling some races as they're very ugly with bad wardrobes on top of that. (i.e high elfs)
    Last edited by Otts; 02-16-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfaraon View Post
    you really need to play more pyro . I bet you are a warrior or rogue so your opinion is not accurate at all. By the way pyro is not even close to have the highest burst in the game tell that to a sin or warlord

Plane Touched

I actually love Ember Isle. I went back there a few weeks ago for a Parkour video. I chose Ember Isle because it is one of my favorite zones.

One of my guilds Dimensions uses one of the Ember Isle Keys and it is simply amazing.

I would like to see 2 older raids added back to the game. Many have not been around a long time so they may not remember them; Meridian and Sanctum. These were great PvP/PvE raids, taking over the cities with 20-40 guildies was awesome fun. With the merging of factions since SL need to just make it an instanced raid. The zone lay out is there, the bosses are there, the trash is more or less there, just need itemized loot and a instance barriers. As for the RP aspect since it would be odd for Guardians to sack Sanctum and Defiant to sack Meridian. How about a shape change / costume buff that makes us look like a random model of the opposite faction if we are indeed the same faction for the raid instance? Just a thought for some raids that utilize the older zones areas without a major investment into scripting.
    Uruketo, 70 Warrior
    <Grievance> Guild Leader
    Defiant - Wolfsbane
    http://www.grievancegaming.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    More Chronicles. I would like to see more chronicles that either expand on current lore or just give the average non-raider the ability to experience it for themselves without a raid. I think ID: Laethys was going in the right direction.

Special World Events and Epic Sagas. I miss them. They made new content additions feel more connected to the world and brought the story together. It felt like something was actually happening. For instance the opening of Ember Isle had a World Event where we gathered a ton of gold coins and noticed the Wanton Maw were shipping chests of this gold to Ember Isle via these interesting travel stones. There was a sense of involvement and something actually happening in the game.

tl; dr: Bring back special World Events. They don't have to be considered a 'waste' - new Rifts and Zone Events that come with the World Event can remain in the rotation as past ones have - and new quests that come with the World Event can remain as new Epic Sagas, just like the old Sagas.

New Models. New armor models would be great. NT drops use Level 50 Tier 1 raid armor models, same as with the Bindings of Blood raids. There was a lot of hubbub about it when the Level 60 Tier 3 raids came about, but I guess players have given up and settled in on the new norm for RIFT. New models would be nice for raid dropped gear.

It's stuff like this (re-use of old models, zone artifact sets not rewarding anything interesting, no IAs in Draumheim/Tarken Glacier, 20-man raids using open-world maps) that reminds me that Trion is now F2P and perhaps there's just no resources to maintain the same quality that RIFT used to have.

Don't get me wrong though - I understand that RIFT has to have items on the RIFT Store for Credits-only to keep the servers running, and that as Trion adds more and more features and content to RIFT, it also means a larger amount of expectations and stuff you have to maintain.

Adding Minions means players expect new content from Minions; adding wardrobe means players expect more wardrobe options; adding Chronicles means players expect more Chronicles; adding Twisted and Unstable artifacts mean players expect Twisted and Unstable artifacts in new zones. Adding Dimensions means players expect more Dimension Keys and items. I understand that.

I just wish Trion had the resources to maintain and continue to improve on the features they have, instead of having to remove stuff (special World Events, non-30k non-Credits or AH mounts, zone artifact sets with disguises/companion pets/titles, new armor models with every 20-man raid/etc).
    Picked out the bits that I feel most strongly about. Emphasis on special world events and epic sagas. These have been sorely missing, conspicuous even by their absence.

Chronicles, that can be soloed and don't require raid quality gear. There should be some moderately easy Chronicles (with moderate rewards) for story telling for those many of us who will never raid.

I didn't pull the quote about IAs, but here's hoping they will be improving greatly in the near future (I read there are changes in the works). I would love to have IAs to do as alternate content, but in their present state, I can't stand doing more than a few at a time and I only do them for the weekly.

Oh my gosh new models for wardrobe, questing rewards, etc. It's all the same old same old. I've been waiting ages for some new street clothes, too, based on models from Mathosia that so many of us have been asking for. I don't see much new in the way of outfits in PoW except for the Pelagic armor which is cool.

Good, thoughtful post, Jonus, and I hope Trion is really paying attention.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Default Yay DarkMoon!

Been a huge fan of the camaraderie between Darkmoon and CaptainCursor for some time, thanks for the humor dipped in intelligence and whimsy it is always fun to witness.

