+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 154 ... LastLast
Like Tree3019Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Producer's Letter & Dev Diary - Introducing RIFT Free-to-Play

Quote Originally Posted by Methadras View Post
    These are Daglars own words: "This was not over night - we've been looking at this for over a year, carefully planning what the right transition for RIFT meant, a transition that gives real value to the users, not just a cash grab."

I don't mis-phrase anything. you don't look at something for over a year without having it in the works. You want to play semantic games with yourself, go ahead. I know what i see, I know what I read, I see the actions taken. I don't need you to educate me on what is vs. what is not.

Either Hartsman lied or the owners of Trion did. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
    That doesn't contradict what I said.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Where's PFalcon
    Now that you mention him, I could see him gloating right about now.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    I thought this way too, then looked at the date. It was over a year and a half ago when that article was posted. I think Daglar said they first put the question on the table early last year. So it wasn't until 2-4 months after that quote that they even started talking about a F2P model.
    When did Hartsman leave?

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #799
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Methadras View Post
    I don't reddit so i didn't see that. I'd rather see it here from an official person. I want to see an official list, not what the 'creative director' has to say about it. From the top, not a minion.
    Hi, I'm the guy in charge, the official source. I am the creative director.

~Daglar

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Gotta draw a line somewhere RoughRaptors. That's where I drew it.

~Daglar
    Sorry I seem to be a bit confused and I'm not trolling when I ask this, I just want your opinion if you are allowed to give it. If not, I understand.

Where did you draw the line out of curiosity? If I am understanding you correctly, buying gear directly for money is pay to win, but paying money for bonus raid marks you are already earning is not pay to win? Am I correct on this assumption or did I make a mistake somewhere? I agree that raid marks for money isn't AS bad, but in a sense you are still paying for raid gear, just as I said, indirectly.

Thanks

Edit: Sorry I didn't see your previous response to me, this is moving really fast :-/ I also had a final today which was two and a half hours of not reading.
    Last edited by RoughRaptorsOld; 05-14-2013 at 02:00 PM.

some of you people don't seem to realize that this is in motion and wont be stopped. you are either on board with a game you love and support and are willing to put forth even another 2 or 3 months just to see how it goes or you aren't.

F2P comes with cash bought items (cash shop) its un avoidable. They are also a buisness and as a buisness man my self its going to come first.

some of these things that you guys are upset about is pretty unreasonable for a F2P game model. the income from those offers are going to be what pays for your content. end of story.

So player A has the same item as you because he gets a chance at extra marks. big deal? you will have a much bigger pool of geared players to play with. the conternt is the same the fun is the same so whats the problem? epeens? my pretty orange gear means im better then you?

be realistic here guys. F2P comes with a cash shop. the cash shop pays for the game. the game continues to live on.

the only problem with f2p games is the community has much less sway over what gets to happen and lets be honest here. that's the real problem everyone is going to have.
    Zoartype@Deepwood

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #802
    Rift Team

Great read from 2011

I think a lot has been learned between the time that was posted and now. I know it has, because I've had a lot of in depth conversations on the subject with the person being quoted.

~Daglar

Shadowlander

Hi,

Two questions:

1. Why should I stay subbed?

Please explain to me why I should sub when the game goes F2P just for +15% coin earned, +10% mount speed and some leveling boosts (it is already much easier than wow to level in this game, and what about people with max level characters?)

2. How are you going to develop for this game with everyone playing for free?

Since there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to sub, how will you fund this game's development? If no-one subs, the only way I see you funding the game is by nerfing drop rates (like Diablo 3) to force people to use the cash shop, and introducing ever more obnoxious p2w items.

You said you listened to the community when you made the decision to go f2p. Players just want to get everything for free. You have to balance this by making the game financially viable: MAKING SURE THERE ARE ENOUGH PLAYERS, AND MAKING SURE ENOUGH PAY

I have tried many F2P games and you have to make people pay a small amount from very early on to keep playing, or they just won't pay at all. The problem is initially people play a game a lot, because it's something new. Then they get burned out or a new game comes out, and they leave. If you start charging at the endgame or other paywall, 99% of your players will never reach that stage and will not have spent any money on your game.

I currently play SWTOR. SWTOR's F2P conversion saved the game (finance-wise) because it's so restrictive. Essentially, for regular players the game is still sub-based. Casual players can still log in to play a few warzones and run a few dungeons per week. The existing playerbase is encouraged to keep their subs because the game didn't radically change (no p2w at endgame, no having to pay extra money on top of a sub to play at max level, essentially still plays as the old p2p game), they get rewarded with cartel coins for subbing, and their social experience has been vastly improved by being able to have their old friends drop in for the odd dungeon/warzone, and with f2p attracting new players they can scam on the ah/invite to guild.

