+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: RIFT's "I wish I knew that" tips and tricks from vets

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    16

    Cool RIFT's "I wish I knew that" tips and tricks from vets

    Hello all,

    I'm new to the game and having a blast. Joined a great guild and occasionally people will tell me something that I'm glad I learned at such a low level. Looking for some more tidbits to share with other newcomers that might not be obvious while playing.

    I'll start with a HUGE help.

    1. If you're out adventuring and no where near a vendor, you can open the RIFT store, select equipment, then right click on items in your bags that you want to sell. You can do this ANYWHERE!

    2. You can purchase a 60% mount relatively early on, however, you get a free one at level 20.
    Last edited by Krelthor; 12-08-2017 at 08:36 AM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Samuraiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Filming on the Internet
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    First off, welcome to Rift.

    Second, as one of the longtime vets and "unofficial server mom" to Faeblight, here's some other useful things that the newcomers are often asking about:

    Q: I need more action bars!
    A: Click System (the monitor icon) > Settings > Interface > Action Bars.

    Q: How do I see my FPS?
    A: Mouse over the monitor icon - a small window will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen.

    Q: I need to turn in a quest, but the quest hub is buried in invasion mobs!
    A: Right-click your portrait and select "Teleport to Shard" - this will bampf (technical term) you to another shard that is hopefully not being invaded. IMPORTANT NOTE: This does *NOT* give you access to another shard's guids, auction house, or mail. By default, these will load your HOME shard's info.

    Q: When can I transfer?
    A: At level 15. NOTE: You can only transfer 3 plat per level (up to lvl 40), and you must have no outstanding auctions or mail in your mailbox. Transferring is free, but you can only transfer a given character once every seven days.

    Q: Do experience potions tick down while I'm offline?
    A: No.

    Q: I went AFK during an Instant Adventure and got booted and now I can't get back in!
    A: You have a 15-minute ban on rejoining. NOTE: This also does not tick down while you're offline - you just have to sit and wait. And don't go AFK next time.

    Q: How do I screenshot?
    A: PrntScrn will save a screenshot to your Documents > Rift > Screenshots folder. Turning off the UI is Ctrl+U. Once turns off UI, twice turns off names, three times brings it all back.

    Q: Where do I turn in artifacts?
    A: Your capital. Sanctum for Guardians (inside the temple, left side, second floor), Meridian for Defiants (just off the main plaza, SW of the porticulum).

    Q: Is there a bank or safe or vault?
    A: Yes, in your capital (see above). Talk to any guard upon arrival for a map marker.

    Q: I've been gaining levels, but it still says I'm level X?!
    A: You're mentored down. Right-click your portrait and select "Clear Ascended Mentor Level." (Mentoring, by the way, allows you to do lower level quests for full XP.)

    Q: Ugh, someone's being obnoxious in the chat!
    A: Left-click their name and select "Ignore." FYI - Ignores are dual-account wide. Meaning all of YOUR alts are now ignoring all of THEIR alts.

    Q: How do I find how much time I have left on my subscription?
    A: Go to trionworlds.com, click Account, sign in, select RIFT, scroll 2/3 way down the page.
    Last edited by Samuraiko; 12-19-2017 at 04:03 PM.

    TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

    Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default

    if you don't like your name make a character on a different shard with the same name then xfer the one you want changed to that chard. you'll be stuck there for 7 days but you'll have a new name. this works for guilds also and it way better than spending 2400credits for a guild name change.

    hop shards when doing quests with items in fixed location when you're lazy.
    Last edited by nessis; 12-08-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    my raf code 6WF67QEYJYY7TLCMY2M7
    get some free stuff but you'll have to be my friend!

  4. #4
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,077

    Default

    Q: Where are my Salvage skills?
    A: Gone, except for Runebreaking and Dreamweaver.

    Q. How do I get more Dark Icicles / Auroral Doubloons / Friendship Bracelets / Autumn Harvest Signets?
    A: Wait a week and do the new weekly quest. There is also a small chance of getting them from festival minion adventures in the 4-hour slot. But there is a fuzzy limit of getting one "top" item per festival per character. Most of the time, the non-top items are bound to account, and the more common festival currency (Unique Snowflakes, Glass Beads, etc) can be sent to alts via a voucher NPC in Tempest Bay, so bring out your alts early.

    Q. Where do I get a planar stabilizer?
    A. Don't, it's not worth the cost.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 12-09-2017 at 05:50 AM.

  5. #5
    Sword of Telara Aranka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Grey items...

