Closed Thread
Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Account Security Discussion

Soulwalker

I've played wow since vanilla and been hacked, I used copy and paste to input my pw for a while which worked well (can't remember the shortcut now). Now I have an authenticator and I pretty much think that sorted the wow hacking problem out, I feel that it's the way to go. I have a keyring style as I felt that the phone way could be vunerable due to the fact that I use my phone to collect emails whilst away from home. I'm trying (and liking) rift so maybe the rift community should push for authenticators I haven't had a problem with wow since and haven't heard of anyone with one having problems tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariella View Post
    If you have a keylogger attached to your Rift launcher, set to self distruct once it obtains the info it was after, it doesn't seem odd at all that only one account was compromised.
    And yet people get re-compromised after changing their passwords.

On the one hand, you insist that the keylogger is persistant and grabs all passwords. On the other, you say it self-destructs after getting the info.

It can't be both.

Keyloggers are not adequate to explain the observed phenomena.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfullysweet View Post
    Elrar, any idea what could have caused it or source? Still haven't found anything on my pc, and still unnerved a bit. Changed password, changed email, to literally something not known on any machine or account. Never registered my rift account anywhere other than with rift.

If I could find a keylogger or something I would be at ease. But I can't find a thing. Any idea on yalls end of what has been the common place or statistic of where this came from?
    Did you try running the anti virus stuff before your processes load? You need to get a hard boot AV that you can run while you system is running in safe mode before the keylog has a chance to hide itself.

I want the IP of the guy who hacked you back. You have no idea. I would have some fun.

Soulwalker

Elrar, any idea what could have caused it or source? Still haven't found anything on my pc, and still unnerved a bit. Changed password, changed email, to literally something not known on any machine or account. Never registered my rift account anywhere other than with rift.

If I could find a keylogger or something I would be at ease. But I can't find a thing. Any idea on yalls end of what has been the common place or statistic of where this came from?
    I'm in exactly the same boat. AVG, Malwarebytes, and Spybot all clean and clear after I found the moneyless toon, and have been clean. Changed my email/pass via my phone's browser just to be safe.

But there's zero indication that anything is wrong on *this* client's end, and that's more worrying than anything. My friend logged on from my PC just a few days backk; his account hasn't been compromised, so I can't imagine how mine has been, if it's an issue on my end.

With no malicious software found on my system, what's to say it won't happen again, and I'll be essentially locked out until Customer Service gets it sorted. As it is now, I don't want to play and advance my toon, since I imagine their "fix" will be to roll the character back to an earlier point. Until they begin offering another layer of authentication, either smartphone or physical keyfob, I'm seriously considering putting my account on hold.

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Did you try running the anti virus stuff before your processes load? You need to get a hard boot AV that you can run while you system is running in safe mode before the keylog has a chance to hide itself.

I want the IP of the guy who hacked you back. You have no idea. I would have some fun.
    *grins and hugs Pure* If I find it, or the person who hacked me dear, he is all yours. I will even buy you the bats to beat him with. =D

Will try it again with a different av program. Willing to do whatever it takes to find out what it is or who it is on my machine. (If it is some sort of self destruct keylogger...I am getting a bat myself and flying overseas to damage any internet cafe/gold farmer hub I find...)

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    oc, he was also using his real ip`!!!

*grins and hugs Pure* If I find it, or the person who hacked me dear, he is all yours. I will even buy you the bats to beat him with. =D

Will try it again with a different av program. Willing to do whatever it takes to find out what it is or who it is on my machine. (If it is some sort of self destruct keylogger...I am getting a bat myself and flying overseas to damage any internet cafe/gold farmer hub I find...)
    I think you may need more than a bat...

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaedence View Post
    Never underestimate the rage of a southern white girl with a bat. Who has had three kids. (to have had three kids, and let the husband go over the road as a driver, I gotta be some kind of insane!)
    Last edited by Sinfullysweet; 03-16-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaedence View Post
    I could lend you a jet.
    Ruranak - Cleric - Greybriar - Guardian :: Sacred Haven

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Antec Lanboy Blue - 80GB SSD

Soulwalker

Thumbs down I was hacked two days ago

I was hacked two days ago. Sorry, but with no response and no action to date, I am cancelling my account.

They should have anticipated this kind of hacking and preempted it. I mean they've drawn almost everything from wow, why not consider their level of account security too (authenticator).

Thanks for trying trion but I'm tired of this kinda BS. I play a game to have fun, not to pay for and ultimately be frustrated by hackers. Lack of communication for my ticket was simply too much.

Soulwalker

Proper Account/Computer Security measures should always be taken and have been posted here ad nauseam.

1. The keyloger all riftplayers have is called "riftpatchlive.exe", shocked? you shouldn't be, after all you installed it.
    2. The perps have a cyclical window of 00:00:01 to 00:14:59 (hhmmss) once an account has been authenticated, sometimes they can't "finish the job" leaving you partially spent
    3. Simple dev tools (open source and otherwise make this exploit very easy)

*waves hand* these aren't the exploits you're looking for, you can go about your business...*/waves hand*
    So it is true that this is on the client side, from a certain point of view.

