+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning Player; long time away; need a shard; need help!

Soulwalker

Default Returning Player; long time away; need a shard; need help!

Hello everyone. First thanks for reading this post & hopefully helping me.

I am someone who pre-ordered Rift and got in with the pre-launch early access & obviously I was there the minutes the servers went live. I liked the game so much that a few months later while I was at Walmart looking around their electronics & games I picked up their collector's edition which included Walmart exclusive items. My problem was shortly after that (I think a couple months) my computer took a crap on me and I had to replace it. I bought one I could afford at the time and sadly it wouldn't play Rift that well. I lagged all the time when I would do a rift which is kinda the whole point of the game when you think about it. I ended up later upgrading my computer to a new one...a more powerful one and I could play Rift again but at the time I had nobody to play with (my friend I had been playing with had passed away from an OD and my boyfriend didn't get into Rift after playing for a little bit simply because he's not into MMOs). I now have a custom built mega computer & am bored of other games that I've been playing (WoW, EverQuest2, and Aion). I'm looking to come back to Rift as I really did enjoy the game. Since its been like forever and a day since I really played, I need help.

I have a lvl 57 mage and then a warrior, rogue, and two clerics all in their 20's that I plan to level up and play. My mage will be a dps with an offspec of healing but only when I HAVE TO heal lol. My warrior I plan on main spec tank with offspec as dps. My rogue will be main spec dps offspec bard (I've never played a bard or support class before in other games but this one sounds interesting). One of my clerics will be main spec healer and offspec ranged dps while the other cleric will be just a tank. I don't have the expansions but am seriously considering purchasing the Primalist if they are a fun calling to play.

As I said earlier, I currently don't have anyone else to play with but my boyfriend did say that he would give Rift another chance if I was going to play it. That being said, I'm looking for a home as well. I'm currently on the Faeblight server and play Defiant. I'm looking both a shard to play on (as far as I remember, shard transfers didn't cost anything in Rift) and guild to join that's willing to help out. I don't remember if this game is like WOW and restricts guilds to the faction lines or if its like EQ2 and allows both factions to join each other's guilds. We live in California USA but we're night owls so we'd prefer a guild that doesn't turn into a ghost town come 9PM server time. I do play more often than he does and I'll be on at various times throughout the day and into the night. Come January I start back to school so my schedule might be a little wacky at times but weekends are definitely open for us to group up & do stuff with a guild.

Now that my background & current situations are explained, I have a few questions I could use being answered to help me along the way:

Are the preset purposes decent enough to use or do I need to find somewhere to get custom talent choices to do the best damage/healing/tanking? If so where would I go for these?

Are any of the tank callings preferred over the other ones?

Are any of the healer callings preferred over the other ones?

Is this game mostly about HOTS, AOE healing, or single target healing mostly?

Are both melee DPS and ranged DPS viable options or does one outshine the other by a large amount?

Are pet souls for the rogue and warrior viable in a group setting or are they just utter crap like some games?

Should I purchase the Dream Souls or Storm Souls packs or are the standard issue ones just as good?

Finally any tips/advice about the game I should know?

Thanks for reading & any answers you can provide. Much appreciated!
    Last edited by gaymer; 12-09-2017 at 01:51 AM. Reason: added location & time preferences

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer View Post
    I'm currently on the Faeblight server and play Defiant
    Welcome back, i play on European shards but from i know Faeblight is well populated so you might not even have to move.

(as far as I remember, shard transfers didn't cost anything in Rift) and guild to join that's willing to help out. I don't remember if this game is like WOW and restricts guilds to the faction lines or if its like EQ2 and allows both factions to join each other's guilds
    Yes that's right, you can transfer to another shard once a week, every week for free if you get an offer from a Guild you liked and no Factions aren't divided on PvE servers, you can group up, chat, do content together, be in the same Guild as a Guardian in your case, only on the PvP server is the Faction division still a thing.

Are the preset purposes decent enough to use or do I need to find somewhere to get custom talent choices to do the best damage/healing/tanking? If so where would I go for these?
    The preset builds are more to get you used to abilities and builds until you feel comfortable to make your own builds, right here on the Forum you can go to the different class sections and find a current build.

As for the rest of your questions about classes, some builds are obviously better than others, if you're into end game, progression raiding you wouldn't be making your own wacky builds, most would be a flavor of the month cookie build, pet classes aren't really used in raids, maybe if a warrior was running a Beastmaster support build.

Depending on how 'hardcore' you want to go you probably will end up getting the optional soul packs, a good one to buy is the Ascended Essentials Pack one:

https://rift.trionworlds.com/account...ut.action?dd=1

Best thing is just jump back in, find a friendly Guild, plenty on Faeblight if you decide to stay on that shard or elsewhere, any Guild worth it's salt will give you plenty of tips and show you the ropes, good luck out there.

+ Reply to Thread