+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the "support" role? Non-patron build for cleric support role?

Rift Disciple

Default What is the "support" role? Non-patron build for cleric support role?

Hi, I've been playing for over a month, and loving the game very much.

I'm curious about the "support" role in dungeons. Would this be someone who has the ability to off-tank and toss in a few extra heals if needed, while mainly DPSing? (jack of all trades, master of none?)

Is there a cleric soul tree combo for non-patrons, that would be appropriate for being in a support position?

Support classes aren't really used in dungeons. It's more of a raid role. That said if you're able to use a support soul you may experience slightly faster ques as you'll be able to que in that slot (even though you'll be expected to just DPS).

Support souls focus more on buffs and debuffs as their main feature and some sort raid DPS cooldown.

The support soul for clerics is Oracle. You don't need to have patron to use a support soul. But for clerics it is locked behind a paywall. So you'll either need to purchase the pack that contains Oracle or buy REX from other players with platinum.

I'm not sure if this is still the case but before Oracle came out a Justicar hybrid spec or Defiler hybrid would allow clerics to que as support as well. But I have no idea of that's the case anymore.

Isp
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sarleaf View Post
    Hi, I've been playing for over a month, and loving the game very much.

I'm curious about the "support" role in dungeons. Would this be someone who has the ability to off-tank and toss in a few extra heals if needed, while mainly DPSing? (jack of all trades, master of none?)

Is there a cleric soul tree combo for non-patrons, that would be appropriate for being in a support position?
    Support is not useful in dungeons at all - but you need to have support role if you want to queue as support via LFG (pure tanks and healers also not used in dungs anymore, but it is a separate story).
    Support currently used only in raids, mainly for boosting raid dps, but sometimes they also help with healing.
    Support has nothing to do with patron, but you have to buy some support souls. I don't remember which souls are free, but I think mage/archon, rogue/bard and warrior/beastmaster are available for f2p without any purchases.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Plane Touched

Support is almost always used in raids. Oracle for cleric, Archon for Mage, Bard for Rogue, Beastmaster for Warrior and Mystic for Primalist. Their job is to buff the raid and debuff the enemies. Archon, Beastmaster, and Mystic are "Type A" supports that tend to increase and do more DPS. Bard and Oracle are "Type B" which add more healing.

Dungeons rarely use these souls and just run 3 DPS. Sometimes, healers will ask for support heals which is usually Bard or anyone who can give additional healing. Sometimes they just run 2 healers for really tough fights. Hybrids also work here, if they can be pulled off, though they are uncommon.

No souls are Patron specific. On Live, you have to purchase souls with credits, but you keep them forever. On Prime you purchase them with planarite and keep them. Patron is a temporary status. I don't really play cleric so I don't know if Oracles are viable right now. I know there is a spec called Wardacle that is meant for AoE healing.

Edit: Primalist is a paid for class but all their souls come free once you buy the class. Oracle is a paid for soul.
    Last edited by Mizuki Ayu; 06-27-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuki Ayu View Post
    On Live, you have to purchase souls with credits, but you keep them forever. On Prime you purchase them with planarite and keep them.
    Thank you, I was just about to ask whether or not it would be temporary, or if we could keep it.

I'm curious about the Oracle role, now!

+ Reply to Thread