    Open store, click referral rewards.. then click the sell grey button in the bottom of the window.

    why referral rewards? That's a one click to the 'sell grey' button and given the chance you most likely do not have referral currency, you don't risk buying something you didn't want in the first place



    I bought something, but can't find it in bag..
    Some items, such as the notoriety decrees and several gear/wardrobe items are 'automatically consumed' as in added to your wardrobe or for notoriety added to your rep for that faction. This means, you don't get an item in bag.

    So be careful when you hit the buy button.


    REX.. rift exchange. grants 1250 credits you can spend in store. It also gives 2500 loyalty points. Spending those credits gives another 2 loyalty per credit spent. The only exception is patron pass. The 30day patron pass grants 2200 loyalty.
    Credit sellers : You can buy items in store through a credit seller. This goes for all items in store, that have the marker for gifting at the far right of the bar.
    The credit seller pays the item in store with credits and you pay him/her in plat. The credit seller gets the loyalty from the purchase, since he/she is spending the credits.
    Buying patron pass through a credit seller is an exception. In this case, the player using the patron pass gets the loyalty.

    Higher loyalty gives more goodies. Each bar for the loyalty starts with 0. So your loyalty for the green bar is not part of the loyalty of the blue bar.. You do need the entire amount of loyalty for each bar.
    Last edited by Aranka; 12-08-2017 at 06:49 PM.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Add things that you often need often but are burried in hordes of useless junk in the rift store, ex: Planar attuners, to your wish list for easy finding.

    Make soloing easier by giving yourself some self healing by using Wild Overgrowth from your planar abilities. Pro Tip, it works in dungeons too.

    Some of the best content in this game is in the Chronicles. Do them at least once. Lots of great lore and story in them.

    At level 70 the thing that impacts your DPS more than anything is your eternal weapon. Not chest armor, shoulders, erc. It's your eternal. Worry most about that, second is your fragments and essences. All the rest is filler.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Some good ones here.

    What do you mean by "Make soloing easier by giving yourself some self healing by using Wild Overgrowth from your planar abilities. Pro Tip, it works in dungeons too."

    I don't see that ability?

  8. #8
    Ascendant Samuraiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Filming on the Internet
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krelthor View Post
    Some good ones here.

    What do you mean by "Make soloing easier by giving yourself some self healing by using Wild Overgrowth from your planar abilities. Pro Tip, it works in dungeons too."

    I don't see that ability?
    Wild Overgrowth is a planar attunement ability (unlocked at lvl 50). You earn planar attunement exp from the beginning, but it's accessible after lvl 50, and it's a Plane of Life unlock, if memory serves. Long story short, you have a chance for some awesome Heal Over Times any time you take damage.

    TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

    Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    52

    Default

    A recent tip I was given was not to waste your notoriety/token vial boosts until you level. Otherwise you'll just be sitting on a ton of wasted currency. (Wish I could transfer voidstone to alts, woulda been nice to buy gear when leveling with my other characters obsolete huge cache of stones)

  10. #10
    Sword of Telara Aranka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Planar Attunement.

    It is a parallel levelling system next to your regular Xp levelling.
    At level 50, PA is unlocked, you will have some points to spend from the xp that got you to level 50. You can also do your first Chronicle, which is basically a mini- dungeon for 1 player and at higher level, you get chronicles for 2 players as well.

    When you click the first button on your menubar, you get the pop-up that has the Planar Attunement tab. It will be grey till you hit level 50.
    You can spend points in the different tiers and through that unlock the next blocks.

    On the left in the window are the planar tiers... earth, air, fire, death, water and life. there is also a pvp tier.

    These planar tiers all have a portal recall unlock available in the center block for different zones on the map, which is very useful during summer world event.

    you get planar attument points as you fill up the PA bar, that will show as yellow line right above your xp bar, when you unlock PA.
    The xp you earn while levelling is also added as PA xp to your PA-bar.
    Other than that you can get PA xp from crafting workorders, which at higher (skill) level is a good resource. There are also story line quests (Ember Isle ) and achievements that grand spirit infusion or a similar type of infusion, that can grant between 50.000 and 1.000.000 PA xp.

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aranka View Post
    Planar Attunement.

    It is a parallel levelling system next to your regular Xp levelling.
    At level 50, PA is unlocked, you will have some points to spend from the xp that got you to level 50. You can also do your first Chronicle, which is basically a mini- dungeon for 1 player and at higher level, you get chronicles for 2 players as well.

    When you click the first button on your menubar, you get the pop-up that has the Planar Attunement tab. It will be grey till you hit level 50.
    You can spend points in the different tiers and through that unlock the next blocks.

