+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Guild Spotlight - <Epic>, Kaleida Shard

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Guild Spotlight - <Epic>, Kaleida Shard

Since 1996 Jaden has been involved with the World Community Grid. Now he and his guild, <Epic>, are working to forward in-game achievement while they are in Telara, and donating CPU resources to accelerate scientific research when they aren’t.

For those not familiar with the World Community Grid, it’s a simple way for people from all over the world to donate their unused processing power for use in humanitarian research that may not otherwise be completed due to the high cost of infrastructure – like a nice, not-for-profit, Skynet that isn’t self-aware.

When we asked Jaden about the inspiration to get himself and his guild involved, he cites a lecture discussing points such as “how gamers are not being utilized” and have “great untapped potential.” While some games like the super-addictive “FoldIt” (www.fold.it) offer a hands-on approach to solving real-world problems, Jaden thought that rewarding people for playing their MMO of choice would be a better way to invite established and invested gamers to contribute. The way it works is simple: in a manner reminiscent of the way some guilds award “DKP,” Jaden gives in-game perks to guild members based on how many hours of CPU time they donate to the project (their current focus is Clean Air). Of course, all guild members still get the in-game fun, camaraderie and ‘phat lewtz’ that come with clearing raids and closing rifts.

When we asked him how other players could get involved, he said “Anyone can get involved with http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org by signing up and running the program.” He went on to say that, while it would be great if you tracked <Epic> down on their server to join, he’d much rather see interested players and guilds doing the same thing on different servers for maximum effect.

A the time we spoke with him, Jaden said <Epic> was just a quest away from level 7 and quickly coming up on 2,500 members. Ranks are determined by character level, and by the time characters are of sufficient level to assist with guild leveling objectives, they are included in officer chat – as you can guess, everyone in the guild is working very hard to hit the guild level cap. When we asked him about his favorite memory of the guild to-date, he told us it was getting the first guild member signed up to participate in the WCG project. He says “it may not sound like much, but getting the first person signed up with World Community Grid was fantastic, it made it solid in my mind that this concept could, will and is working…”

Thanks to Jaden and <Epic> for taking a few moments to share this with us. We wish them the best of luck with their goals in – and out of – Telara.

Want to share your guild's story and possibly be featured in a future Guild Spotlight? Send it to us at guilds@trionworlds.com!
    Last edited by Zann; 04-26-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Banned

Good read 10/10

Soulwalker

Ya got me to sign up! I'll prob get it on the hubby's computer as well

Default Doubt it

2,500 members...well, grats on that. Is the entire server in one guild?
    Also, with so many said members you would/should be at guild level cap.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusX View Post
    2,500 members...well, grats on that. Is the entire server in one guild?
    Also, with so many said members you would/should be at guild level cap.
    More members doesn't give you more weekly quests. Hence, they shouldn't be any higher than they are.

Soulwalker

A 2,500 member guild that does sound a lil over the top when a server max is about that big...

I'd assume 2500 includes alts. That said... not everyone on a server logs in at once.

Soulwalker

Hats off to Jaden, Epic, and anyone else who is part of this movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeusfist View Post
    More members doesn't give you more weekly quests. Hence, they shouldn't be any higher than they are.
    My guild has less members (still very large) and is one bar from hitting level 10. They're way behind for their supposed size.

Id much rather run Folding@home and help use CPU cycles to search for cures to diseases and medical research than some liberal pro-epa organization. But, something tells me the guild leader is probably an Obama Supporter anyways.

Talk about a zerg guild... 2500 members? really?

if you want to use your cpu for a better cause, then do folding@home and help medical research. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Krazymagic View Post
    Id much rather run Folding@home and help use CPU cycles to search for cures to diseases and medical research than some liberal pro-epa organization. But, something tells me the guild leader is probably an Obama Supporter anyways.]
    You just had to bring that in here, eh? Let them support whatever cause they want, it isn't time or money out of your pockets.

Kudos to Epic for doing more universal good with their time than most of us.
    If looking for a guild on Greybiar where a person can find like-minded adults with RL responsibilities, work/family commitments, and limited play times, please follow this link:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...n-Iron-Society

My hat is off to Jaden and Epic! It's awesome to convince gamers to think beyond their own selves and contribute to society! And it just starts with one!

I had no idea that organization existed. Sending that info onto all my gamer friends, too!
    Last edited by Jorun; 04-26-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Great job!

Good job Jaden & Epic!

I can't believe that people make comments about the size of the guild and that you should be further along. Who cares! Your doing something good for other people and that's all that matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Krazymagic View Post
    Id much rather run Folding@home and help use CPU cycles to search for cures to diseases and medical research than some liberal pro-epa organization. But, something tells me the guild leader is probably an Obama Supporter anyways.

Talk about a zerg guild... 2500 members? really?

if you want to use your cpu for a better cause, then do folding@home and help medical research. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main
    Its people like you that in the long run ruins in game community.

Gratz to Epic though !
    Lorek - Bard of Phoenix
    Guardian on Greybriar

Soulwalker

exceptionally cool idea! thanks for sharing the inspiration.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast