+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 156 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 139 ... LastLast
Like Tree3019Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Producer's Letter & Dev Diary - Introducing RIFT Free-to-Play

Prophet of Telara

Daglar, if you have the time, please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please PLEASE look at SWTOR's "free to play" model and then do the EXACT opposite of that! It's a textbook example of what F2P shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Guys, this has been in the works for quite some time, and no one left the company because of this decision. This was not over night - we've been looking at this for over a year, carefully planning what the right transition for RIFT meant, a transition that gives real value to the users, not just a cash grab.

I understand that any number of you are upset right now, that this is a shock to some of you. It's our job as developers to prove to you, with actions, not words, that this is the best thing for RIFT.
    It may be the best thing for Rift--finanically.

It is not the best thing for the players who have supported you up until now. You just slapped them in the face.

It is not the best thing for new development. Bugs not associated with the cash shop will go unfixed. Additions to the game with be firmly attached to the cash shop. Players will have a small sampling "for free", and to get more they will have to pay extra. That includes you fools who stay subscribed.

It is not the best thing for the community. Gone will be the days of joining with others to explore new sites and overcome new obstacles. Replacing that will be coupon days and store sales. Discussions will focus on making smart shopping choices rather than tactics discussions about new opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaidar Haran View Post
    2. 15% currency: Consider that RIFT has always been a game NOT focused on platinum and there are prolly 10,000s of accounts with 5k+ platinum on their account at this moment. This is just one of those "Deer in a head Lights" effect in my mind.
    For your consideration: You will be able to buy REX with plat from other players, and redeem them for store items. This 15% boost means you can get more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazui View Post
    You don't get to take the moral high road after informing your player base you knowingly sold them year long subs only to give them six months of service and some in store credit to make up the other six months.

Since you like being blunt, I thought I would return the favor.
    I don't think Daglar was in the same position he's at now when they sold the year deals. I also don't think they did it knowing that they would be going F2P before it was up. It might've been on the table, but they weren't done talking about it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    I think that used to be the sentiment, but the world we're in now is very F2P friendly. IMO, anyway. Gut reactions aside, I think we'll be definitely be seeing people give us a look.
    "The world we live in now is very F2p friendly"?

I seriously doubt your bosses would agree to this. F2P is a copout and just hurts the current subscriber base period. The goal of F2P is to add new people into the mix with the hope that 1 out 4 signs up or pays. F2P is a desperate move period. It's a shame the MMOs got his route and now people like you think it's the norm. Simply put: F2P is killing games like this and I simply hate it.

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #576
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax1114 View Post
    The character slot thing is part of what I'm wondering about.

I mean, what if someone has like 7 characters or something and then cancels, do they lose access to all of those characters? Do they have to choose some to unlock and play and others to leave locked?

I know it's not going to be the most common issue, but I'm sure there are people who would run into it.
    Patron status does not grant additional slots - it does not include things that taking away would dramatically lessen gameplay.

Your character slots are an attribute of your account - and everyone posting in this thread is a Veteran of RIFT. You don't lose anything.

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by insodus View Post
    Ah man, so disappointed in this. So many games follow the same pattern...

Pander to the masses in hopes of bringing in new players. In reality end up bringing in 12 year olds with no money or casuals who dont want to pay for the game anyway.

Result: Game population initially spikes (with an official announcement declaring victory no doubt) and the game all but dead after 6 months when they all move on to something else. RIP Rift, my favorite MMO ever.
    Actually casuals pay the bills and keep an mmo thriving as wow has proven.

Rift is an amazing game but it unfortunately did not catter enough to casuals. Raiders overall especially hardcore are the minority of a game playerbase.
    "That's all we expect of man, this side the grave: his good is - knowing he is bad."

Will there be Patron-only Shards? Plx!

wut
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rodario View Post
    Truth hurts no?

Shall I link the several posts asking about region transfers and such? Or you just don't want to see that?[/QUOTE]
    OH NO!
    ANOTHER POSTER IS GONNA REINFORCE MY ORIGINAL POST!

As I said, you can't make everyone happy.
    Everything and its mother will cause a loss of subs for one reason or another, be it region transfers, be it race/gender changes, be it anything.

All you're looking to do is try to guilt trip people just so you can make yourself feel good.
    Its incredibly petty of you to do so and you know it, its why you're going on the offense instead of simply dropping the matter.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Maybe the super l33t folks can help teach them how to play and help integrate new folks into the community, instead of asking for segregation and telling people how terrible they are for being a new user?

In all seriousness, who says that free players are bad? That is a stereotype, some of the folks that pop into the game will probably be returning veterans.

~Daglar
    There are plenty of helpful people, myself included, who help players all the time by writing guides and such. I receive plenty of tells and PMs asking for specific help and I never deny anybody. Yet it seems good players are so far and few between, why is this still with so many good resources available?

And if veterans wanted to return, they would have a long time ago. $15 a month will not hold a truly devoted MMO player back from anything. It is simply boredom for when these people quit, there is nothing appealing to bring them back and if anything this would deter them any further from coming back.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #582
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax1114 View Post
    Here's a suggestion for Trion in regards to this: Give 1 free charge of a weapon appearance change to those who are subscribed through the change to F2P as a loyalty bonus. Will give you a chance to see the feature working in game before ka-ching buyers spend money, potentially show off the feature to new players so that they will be incentivised to buy, and give loyal subscribers a chance to experience (for free) a feature that many of them have been giddy over the thought of for months.
    We actually have some of these as loyalty rewards along the way. I would expect that those of you that have been playing for some time will receive a few - per character.

~Daglar

Soulwalker

Shall we thank Defiance for this change (its cost, etc... ) ? Are we going to play a gain whose only goal is to bring some cashflow to another game (YES, champions online, you're the one I'm talking about ! ) ?

I'm not sure that most players prefer the F2P model. Wildstar asked players what their preference was, and it seemed that a F2P model was not what players waited for.

What are the reasons behind this change ?
    Does this mean Rift is slowly but surely crashing ?

Rift Disciple

I'd like to be able to purchase the planar essences, rather than grind out IS on my main that has the rep~

I'm ok with the f2p choice.

My only question is with us current subscribers. I understand that we won't lose anything we currently have. I understand that we'll be given some currency and favor. And I understand that we'll be given patron status because of our subscriptions.

Where I'm lost is that will this patron status be for the remainder of our active and/or prepaid subscription? Or will it be something that never expires?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 156 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 139 ... LastLast