+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ambrodel

Thread: Cleric or mage?

Soulwalker

Default Cleric or mage?

Hello. I'm not a newbie, however I've never hit max level. I've been playing Rift since almost the beginning, sharing my time with other top mmorpgs. But nevertheless, always coming back to Telara. I just love it. It's beautiful, story is nice and I really like instant adventures.

Never cared about end game content, however this time, want to try it. Hence I created my beloved fearless dwarven cleric druid maiden. It's called differently, but is a satyr summoner and melee fighter. I love her. I gave her my heart and she is at some point very durable. But it seems that noone appreciates clerics anymore and the most important thing on focus is dps ratio.

I enjoy the game and want to be uselful so I created elementalist (a mage using elemental pets, whatever class name is). Must admit, they do kill mobs faster, but are more squishy, guess it's because of the armor.

Can you please advise: shall I develop my dwarven girl or my girly eth mage?

Quote Originally Posted by Convalia View Post
    If you're actually going for top end content as a dps, neither of those classes will be very useful. Mage is slightly ahead of Cleric, but still far behind the others.

HOWEVER..............

I absolutely love my clerics. They can do everything I need them to. Mage can too, but I do not like the playstyle as much. And that's what it all boils down to, the playstyle. Have you found one that actually suits YOU? Then that's the one to pick.
    Last edited by Ambrodel; 04-12-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Telaran

Since you already have a cleric you might try out an inquisitor. I personally like 61 inq, 15 druid, 0 justicar for leveling. Once you hit 66 you get your first legendary point take legendary fairly healing this will keep you alive to level up to 70 quickly.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Convalia View Post
    Hello. I'm not a newbie, however I've never hit max level. I've been playing Rift since almost the beginning, sharing my time with other top mmorpgs. But nevertheless, always coming back to Telara. I just love it. It's beautiful, story is nice and I really like instant adventures.

Never cared about end game content, however this time, want to try it. Hence I created my beloved fearless dwarven cleric druid maiden. It's called differently, but is a satyr summoner and melee fighter. I love her. I gave her my heart and she is at some point very durable. But it seems that noone appreciates clerics anymore and the most important thing on focus is dps ratio.

I enjoy the game and want to be uselful so I created elementalist (a mage using elemental pets, whatever class name is). Must admit, they do kill mobs faster, but are more squishy, guess it's because of the armor.

Here is an overview how the classes perform in the endgame. Mage is currently more versatile than a Cleric. Rogues and Primalists are currently much better at raiding than Cleric and Mage if you were to consider another class.

Your experiences during the leveling process will have little influence on your way of playing in the endgame because they will differ too much. The way of playing in the endgame changes due to the Eternal weapon and legendary abilities. So you will play a different spec/rotation in the endgame than during the leveling process.

If your mage not level 70 yet, the following information might be helpful for you.
    Mage specs with tank pets are unfortunately inefficient to level because they do too little damage. Specs like Mystic Archer until level 50 and Harbinger from level 65-70 have a lot of self-healing and the mobs die faster because of the much higher damage compared to pet specs.

Here is a list of good level specs:
    Kugelschreibers Mystic Archer Guide Level 1-50
    Burninalways Harbinger Guide Level 1-65
    Burninalways Pyro Guide Level 1-60
    Scourge Mage Builds for PvE with Level 50
    Scourge Mage Builds for PvE with Level 60
    Harbinger Level 65-70
    Harbinger Level 65-70 (2 Button Spec spec for the lazy players)
    Mage Builds for PvE with Level 70
    DPS and HPS Ranking with Level 70

Have you tried out all callings yet?

It is possible to create a char of each calling on a shard... Just try out all classes you can play (primalist is a bought class), buy an extra role for 30 gold and try different soul combinations..

Find out what you like most and what suits your playstyle best.. dps, tank, heals, support, ranged, melee, movement, stalking/invisibility, rooted

When you have figured out what type of style suits you best, then check what calling/souls attract you most in spells, abilities, looks go with that style.

Play something you like to play and feel comfortable with playing/learning... that will eventually give you the most enjoyment and best performance in game.

sidenote on elementalist..
    at lower level especially, you can go for the tank pet.. 20 points in elementalist gives you the greater pet and a healing spell for it.. Use the pet as intended.. to tank for you, while you do damage at a distance..

8 chloro goes well with that, for that gives you a good selfheal (bloom).
    throw in some pyro for extra damage and aoe (16 pyro for fire storm)
    You will find you'll be less squishy when you reach level 20 for the elemental healing spell.

And bloom can be used on your pet too.

Based on only basic souls.. and keep in mind, levelling builds are usually different from endgame/raid/dungeon builds...
    Last edited by Aranka; 06-15-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Smile

You might like hearing that Druid is the (situational) top st dps soul for cleric - but nobody uses it due to 'too complicated and cluncy' same time onebutton shamans argue about being underpowered.

Clerics, like all classes have theyr own feel of gameplay which may or may not suit you. Cleric dps does not sync well with mechanics of most current bosses (Dot focus while the boss frequently turns immune) (hardcasts with alot of running)

As mentioned at other points, eventho they defacto end up lower on dummies, a raid with a couple cleric dd's is totally fine (Inquisitor and defiler even have a uniqe passive target debuff with 5% dmg taken)

In general clerics require a little more attention and planning in how the specs play out. This translates to more effort for >compareable< lower numbers; which is the mainpoint of discussion really.
    Last edited by Shas; 06-17-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

+ Reply to Thread