Meanwhile, SWTOR is making a lot of money from new accounts. This mostly isn't from new subs or people paying money to play the endgame. In SWTOR, you realize pretty much from level 1 that paying $5 to unlock preferred status (giving chat, etc) will make for a much better experience. $5 is pocket change, so most people have no problem in doing this. They then play 30 more hours, realize the game isn't actually for them, is too grindy, get bored or a new game comes out - BUT THE IMPORTANT THING is they paid money, tens of thousands of new people come to this realization every day and there is a never ending supply of such people ("there's one born every minute").

Essentially, SWTOR's still sub paying playerbase is subsidized by tens of thousands of new players paying $5 to upgrade to preferred status each day, with most leaving soon after or playing very casually. There are many people who will never pay a sub or support microtransanctions, but will pay $5 to upgrade their account even if they quit soon after. This is why SWTOR is making more money with F2P.

So Trion, please reconsider your F2P model. If you make the game completely free and without restrictions, new players won't pay. If you only introduce charges later on, most f2p players won't get to that stage and you won't be making any extra money. Instead, especially if the charges are at endgame and ongoing, you'll just piss of your existing subbed playerbase, who'll realize this game is p2w and there's no actual point in playing the game, because it's not a virtual world full of adventure but a cash-grubbing exercise.

---------------------------------------------
    tl;dr version:

So Trion, please don't nerf drops, keep endgame as it is (sub-based, with no cash shop boosts or advantages), allow casual players to log in to chat with their sub-paying friends and join them for a limited number of pvp minigames/dungeons/raids a week (hey if you're casual, that means you can't justify a sub because you don't enough free time - why should you get unlimited dungeons then? Pay a discounted sub ~$1 to unlock unlimited dungeons for a week, if you want to play more), and charge f2p players at the gate a small easily justifiable amount (~$5) since most won't reach endgame anyway.

F2P opens the gate to letting a lot of new players try the game. 90%+ of people (this is true of any game) will not play a f2p game more than 30 hours before getting distracted with a new game, getting bored/burned out, or something real life comes up. You have to get money from them by the end of their first or second game session (a couple of hours in), or they won't spend any money at all. If you start forcing people to p2w at endgame, you'll just piss off your existing playerbase, without getting any money from new players that never reached max level anyway.
    Last edited by Kharnamatic; 05-14-2013 at 02:06 PM.

We don't plan on putting land mass, dungeons, raids, or quests behind paywalls.

~Daglar
    When should we be seeing a list of what will be behind a paywall. And the fact that you 'don't plan on' ranks right up there with this game 'not planning on going f2p'. I would just like to read succint, direct speech that doesn't seem weasley or leaves a back door open.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodario View Post
    Sorry bud, but if you believe everything that Bioware spews out, then you are just a naive as a 10 year old.
    Again, if you have no clue how something works, Don't comment on it...

News flash, Lying during an Earning Call is in fact Illegal..
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

Soulwalker

It's not interesting for me to play with underaged players ("rofl lol"..) and fight against bots for mats - or if i think a little wider: to fight for the auctionhouse prices when I'll sell something..

Also I think, there will come a ingame shop. Enough things to quit playing Rift.

So, I'll uninstall Rift when F2P will get active. I feel sorry also for the played time of 160d and 40d.. about 4.800 played hours; I was nearly the 36 Month Subscriber Archievement.

Sorry and bye guys ;(

Guys, this has been in the works for quite some time, and no one left the company because of this decision. This was not over night - we've been looking at this for over a year, carefully planning what the right transition for RIFT meant, a transition that gives real value to the users, not just a cash grab.

I understand that any number of you are upset right now, that this is a shock to some of you. It's our job as developers to prove to you, with actions, not words, that this is the best thing for RIFT.

~Daglar
    If you had hinted at this even a bit I would not have purchased the SL/1 Year bundle.
    Last edited by nicold; 05-14-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    "I killed and ate a girl in 1990." - Jacob 'Daglar' Daglarson
    "Nicold is the best mage EU" - Arthur "Noge" Nogenstein
    "Nicold is the best warrior NA" - James "RoughRaptors" Franco
    "Nicold carried <Virus> through ID" - Gary "Ogdru" Ogdruington
    "Nicold was my surrogate father." Wayne "Wayyyyyyne" Waynenstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    That doesn't contradict what I said.
    Nor does it refute what I said. Detente.

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #809
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tedane View Post
    So you thought of this before alot subbing for a whole year lol you really do sound crooked i remember dalgar saying this game will always be Sub based and they have manipulated some into year subs while plotting this ,i have never seen a thread asking this game to be free to play like the video claims and also ad mayeb as my freind said you should look into your classes as some are only using 1 build atm shame on you ,bunch of liars.You turned interests to defiance and you cant deny that and lost interest in rift .
    I have never once publicly said that RIFT will always be sub based. You may be confusing me with someone else.

Also to dispel rumors, the RIFT team works on RIFT here in Redwood City, the Defiance team works on Defiance down in San Diego.

~Bill "Daglar" Fisher

Hi, I'm the guy in charge, the official source. I am the creative director.

~Daglar
    Yeah, I see that now. I just didn't know your real name.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 154 ... LastLast