+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Important notification concerning your Trion Worlds account

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Important notification concerning your Trion Worlds account

Please visit www.trionworlds.com/AccountNotification for more information

RIFT Guide Writer

I already changed password.

Also, thank you for the free gifts.

Well [EDIT]. Password and stuff changed. Good thing I use authenticators across the board.
    Last edited by Augureze; 12-22-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Language, 1 word

ty guys! for doing the right thing unlike... idk...psn?
    Now known as Menthol of galena.
    my spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...uhcV.xxoAksqxk
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

thanks for the heads up
    Seltara ~ Defiant

Sweet 10% Coin increase - Oh wait...you have to equip it as a trinket.

No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

Plane Touched

Considering that for many people, the illegally obtained information is plenty to cause serious harm in the wrong hands via now very easy social engineering,
    And considering that it is now December, many people may already have had their yearly free credit report,

How is Trion planning to compensate us for extra credit reports or any other possible costs incurred as a result of this security breach?

Quote Originally Posted by Dekae View Post
    Considering that for many people, the illegally obtained information is plenty to cause serious harm in the wrong hands via now very easy social engineering,
    And considering that it is now December, many people may already have had their yearly free credit report,

How is Trion planning to compensate us for extra credit reports or any other possible costs incurred as a result of this security breach?
    By giving you 3 days of play time - doh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

Thank you for the heads up. I would suggest though that you sticky the DevTracker entry for this so it doesn't get accidentally buried and people miss it. You might also want to have the force reset on forums login. I rarely, if ever, login through the website proper anymore.
    Telarans on class balance: Rock is overpowered. Paper is fine. - Scissors

Totally off-topic. But Elrar I must say I fancy your avatar.

Telaran

Thankyou. I'm impressed that you're so open about it. Most companys wouldn't. +1

Soulwalker

No security system is 100% hacker proof. However, companies that have good security policies get out in front of the problem and inform their customers in a timely manner. Trion has done just that.

Think about it. SWTOR launched this week and is one of the most hyped and anticipated MMOs - directly competing with RIFT. It also happened as they were just kicking off a free trial period to attract new and former players. They could have waited to confirm what data was stolen and sat on the information for at least a month or so. Instead, they got the information out via email and social networking sights and took a HUGE PR hit just before the holidays to warn their customers and help prevent fraud to their financial accounts.

Sony, TJX, BJ's, and other large companies sat on their breaches as long as they could - and in most cases the databases that were compromised contained full credit card numbers with no encryption. If you think EA wouldn't have done the same if the situations were reversed your kidding yourself.

I'm not happy Trion got hacked - especially compromising my DOB. That being said by notifying their customers of the breach as soon as possible rather than trying to protect potential profits shows they have the community's back at heart and are trying to do the right thing as fast as possible. The new password policy is the strictest I've seen (and I'm in banking) and expanding passwords to allow that many characters should give even the best keyloggers writing cramps.

Thank you Trion for how you responded to this situation.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Cromagis View Post
    By giving you 3 days of play time - doh.
    While some of you may be pleased with Trion's "compensation" of free play, I think this security breach seriously brings into question Trion's ability to manage their own information. The current disclosure of personal information rises to the level of mandatory disclosure to affected clients per state law. I know, its what I do so hold your applause relative to the fact they informed the playing communicty. What the disclosure does not accomplish is assurance to the playing community that information will remain (or begin depending on how you look at it) start to be safe. At the end of the day, this kind of crap kills games because it causes the playing community to feel uncomfortable (or maybe I'm the only one). Not the best business model given the selection of alternatives. Now you may say this happens all the time. Maybe with older games written with obsolete code. I'm a little surprised that Trion has experienced such a breach in its relative infancy. Its not like Trion is some babe in the woods and doesn't know the pitfalls in gaming security. Frankly I'm disappointed and so are select players who decided this causes them too much concern to continue.

Soulwalker

Default Thank you Trion

Thank you Trion for being honest and straight with us. You guys are really great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast