+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ambrodel

Thread: Question about Planar Essences

Champion

Default Question about Planar Essences

I play a mage, so spell power is what drives the amount of damage I do. This is increased by the amount of intel and wisdom I have.

So, for a planar essence, is it better to purchase one that has a direct increase in intelligence, which then directly increases my spell power, or purchase a essence that says "Damage and Healing spells have a chance to increase spell power by 60 for 20 seconds."

I'd love to increase my spell power by that much, but if those 20 seconds come along only every 10 minutes, I think the direct increase with intel and wisdom would serve me better.

And, if it's better to go with the direct intel/wisdom essences, can I put a lesser essence in a greater essence slot? I noticed on the AH that none of the greater essences have a direct increase in intel/wisdom.

Thanks for any insight.

Isp
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    I play a mage, so spell power is what drives the amount of damage I do. This is increased by the amount of intel and wisdom I have.

So, for a planar essence, is it better to purchase one that has a direct increase in intelligence, which then directly increases my spell power, or purchase a essence that says "Damage and Healing spells have a chance to increase spell power by 60 for 20 seconds."

I'd love to increase my spell power by that much, but if those 20 seconds come along only every 10 minutes, I think the direct increase with intel and wisdom would serve me better.

And, if it's better to go with the direct intel/wisdom essences, can I put a lesser essence in a greater essence slot? I noticed on the AH that none of the greater essences have a direct increase in intel/wisdom.

Thanks for any insight.
    Crit power usually most important DPS stat in essences (unless you capped it via fragments) - short guide - https://www.cadrift.net/gameplay/lev...cusandEssences
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Yes you can put lesser essences in your greater slots.
    You should be looking for crit power as your tertiary stat above everything else. You are aiming for around 8540 crit power before raid buffs (sigil and feast)
    a lot of that crit power will come from your essences, with the rest from your planar fragments.

So, join a raid rift group every day and wait for drops. slowly fill up your sigil with crit power essences
    best in slots will have 556CP once fully upgraded
    but the ones with 491 are pretty decent too

Its up to you if you want to upgrade slightly lesser than BiS ones or if you want to hold out for those special drops
    Be aware that holding out for 6 BiS essences is gonna be a long haul commitment.. years! A lot of peeps playing this content for 2 years now have still maybe had only one or two drop.. some peeps havn't seen any!
    Also be aware that once you slot an essence into your focus you can't unslot it without spending credits (planer essence unsocketer thingy)
    When you have an essence drop for you, have a look at the upgrade path and then make a decision

Champion

Thanks for the replies.

That's some interesting data I wasn't aware of.

Looking at my current character, level 50 mage.

Her critical power is at 12.20% percent - that's additional damage or healing to Critical Hits. She has a 14.55% to get a critical hit. Such a low percentage seems to me an almost "once in a blue moon chance" to get a critical hit just to do an additional 12.20% damage.

So, not only do I have to increase critical power, but I also have to increase critical hit, because one depends on the other.

I'll try to get gear with those additional stats, but since I don't raid it will take a while.

Thanks again.

I'll try to get gear with those additional stats, but since I don't raid it will take a while.
    Keep in mind that all of the above advice about specifics, are based on the assumption that you are 70 already. Do NOT EVER worry about stats while you are still leveling. It is absolutely pointless and as soon as you change from content of one expansion to the next, you will get a ridiculous amount of stats on new gear compared to old. That 60 spellpower essence you are looking at, it will be a drop in the ocean in 2-3 levels.

Worry about stuff at 70, not now. And not before.
    Last edited by Ambrodel; 03-08-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks for the replies.

That's some interesting data I wasn't aware of.

Looking at my current character, level 50 mage.

Her critical power is at 12.20% percent - that's additional damage or healing to Critical Hits. She has a 14.55% to get a critical hit. Such a low percentage seems to me an almost "once in a blue moon chance" to get a critical hit just to do an additional 12.20% damage.

So, not only do I have to increase critical power, but I also have to increase critical hit, because one depends on the other.

Thanks again.

imho your stats look better than mine did at level 50. here's my current #'s. Happy RIFTing.
    https://ibb.co/RSpvC6r

+ Reply to Thread