Perhaps some of the accounts were compromised via weak passwords/keylogging etc..., but Trion needs to fix the authentication system FAST! Taking away the pellet/cheese/motivation is great (coin lock), however they'll still mess with the system so please work hard to fix this permanently.

P.S. The SSL connection is good when used properly, and with all other bits locked away. Please toss the convenience window, because what's convenient for one is convenient for all.

Thanks for your efforts Trion, good health and happy coding!

Telaran

It's official, I had my MMO-cherry popped today as well. So far I've played MMOs since the early days of Ragnarok online and I have yet to be hacked once. I'm pretty paranoid about links and keyloggers and regularly change my passwords etc. Hell, I don't even type them in, I copy and paste the damn thing just in case.

And now today, or yesterday technically, someone started logging in while I was online. Now, after a roughly 20 min battle of who gets to stay online someone adviced me to run ar ecovery, like it would make a difference. I did so and six min later I return to find myself standing in Sanctum with half my bank inventory (the half with a sale value) and half my gear gone. Before everything went bonkers I gave a friend every last penny I was carrying to keep that out of harms way but coincidentally I now had 12 plat on me. Suspiciously accurate sum to a full tanking set and half my dps one. After contacting customer support via phone (changed my password three times during the attack, not that it mattered a damn bit since it didn't kick the intruder out to login) they told me there is ****-all they can do other than make a rollback and tell me to suck my thumb while I wait these up to 48 hours.

I asked, could they perhaps block my account so the bastard got kicked out as well? No. Could they somehow manually log me off? No. What they could do was wish me all the best and tell me to check back in up to 48 hours. Now here's the kicker: The hacker returned half an hour later and cleaned out everything that was left, everything but the helmet. Yay.

Let me just say that my subscription is hanging by a damn fine thread at this point.

Default These attacks are client side

"These attacks are client side and can be indicative of invasive programs being installed without your knowledge."

Since it is known that the attacks "are client side" then that is of huge concern and a very strong accusation that says users might have a security issue. What is the attack vector that needs to be blocked? Is this a Microsoft exploit, a browser hole, or a 3rd party program that is the vector? Why was that info not revealed us in the 1st post of this topic? Have antivirus companies been notified of this? Is there a removal tool for the malware?

Glad the Coin Lock system is being put into place.
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

Soulwalker

My account was hacked 2 days into playing this game!

I logged in on the 13th I believe after the patch and figured out quickly the next morning that I had lost 16 plat and no items from my inventory or bank were missing. So I chalked this up to 1 of 2 things, either the patch created an anomaly, or I was keylogged/hacked (I work at a distinguished company in there IT/Networking department so the chance's of the later were pretty slim, but who knows right ! ? !)

First thing I did that day was to run our Compilation of virus scanner package on DVD.. (around 9 *UPDATED* A/V programs that run full scans on the computer in succession of there individual full scans, nothing so far that I've seen after 3 years could beat this) and my computer came out flawlessly clean with 0 traces of viruses/tracking cookies/trojans/malware/keyloggers/cookies @ 0 even :P

So, I dropped CS a ticket. No answer, to this day, nothing! 4 days have passed and I'm out 16 plat, but wait, it gets better.

I file about 2 other petitions regarding the same dissapearing plat issues, as a few of my guildees have now had the same thing happen, and to date: the ratio is about 1:4 in my guild of ppl who have had there coin disappear.

I then change my password figuring a precautionary measure was definately needed, so I created a XXXXXXXXXXX password in a random alpha-numeric combination.

I log out last night, figuring wtf 16 plat is a nice amount to lose, but I'm liking this game enough to not let it bother me and amassed a 8 plat surplus after being robbed of my previous 16 plat.

I log back in this morning, I have 0 items in my bank, nothing but quest related items in my inventory and the plat I just re-made has been stripped.

I've played MMO's ever since EQ1, and only having 1 compromising event ever happen in that gaming span. I've had 2 account comprimises in the first week of playing this game.....

Something is going on here!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I was hacked two days ago. Sorry, but with no response and no action to date, I am cancelling my account.

They should have anticipated this kind of hacking and preempted it. I mean they've drawn almost everything from wow, why not consider their level of account security too (authenticator).

Thanks for trying trion but I'm tired of this kinda BS. I play a game to have fun, not to pay for and ultimately be frustrated by hackers. Lack of communication for my ticket was simply too much.
    I'd hate to say it, but I am on a similar fringe. Was hacked Monday night. It's now Wednesday. I've opened up 2 petitions, and so have all my guildies in which they've tried to get into contact to redirect to me. I've also called Trion's support line twice, to be told that I'll be contacted shortly... They wouldn't give me an ETA, but said the max wait is 48 hours.

I reported @ 12 A.M. Tuesday (Long story, couldn't sleep) and it's now 7 P.M. Wednesday. We are nearing the 48 hour mark... And I have not even received a notification that they are working on it.
    Letendeth - 50 Warrior of Faemist - <No Fat Kids> - We are Recruiting!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast