+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking of Returning DUO. Please advise/Questions

Shadowlander

Default Thinking of Returning DUO. Please advise/Questions

Hey guys. So my wife and I played but never really got anywhere productive. Level 40 ish or so. I feel when we quit we were just to close to playing WOW and other MMO's that were similar and that is what kept us from committing. I also had issues finding a class I liked.

So couple of questions. My wife will most likely play a healer and I will play a tank. Where is the best place to level up? Just follow quest from the start or is there a better place in new expansions?

What tanks are viable? I liked cleric tank the best. I liked rogue tank next and warrior tank the least. I heard there is a new mage tank? Could someone explain how it works? I am usually a fan of playing a class that has more passives and not a billion cooldown/buttons to smash.

I like classes that have range dps as a leveling options when I am not tanking. I liked ranger/marksmen and Inquisitor for cleric. Are those decent now for grouping raid also? Just in case I end up like dps more or need to switch if there are tanks already in a guild.

Healers. What are the best out there for raid healing and group healing? I feel she would like something that did well in both.

What items are useful/needed from the store/ect. What quality of life items are must haves. We have the first expansion I think, thats it. We will most likely start over from the start.

What server is still alive and kicking? Does it matter?

Lastly, I know there is doom and gloom but kinda dont care. Been trying every mmo out there and just cant find a place. I want to play something I am familiar with (wow) but at least see new stuff in the process. So any tips that would be useful for us..like places where duo can thrive at or places to avoid because the exp sucks would be great. We mainly like PVE.

Thank you. Plan to play later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Trexon View Post
    Where is the best place to level up? Just follow quest from the start or is there a better place in new expansions?
    Follow the story quest lines. Patron helps

What tanks are viable? I liked cleric tank the best. I liked rogue tank next and warrior tank the least. I heard there is a new mage tank? Could someone explain how it works? I am usually a fan of playing a class that has more passives and not a billion cooldown/buttons to smash.
    All tanks are viable. Mage tank is paid, and very well-rounded. It can be reduced to 1 button for building charge and 1 button for spending charge.

What items are useful/needed from the store/ect. What quality of life items are must haves. We have the first expansion I think, thats it. We will most likely start over from the start.
    All content is free, but you should get Ascended Essentials on Steam while it's $20. All but one paid souls and a bunch of character/bag slots (though you may have the slots already if you bought Storm Legion)

What server is still alive and kicking? Does it matter?
    Not Seastone. Deepwood maybe. Home server only matters for guild and auction hall now (cross-shard in-person trading is in the game now)
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 12-31-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Shadowlander

My account is not through steam. Is it still possible to get the sale? Thank you for the information. Very helpful. Could you explain more about the 1 button tanking thing for the mage?
    Last edited by Trexon; 12-31-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Soulwalker

I do not know how much help that I will be, but my husband and I are similar to you and your wife. We came back to the game in October and have been primarily playing a duo. He likes to tank and I like to heal. We are also former WoW players that mainly play PVE. So a similar background in that way.

We started back up playing not knowing exactly what we wanted to get out of Rift. We just wanted a game to play together and I missed healing. We started out leveling and just running quests. When we ran our first dungeon there was a bug with a quest so we went back in to the dungeon by ourselves to try and get it to complete. In doing so we discovered that we could run dungeon with just the 2 of us. Since then we have yet to find content we could not do as our Duo.

Now we are level 51 on our Duo. We have ran every quest in each zone that we have quested in. We have also been keeping up on Saga quests and have 2 manned every dungeon on the way up. We both keep a couple different specs so we can swap thing around based on what we need. I always have a few heals regardless of what spec I use. He generally tanks in instances and uses a dps spec the remainder of the time. We have experimented around with many specs and have found what works for us together and what we enjoy. I am sure our specs will change more as we try different things out.

I have no idea if any of my rambling is helpful at all. We have found the game enjoyable regardless of doom and gloom and I hope you both do too.

Shadowlander

Welcome back!

As far as leveling goes, Instant Adventures are the fastest most efficient way to level and a decent source of platinum and gear, HOWEVER, I personally find them mind-numbingly boring after a while, and they do nothing to teach you how to play your class/role. I prefer questing while queued for dungeons. Dungeons ques don't pop quickly by any means but they do pop in spite of what people might tell you. I play with my hubby as well, and when we want to get away from questing for a bit but aren't getting que pops, we will duo dungeons, or do zone events.

As for the classes, here's a brief rundown:

Tanks:

Warrior:
    Void Knight - Uses bubbles for mitigation, and can teleport enemies to themselves as well as having a knockback for positioning. They use pacts as a resources which are gained by being hit and later passively in combat.

Paladin - This one has had a significant rework since you last played, Self healing and short term buffs via attacks for mitigation, has a charge and also some party mitigation. Also has a resource gained from attacks, but the name escapes me.

Rogue:
    Riftstalker - Some passive self healing, and some short term buffs via attacks for mitigation, lots of teleports to enemy, as well as a point that you can drop to teleport to.