    On the left in the window are the planar tiers... earth, air, fire, death, water and life. there is also a pvp tier.

    These planar tiers all have a portal recall unlock available in the center block for different zones on the map, which is very useful during summer world event.

    you get planar attument points as you fill up the PA bar, that will show as yellow line right above your xp bar, when you unlock PA.
    The xp you earn while levelling is also added as PA xp to your PA-bar.
    Other than that you can get PA xp from crafting workorders, which at higher (skill) level is a good resource. There are also story line quests (Ember Isle ) and achievements that grand spirit infusion or a similar type of infusion, that can grant between 50.000 and 1.000.000 PA xp.
    Just to add on to this each element boosts different stats (dex, str, wisdom, int, etc) and boosts dmg for certain weapons if you hover over the element icon near the bottom of the PA window it will give you a brief description of which bonuses you can get. You can eventually unlock everything and your first reset is free (next one is 100p, about an hour of doing IA) so do not be afraid to experiment. Also something I didn't realize for a long time is the War attunement doesn't just apply to PVP. Some of the buffs and skills can be only used in PvP but all of the bonuses are perfectly valid everywhere else.

  12. #12
    Champion caduto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    598

    Default

    the auction house...

    check price history's before buying or selling anything!! dont get ripped off, dont rip other people off.

    when hunting for artifacts in the auction house, select the 'usable only' check box.. this will show you only the artifacts you still need! dont forget you can add a filter for rarity too, so check for artifacts of rare(blue) level or above, dont bother buying whites unless its to complete a set.

    you can search for skins you still need on the auction house by selecting the 'uncollected appearances only' check box.. however, most of these skins can be easily acquired in the game by redoing the quest line with alts or buying and selling back the skins from the EQUIPMENT section of the store (not the costume section, you cant sell back most of those!)

    send all the stuff you want to auction to an alt, log that alt every few days when you have time to sort the auctions properly.. NEVER use the relist all button, you will likely be overcharging or undercharging, take your time and list properly! using an alt will keep your mains bags and mail box nice and clear

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caduto View Post
    the auction house...

    check price history's before buying or selling anything!! dont get ripped off, dont rip other people off.

    when hunting for artifacts in the auction house, select the 'usable only' check box.. this will show you only the artifacts you still need! dont forget you can add a filter for rarity too, so check for artifacts of rare(blue) level or above, dont bother buying whites unless its to complete a set.

    you can search for skins you still need on the auction house by selecting the 'uncollected appearances only' check box.. however, most of these skins can be easily acquired in the game by redoing the quest line with alts or buying and selling back the skins from the EQUIPMENT section of the store (not the costume section, you cant sell back most of those!)

    send all the stuff you want to auction to an alt, log that alt every few days when you have time to sort the auctions properly.. NEVER use the relist all button, you will likely be overcharging or undercharging, take your time and list properly! using an alt will keep your mains bags and mail box nice and clear
    Good tips here.

    Something I was confused about originally was buy orders. I assumed it was just an auto buy mechanic when something you wanted was posted. It's not. You request stuff at a price and if someone wants to sell it to you they can.

    Also if buying mats I prefer to attempt in trade chat since the auction house is not cross-shard. Lots of mats are extemely overpriced on my shard, whereas on the heavy servers they're not. (Example chiffon cloth at 300p a stack opposed to ~50p elsewhere)

  14. #14
    Sword of Telara Aranka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    buying stuff like skins, gear in rift store..

    you can't sell back (most) credit bought items in store for the credits.

    You can sell back currency bought items, UNLESS they are AUTO-consumed upon purchase.

    If you want to enlarge your wardrobe buying gear in store with currency you are no longer using, make sure you

    select all callings (rogue, primalist, warrior, mage, cleric)
    select all gear you want the looks from
    have enough currency to buy the most expensive piece

    buy/sell back everything you can that is not auto-consumed.
    the mouse over on the items tells you if it is autoconsumed, and if you have already collected the look.

  15. #15
    Telaran Grimmsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Busy out there in the world and need to craft or to have quick access to mailbox?

    Search in public dimensions (all time) with terms like 'craft' or 'mail' hop into the dimension and you should have easier access to the crafting stations, mailboxes, bank etc if someone was so nice and built one such dimension

    CTRL+P - take a screen shot that automatically hides the UI, no need to manually hide it.

    (Go to Key bindings menu - you will find a lot of useful things there and you can edit them your way)
    Thezene@Typhiria

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts