+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Official Glyph FAQ

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Official Glyph FAQ

Here is a collection of Frequently Asked Questions about the new Glyph platform that we have gathered. Please feel free to use this thread to ask any further questions you may have.
    • Will this require me to create a new Glyph account?
      • Nope! Glyph is the new name for Trion’s platform – Your existing account remains working exactly as it does today!
    • Can we just keep using the current launcher forever, or will we need to convert to the Glyph Launcher at some point?
      • The heart of the Glyph launcher is, very literally, our current launcher itself.
      • As a piece of technology, you can think of Glyph as a major version upgrade and you’d be 100% correct in doing so. This is about sharing the tech that does so well supporting our current games, as well as opening it to outside developers.
      • As with all version upgrades, when it’s a legitimate upgrade in user experience, the upgrade will be released to all users.
      • Your feedback will be a key part of that process, and you’ll be able to beta test it before it goes live. We’ll let you know here when that’s ready.
    • Will I be able to run multiple instances of games from the Glyph Launcher on my computer?
      • This is firmly our intention. This is actually something necessary on our end as well, as we use this capability when testing our games.
    • Will Trion share any details about its users as a result of Glyph?
      • Absolutely not.
    Last edited by Ocho; 03-11-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Sounds good

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3

A few more questions from the previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    Will we be forced to use the new launcher?
    Will my personal infromation be shared to third parties which have not been yet announced?
    Will there be a fee on using the launcher?
    Can I continue to use my Trion account for Rift if I do not accept the Terms of Service on the new launcher?
    Will we be forced to re-download all of the content via the new launcher?
    What incentives are there to use the new launcher?
    Migration to the new launcher will be automatic after significant community testing.
    No personal information will be shared.
    The accounts are the same.
    You won't be forced to redownload anything, it should work seamlessly.
    It's a better launcher.

Thanks,

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #4

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    My question would be, if this does replace the Rift launcher, how will affect users that are playing Rift through Steam?
    Steam users should be unaffected.

Thanks for doing this Ocho!

Here's some questions of mine:
    • The announcement mentions Trion's partners and DRM-free. Can you give us an idea of who these partners are?
    • Will we be seeing advertisements within the launcher from other non-Trion games?
    • When updating our client - how will this work? Will all games we have downloaded update at the same time, or only when we launch the individual title? Will there be a pause on individual titles if it is a multi-title update?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Will I be able to run multiple instances of games from the Glyph Launcher on my computer?
    • This is firmly our intention. This is actually something necessary on our end as well, as we use this capability when testing our games.
    Oooh. Does that mean we might see a fix for the current issues with rift.cfg? (that being: there is only one actual rift.cfg, and although separate install directories contain links to it, they don't actually use a local copy if you make one, they always load the one raw file from a fixed location, so you can't actually use any of those lovely settings like document directory to run two copies of the client.)

I do addon dev and it would be SO COOL if I could use two rift configurations without needing two full installs.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

As I do not play other games, will I be able to delete any other game listing from the new launcher, and have a way to never see them on my computer again.

As noted in another post, I do not wish any clog from things I do not wish on my computer, advertisements or anything, thanks. (i.e. "do not show again" )

Rift is all I want listed and nothing else.
    Last edited by Chaszar; 03-11-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaszar View Post
    As I do not play other games, will I be able to delete any other game listing from the new launcher, and have a way to never see them on my computer again.

As noted in another post, I do not wish any clog from things I do not wish on my computer, advertisements or anything, thanks. (i.e. "do not show again" )

Rift is all I want listed and nothing else.
    I second this.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

Default Rift, Glyph and CrossOver

How will Glyph affect those of us who use CrossOver to play Rift?

You still haven't really answered the core question here. Will we be subjected to this 'curated games collection' BS even if we want no part of it?

To be honest this is definitely going to be a poison pill for me. I just cancelled my Star Trek Online account because they're forcing ARC on us. If I have to use Glyph and be spammed with ads for games I couldn't care less about, Trion Worlds will be dead to me as well, and I'll just cancel my subscriptions, uninstall the products, and look elsewhere for my entertainment.

I want no part of being force fed game ads based on what YOU think I 'might' be interested in.