Cleric:
    Justicar - Self healing passively plus at least one long cooldown mitigation, ranged attacks for oulling, battle rez (the only tank that has this), uses convictions as a resource gained via attacks and passively with talent fairly early on.

Mage: (Requires Dream Soul Pack)
    Arbiter - Mitigation via different bubbles based on charge level has a charge and a pull in, as well as ranged attacks

Primalist: (Bought calling)
    Titan - Mitigation via attack based buffs/bubble, also has a party mitigation and self healing, has a ranged chaining attack, and a pull in. Resource wise, has to manage between cunning and fury states.

Healers:

Cleric: (Has the most options)

Warden - primarily a raid healer based on lots of stacking HoTs, still very effective in dungeons as long as those and the pre-emptive healing spells (like the orbs that heal the target when they're attacked) are kept up

Sentinel - A very traditional healer, more single target, still has some aoe (all healers have some of both) pretty straightforward, more of a tank healer

Purifier - Sorry, I find this one horribly boring so I don't have much to say here but, basically a bubble-based single target healer more based around absorb than straight healing

Mage:
    Chloromancer - A deal-to-heal healer can be effective both as a raid and a tank healer, basically your direct healing spells are more filler to help keep up or top off, a very fun healer in my opinion, but it will take getting used to

Frostkeeper (Requires most recent soul pack, can't remember the name) - Somewhere between Purifier and Sentinel, a lot of direct healing and some bubbles that are buffs rather than short term ones, and a buff that heals the target when attacked, not a lot of experience here either

Rogue :
    Physician (requires dream soul pack) - A lot of instant casts, bubbles and healing, more of a single target healer, some deal to heal ability but not something you can rely on consistently

Warrior:
    Warchanter - (requires most recent pack) - Seems to be a decent healer, I'm afraid I have no experience with this one though

Liberator: (Requires dream soul pack) - A decent tank healer, requires a being a very active healer, mostly single target

Primalist (bought soul):

Preserver - A healer with ability to deal some damage while healing, seems like a solid tank healer

Farseer - (requires most recent pack) - This one's sort of an odd duck, so I'll leave it to someone with more experience than I, but it has a lot of pre-emptive and througput abilities.

Isp
    Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpacesBetween View Post
    As far as leveling goes, Instant Adventures are the fastest most efficient way to level and a decent source of platinum and gear, HOWEVER, I personally find them mind-numbingly boring after a while, and they do nothing to teach you how to play your class/role.
    There are a lot of "mind-numbingly boring" grinds in game currently, so you consider IA preparation for them
    But teach you nothing is a valid point and a main argument vs IA, you should level at least one pers properly and use IA for alts (high levels alts almost dead because of grinds, but maybe some players are ok with non raiding alts).

bubbles
    Took me a while to understand what do you mean - they called shields in rift.

Farseer - (requires most recent pack) - This one's sort of an odd duck, so I'll leave it to someone with more experience than I, but it has a lot of pre-emptive and througput abilities.
    Farseer was released very recently, but it does not require any separate pack - if you have primalist, you have almost all souls, only maelstrom has to be bought separately. Farseer is a good healer, but it's not used often, as primalist currently OP ST dps and rarely used in other roles.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

My account is not through steam. Is it still possible to get the sale? Thank you for the information. Very helpful. Could you explain more about the 1 button tanking thing for the mage?
    As for the Steam sale, you would need to purchase the pack through Steam and also have RIFT downloaded on Steam and launched that way to receive the packs that you have purchased. It's pretty inconvenient, but that's the only way it's gonna work. Also remember to link your Steam with your Glyph when it prompts you, upon launching RIFT through Steam and after the Glyph interface pops out.

Soulwalker

Good luck leveling up that stupid minion to level 25 + other ******ed quests for "eternal weapon"

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Crazychick View Post
    Good luck leveling up that stupid minion to level 25 + other ******ed quests for "eternal weapon"
    Thanks...:P All games have some kinda grind. No difference.

Thanks for all the advice on healers. I choose mage tank and already have the jist of it. Wifey is still working on healers shes just going to level a few up and figure out what she enjoys. Shes played a ton of healers in here time will just need to feel them out. Really looking for what is needed in raids/brings utility that is used in the raids and useful.

Thanks...:P All games have some kinda grind. No difference.

Thanks for all the advice on healers. I choose mage tank and already have the jist of it. Wifey is still working on healers shes just going to level a few up and figure out what she enjoys. Shes played a ton of healers in here time will just need to feel them out. Really looking for what is needed in raids/brings utility that is used in the raids and useful.
    Alot of us our hoping for some decent catch up mechanics for the eternal, that is likely the biggest challenge. Wicket and IRoTP are not grindy but require alot of time. IRoTP is a minimum 16 weeks. Gluck on your new adventure. Don't skip Iron Pine Peaks.
    RIP boiled water, you will be mist

+ Reply to Thread