+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By forbiddenlake
  • 2 Post By Ceonnyn

Thread: Is it worth playing casually for a returning player?

Soulwalker

Default Is it worth playing casually for a returning player?

Greetings everyone. The last time i played Rift actively was back in 2011-2012 with my warrior. What's the current state of the game? Is it worth playing casually for a returning player?

Yes, absolutely. It's still a great theme park MMO with lots to do and see. Just find some friends to level with and a group to group with.

However, I wouldn't spend any money on it until we get a sense of the direction the new owners are taking it.

Soulwalker

I too played at launch for a while and then returned this year. I have 42 days and change "/played" on six new characters since returning. My main recently hit 70. The vast majority of that time has been on quests, with a few Instant Adventures to break things up or when an event quest calls for it. I've hopped in some dungeons solo and overleveled to complete some questlines and just to see what they are like. I started a guild with just me in it for the bank space and haven't done any raiding yet. The only grouping I've done has been world open-group stuff.

With all that as reference... I'm loving it! I've really enjoyed my time back.

With the recent dissolution of Trion and the sale of assets, future plans for Rift are unknown, but even so, I'd say jump in. I've been doing Patron and have spent some money on credits, but none of that is necessary. Even if Rift gets no more updates or ends up being shut down soon, it was all worth it for me, even the cash I spent, considering how much I've enjoyed it. Since you aren't trying to rush to end-game to raid, you can get a lot out of Rift regardless of the sale or future plans.

Rift Disciple

I am sorry to say this but the OP's question is equivalent to asking if there is an open cabin on the Titanic....

As much as I love this game, I think it has been readily apparent that no resources were assigned to it for years and with the company change, you need to take off the rose colored glasses and stop pretending everything is fine.

Rift has been my favorite MMO but you have to face reality.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ceonnyn View Post
    Rift has been my favorite MMO but you have to face reality.
    The reality that I've had loads of fun playing the game these past months? That, even if it goes into maintenance mode and no further updates are done, that there's still a lot of content to enjoy?

We still have yet to hear from Gamigo. I believe that for now, it's absolutely a super fun thing to get into and do. I agree w/ ForbiddenLake.. don't spend money until you get a better idea of direction... but compared to spending $20 on a console game - well worth it. Compared to spending $30 at the movies with the significant other - well worth it. It costs nothing but your time right now to check it out. And there are plenty of us around having fun.

Default Thankful for this...

I am in the same boat. Just downloaded the "theme park" and installed. Logged. Saw Tempest Bay. Then, squeeked. Logged out. Came here.

*sigh*

Feel better.

See you inside!

yes it is. I have fun playing casually

+ Reply to Thread