If it's significantly no different than what we have now, that may be acceptable. I don't find the current launcher intrusive, and as long as the ads are contained in the same window/format as we see announcements in the current launcher, I'd likely be ok with that. If I have to deal with pop up ads or other 'in your face' advertising that's intrusive and gets in the way of simply launching Rift, I'm done.
    Last edited by Vale; 03-11-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    Server issues? Check here first - http://www.riftgame.com/en/shardstatus/

Quote Originally Posted by Vale View Post
    You still haven't really answered the core question here. Will we be subjected to this 'curated games collection' BS even if we want no part of it?

To be honest this is definitely going to be a poison pill for me. I just cancelled my Star Trek Online account because they're forcing ARC on us. If I have to use Glyph and be spammed with ads for games I couldn't care less about, Trion Worlds will be dead to me as well, and I'll just cancel my subscriptions, uninstall the products, and look elsewhere for my entertainment.

I want no part of being force fed game ads based on what YOU think I 'might' be interested in.

If it's significantly no different than what we have now, that may be acceptable. I don't find the current launcher intrusive, and as long as the ads are contained in the same window/format as we see announcements in the current launcher, I'd likely be ok with that. If I have to deal with pop up ads or other 'in your face' advertising that's intrusive and gets in the way of simply launching Rift, I'm done.
    The Following is copy and past from Trion News page
    http://www.trionworlds.com/en/news/2...ames-platform/

Trion Introduces Its 10+ Million Players To Curated Selection of High Quality Games

Redwood Shores, CA – March 11th, 2014 – Trion Worlds, global developer and publisher of premium online games, has officially announced Glyph, a new lightweight digital hub for PC games and their digital goods. Glyph will introduce the more than 10 million players that have signed on with Trion Worlds to a curated collection of quality games, including Trion titles as well as games from hand-picked partners.

“In the past three years, we’ve reached more than 10 million gamers, supported 25 million transactions, and more than 50 million downloads have happened across our network,” said Scott Hartsman, CEO of Trion Worlds. “This shows that we’ve got an audience of dedicated gamers along with the technology and tools to meet their appetites. We’re interested in making it easier for our players to discover games and developers we want to support, while boosting visibility for those developers in the increasingly crowded world of PC digital gaming.”

Trion will be looking for games that players will want to spend time with and developers that have both passion and promise, inviting them to benefit from the millions of dollars the company invests in marketing and promotion every year, and to make their titles more discoverable to the gamers that make up the 10+ million and growing registered Trion Worlds customers.

Glyph was born of a desire of Trion’s teams to leverage its technology to help more developers connect with audiences they need to in order to thrive, and is intended to be player- and developer-friendly. All titles sold through Glyph will be delivered free from the Digital Rights Management (DRM) utilities that cause so many problems for gamers, while single player games will not require an always-on connection in order to be played.

Glyph began signing select developers in early 2014, and is expected to release with its full slate of launch partners in the weeks following the 2014 Game Developers’ Conference in San Francisco. Developers who are interested in meeting at the conference are encouraged to contact Trion at developer@glyph-games.com.

Developers who are interested in distributing their games on Glyph are encouraged to contact us at developer@glyph-games.com.
    R.I.P
    lvl 60 warrior
    He met his unfortunate demise in the form of a mandatory name change.

Ascendant

So THIS is what Hartsman came back to do, nothing to do with Trion games and their quality, everything to do with marketing and 'upselling' 'curated games collections'?

Last edited by Kerin; 03-12-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Rift Disciple

This is spectacular to read! Super excited.

Woo Hoo

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    So THIS is what Hartsman came back to do, nothing to do with Trion games and their quality, everything to do with marketing and 'upselling' 'curated games collections'?

Wow that was a leap

How about consolidating dev resources to maintain 1 code base instead of 4+ in order to use those resources on game dev??

You making such huge accusations and assumptions is just bleh

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Cambios View Post
    This is spectacular to read! Super excited.

Woo Hoo
    Really??

My experience of platform launchers of this type is nothing but bad.

Memory hogging ad spamming garbage that usually kicks you off the game if you close it while the game is running.

The worst example that springs to mind is ARC. Put me off playing anything from PW ever again.

I play rift. I dont want suggestions of other games, i want to play the game im paying for without interuption or bloatware junk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast