+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Everything is changed and I'm confused!

Soulwalker

Default Everything is changed and I'm confused!

I've played RIFT since closed beta for 2 years (pretty much until it went F2P).
    My main was a pyromancer mage and chloro support for raids, and I invested alot, and I mean ALOT in that toon.
    Achievements, mounts, companions, reputation, crafting and collections. I grinded my *** off to get some of the stuff I have on it.

Came back and everything is changed. I've read some posts and guides and it seems mages are crappy now. Bad dps (not to mention if you like to be ranged, and not go melee). It's not that I have an issue with starting from zero with a rogue or something, but all my stuff...
    In WOW you share your mounts and vanity pets etc, which makes it a little less sad to switch a main, but here I have to basically forgo all the hard work I've done.

Any returning ancient mages with some insight? what did you do?

there are plenty of main spec mages in my guild who do ok for themselves..
    so you may not be top DPS, you can still pull numbers decent enough to make bosses die.
    im not a mage myself so i cant give you proper tips as to what build to use etc
    get yourself into a nice guild and have a go!

remember a lot of the QQ threads on the forums are going to be massively over-exaggerated and also a very small portion of the player base
    yes mages cant hit the DPS that some other classes can, but they are by no means completely useless!

who know, by the time you hit 70 and get yourself some nice gear it may be the mages turn to be FOTM again anyways

if you are going to switch mains, just work on the level 65-70 content first to ensure you are 'current' and then you can go back to other zones to rework all those cheevos
    take mining/foraging/butchering and you can send all the mats to your old main char for crafting, so you dont have to level up all the skills again.
    depending where you got them from some of your mounts may be account bound, all your wardrobe items are account bound, your minions are account bound too and your PAXP!

whatever you choose to do, welcome back

Soulwalker

Thanks for the welcoming post!

I just went to my old pyromancer build since I feel comfortable with it. I guess it's better to have fun than be top dps.

Do you have any suggestions on how to go about finding a good guild?

Shadowlander

Hi, welcome back.

I don't know about mage dps being crappy, I'm only about 300k behind every other class (as pyro), which I think is fine. Since my guildmates have more gear than me by quite a bit. They spend more time grinding than I do, be it gear, fragments, the new trinket, and essences. They all have me beat on that.

Saying this from the parses I see with my guild over the last 5ish months of raiding.

Early on after level 70, the gap is easily noticeable. But at end game, once you and every other player is really geared, mages aren't that far behind.

Mage specs that do really well in a raid setting are, Lock with Mana wrench, 61 lock/15 necro, 61 pyro, 61 harb, 61 chon/15 pyro, 61chon/15 chloro, and soon to be 58 ele/18 pyro. Tanks lack but still do fine, all the specs mentioned above perform very well. Currently Pyro is top mage dps until Warlock is fixed. 61chon/15chloro is by far the most fun spec to play in my opinion, you are support, do decent dps, and you can heal more than some raid healers. I was doing around 350k dps and 200k heals in raid the other night. I was beating the warden at one point too.

As a comparison, I can pull 900-950k dps as pyro on a 5m parse. Whereas other classes pull 1m-1.05m. So we really aren't that far behind.

Not to mention that the Eternal weapon (Best weapon in the game) is getting a little buff, meaning mages will do more dps.

Guild wise, I'd recommend the Guild recruitment thread. Depending on your play style, be it pvp, rp, dimensions, achieves, artis, or pve, there's a guild for all of them.

You can use the following link to get up to speed. It houses all current up to date mage spec.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1338370154
    Last edited by Mrwidoes; 10-13-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Default Welcome Back

Quote Originally Posted by Jareth1 View Post
    Thanks for the welcoming post!

I just went to my old pyromancer build since I feel comfortable with it. I guess it's better to have fun than be top dps.

Do you have any suggestions on how to go about finding a good guild?
    Welcome back! I'm just returning too and I've gotten the feel for it again myself as a mage. My necro build still does decent dps. As for rhe guild fine me on the guild finder and I'd be happy to play with you. Soul Reapers of Chudahs

+ Reply to Thread