• 1 Post By Neurotix
  • 1 Post By SonoMoenia
  • 1 Post By Skiye
  • 1 Post By Liitke

Thread: Subscription worth it?

Shadowlander

Default Subscription worth it?

Hello all,

I just hit 20 and seem to be able to do it all. I'm pretty sure I could get to max level for free and not miss out on too much. Am I right here? Is it worth it to subscribe for any reason? Or am I missing something big?

It is my opinion that if you spend money on this game - the best bang for your buck, is patron status (or subscription). The passive bonuses really do add up. I find I have more plat and other currency, I level quicker and things are just generally smoother.

However, you can ABSOLUTELY level all the way to max level, participate in all the content, and thoroughly enjoy this game - all for free.

Either way, welcome and we'll see you in Telara!

Plane Touched

Personally I think if I am paying a monthly fee to play a game I should be able to play that game in it's entirety. You don't get to do that with rift. You are paying for the opportunity to gamble. the entire endgame is lootbox gambling and rng. You are paying money for the privilege of paying more money.

I pretty strongly recommend NOT paying for this game. Not in the state it's in.

As a patron, you receive 10 IRCs (individual reward charges) per character (level 65 and up) as long as you log onto them each day. Additionally, you receive a weekly patron gift which usually has at least 1 loot box in it. One of the rewards for in those boxes sometimes are little bags of IRCs. Right now, I have 2 characters geared for reasonable tier 2 play, and a 3rd geared reasonable for tier 1 play and about 1/2 way to tier two. I have 20 to 50 IRCs on each of those characters and I have 7 (bound to account) bags of 5 charges each waiting for if I need them.

The RNG of loot in level 70 endgame play, along with the RNG for crafting materials, along with the currency grind... all those things are SO MUCH EASIER when you are patron. I don't buy charges and I'm keeping up just fine because the patron bonuses make it unnecessary to buy charges.

Krelthor, I'd also recommend finding a friendly, helpful guild. At low level, any of these issues we've touched on (IRCs, RNG of end game loot) are irrelevant. But if you do want to experience all of the play in RIFT, a good guild can help you maximize your grind time - such as getting the eternal weapon, the crafted helm and crafted range weapon all at once so your Tenebrean Schism Elites kills count towards each. And they will offer some tricks to use your limited IRCs effectively - such as helping to carry level 65-69 alts through Crafting Rifts to use their charges instead of the charges on your main character.

Again, if you're going to spend money on the game - my advice is Patron. Buying loot boxes or IRCs in the hopes that RNG will be "more favorable next time" is not a good use of your dollars.

Champion

You can easily do about everything in this game without patron, but it definitely plays smoother with it.

In a nutshell it's a ton of added convenience. No death penalty, the patron fast pass to port places faster, bonus xp and token currency, etc.

I find it worth it, but it's definitely not a requirement.

Telaran

Imo, which means little;
    I don't regret any money I've ever spent on rift.

Im not a die hard player, just returned from a lengthy break. But in the current state of the game I don't see any reason to spend. I got a free 30 day patron reward from something when I returned can't remember what. Its nice to have but my disposable income for gaming is currently reserved for guild wars 2 which is in a much better place right now. At least ffor me. I'm sure people will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelthor View Post
    Hello all,

I just hit 20 and seem to be able to do it all. I'm pretty sure I could get to max level for free and not miss out on too much. Am I right here? Is it worth it to subscribe for any reason? Or am I missing something big?
    https://www.riftgame.com/en/patron/

Is it worth it to subscribe?

Other than supporting the game patron is not really worth it

Well... you do get reduced mount time that makes you mount almost instant with the crafting mount speed buffs on shoulders. So for PvP... patron is p2w and gud -- Rifle.

P.S. Patron also "reduces" the chance you can be diss mounted (btw the diss mount chance is much higher than the 5% stated... more like 90% )

Plane Touched

patron is good when leveling as the extra 40% xp helps also they took away rested from non patrons so that's another what 50-100% (it just says "gaining more xp from kills").
    end game i don't feel its worth it as much. without xp gain you don't fell like its doing much its not like you get credits or anything.
    my raf code 6WF67QEYJYY7TLCMY2M7
    get some free stuff but you'll have to be my friend!

The passive Patron bonus to currency should not be overlooked.

I was present at a High Priest kill.
    • Guildie#1 - Has played for 6 years. Long time patron, with loyalty Treasure Map, and guild loot bonus = 4801 ethereal shards.
    • Guildie#2 - Has played for 4 years. Previously a patron, but not now and not long enough to get loyalty Treasure map, but has guild loot bonus = 3301 ethereal shards.

Guildie#1 received half again as much as Guildie#2. I still say Patron is the best use of your money. But I also agree it is absolutely not required to play and have fun.

The game is less punishing to non-subscribers than many others.

As such, I see it more an option here than the vast majority of games I play.

Yet I subscribe regardless as does my girl, so it is worth it... to us.

+ Reply to Thread