To answer THE question:

I fell in love with Rift because the realism of the design/art work along with finer details were brilliant. There were choices that made my game mine. Now I feel like I have less and less choice. I miss factions meaning something because pride and loyalty in a competitive way is fun. I miss fall damage because it's realistic and means I'm making choices to better my game play at every moment.

I miss cairns being in the Plane of Water and yes Ember Isles was my fave zone also, the rewards were unique, the bosses were epic and Searing Brink is still a fave designed spot looking down on Dormant Core I hope becomes a dimension! Swimming under water there was also fun, as well as fishing. It is the only place I went out of my way to do dailies and get my reputation maxed because of the rewards it offered and the way the dailies and instant adventures etc were.

Volan The Dreams of Blood and Bone world event is also my other favorite content along with Hammerknell 20 man. The River of Souls launch was the most fun I have had in Rift

I am not a huge fan of long drawn out things, at least not too many at a time. I will put in every effort if I know I can log on and accomplish something in my time not the games.

Two weeks ago I enjoyed leveling 60-65 on my second character who is now my main running Instant Adventures though I hope there will be more variety at this level. Thank you for adding minions to the rewards.

I do miss World PvP the way it was when River of Souls was activated but I know that isn't your field and if I think about it Meridian zone events would happen and part of the fun was protecting Meridian - how close the zone events were, the thought the main city might get taken over would see people charge out. The puzzles and titles you could get dancing with squirrels, jumping off cliffs, licking frogs etc, along with mounts via world events/rifts (still need my Shimmersand mount and pet) and unique costumes (Shimmersand Robes)

For me not being able to refer to the Lore in our game is a real bummer so new Lore becomes blurry quickly. I would love reasons, really good reasons to revisit old zones and somewhere reliable to read up on that zones lore again not just for mayhem reasons but maybe the old forage, butcher and mining materials get added to delicious new recipes or a revamp to dailies, maybe chronicles could take us back across the zones or new puzzles? I would also love to see the Thursday stream solely for Lore return to live stream.

I'd also like to see opportunity/ies for players to build some part of content whether it be a town, a part of lore a zone and would enjoy seeing Devs/CM's/GM's join in on random events for fun to boost our community.

Cheers and thanks for all the hard work Julia.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 02-16-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Since you are the Lead Content Designer, there is really only one thing I want. It's a doozy, but it would mean so, so much.

Give us the ability, PLEASE, to replay content. There are so many good storyline quests and sagas and things, and we can currently only enjoy them once per character.

I'm sure you've probably heard from Ocho (and maybe a couple other former Paragon Studios employees there) about the Flashback/Ouroboros system from CITY OF HEROES. It auto-mentored you to the appropriate level for the story arc, it scaled your XP and rewards accordingly, and you unlocked the content you could replay by doing it the first time.

For example:

I run the Guardian story arc that starts when I get to Stillmoor dealing with Kain; I run it, I finish it, I get my title (yay!). This would then unlock that particular storyline for me to play again. And between you and me, I would MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather replay storyline content for xp and planarite and what-have-you than grinding dungeons or raids.

You give us really good quests and sagas and things... please give us the chance to enjoy it more than once.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Plane Touched

Probably the biggest thing I want, honestly, is an apology for PW:W and a promise that a blatant paywall like that will never be put into the game again.

I'm satisfied with much else of the game. The lore is amazing, there's plenty of stuff to keep me more than busy and more than happy. But clear and blatant paywalls like PW:W are the biggest turn-off ever.

I get that you have to make money. I get that. I don't want to keep food off your plates. But PW:W was an awful idea and did a lot of damage to your brand and reputation. There are better ways to make money.
    Rokola@Faeblight
    Ranaa@Faeblight

Soulwalker

Default Thanks

Although I've played single player games from the first text based through all of the Kings Quest, Myst and others but Rift was my first MMO. I started when you guys had your first 7 day free trial, and was sold at my first Zone Event. But I also love the story quests, it's like getting to participate in a good book or movie, so keep those up.

Silverwood, Freemarch, and Ember Isle, are three of my favorite places. So I wanted to say Thanks!. Also wanted to say thanks to whoever invented the Blade-Dancer soul (so fun).

But could we have a little less snow and ice and a little more green?

I'd like to see and explore the other planes aside from Water in the next four years!!!

Also, more wardrobes. Specifically some more cool, bad-*** plate armors for females but I am merely getting my hopes up.
    Serale@Faeblight

Soulwalker

Default pvp

Nice if we could get some 3v3,4v4 and 5v5 content like in zones,5 minute lock out after quests starts. This would make more people join before quest starts and not leech of others .Capes you can put your Guild letter on{ B }.Over all great game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast