+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Returning player from years ago...

Soulwalker

Default Returning player from years ago...

... so ya I haven't touched this game in like... years I don't even remember. I log on no one is around AND I have no idea what I'm doing... I don't have any quests apparently, not sure what to try out first but I don't even know where people are. I hope there are still some around or this is gonna get pretty lonely right quick >.>.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xeoneex View Post
    I log on no one is around
    It's possible, depending on how long you were away, that your char(s) were moved to a trial server because when you log on everyone is logged onto the same server, kind of like a Megaserver thing.

Type /shard and see what pops up, you might have to transfer off this trial shard, if indeed you are on one, it's very unusual to log on and see nobody at all in the major hubs, even now at 5:00am here in Europe i see a few people around.

Soulwalker

it says deepwood 1704 whatever that even means.

Hello Xeoneex and welcome back.

When you are on the character select screen, check the little button at the bottom near PLAY that says "shard". That will let you know what shard (server) your characters are on. This is really only important now for Guilds, Auction House and in-game mail to other characters. But it will help you to know what shard your character is stored on. Like Slipmat says, we all get put on random shards when we log in. You can play on any shard, interact with folks on any shard and even trade with folks on any shard. You may notice people who's names are Soandso@Greybriar or something like that.

What level is your character? And where to do you log in to when you come back into the game? You said you've been gone years. Most of the new contents is accessible simply by going to a porticulum master and finding the starting point of the new zone. If you left before the Storm Legion expansion, then you can speak to a Lycini Ambassador near the porticulum in your home city (Sanctum or Meridian).

But my advice to you is to find a guild or at least a friendly person or two to help get you back on the road to success. The public chat is a possibility to find some answers. Chat channels are set up in level bands and the lower level chat channels may not always be completely useful.There is a CrossEvents channel that is more active and more helpful in general. I believe you have to join it by typing /Join Crossevents in the chat window. That may not be it exactly, so hopefully someone who knows precisely can chime in. You can also check out the Guild Finder option. Default keys to open it up are Shift-G. There you can see a number of guilds and might be able to hook up with some other players.

Deepwood is one of the shards that all us NA players play on, so you should be able to find people and active quests. If you still can't get some answers, send me a PM here or post more. We'll get you set up!
    Last edited by SonoMoenia; 09-28-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Soulwalker

Well, apparently I'm on 2 servers? Under shard it says Seastone, and another one Necropolis > Seastone so no clue what that means either.

Anyway, I never did get far in this game. While my highest 2 characters are both lvl 37, I got them from 33 to 37 last night doing instant adventure, I hadn't even done but a handful of quests in the first zone. I don't even know what the story is about or where to go to get appropriate level quests or is it worth it?

One of my concerns about the server I'm on, despite the cross realm thing, is quite empty. For example going to an auction house has next to nothing on it so I'm not sure how I'm going to get gear and such. Then again I've been doing that instant adventure thing which is fun and I seem to be getting level appropriate gear but other than that no idea. Other things like artifacts and all the expansion stuff that I wasn't here for are way over my head. I'm interested in collecting stuff for this cosmetic system that seems very intricate and VERY customizable which is nice.

At this point I might as well just consider myself a completely new player that happens to have a few cosmetic things from way back when. I'm just going to enjoy it as best I can.

Thanks for checking your shard, Xeoneex. The reason it shows on 2 shards is because Seastone and Necropolis were folded into a single shard in late 2012 (IIRC). The reason it seems empty in your AH is because you're on Seastone. That shard is the PvP shard, meaning always on Open World PvP when on Seastone - Guardians vs Defiants. When you play on other shards and in IAs, you are not automatically flagged so it does not affect your ability to play, but that shard is definitely one of the lowest populated shards. Good news on that front though is that you can switch shards for FREE. You can transfer any character of level 15 or higher once per week. Transfer you character to Greybriar. We're lots of fun over here, with a much more active AH and many guilds.

The Instant Adventures are a great way to get back into the game. Play with the new soul trees, see some of the lovely locations, and get some gear. I give you fair warning about the cosmetic system though... once you get started, you can never go back! The options they've put into it are amazing and it's not uncommon to waste hours going back to lower level zones just killing things in hopes you get a new wardrobe skin to drop. Also, having 21 wardrobe slots gets kinda expensive, but I just had to do it. I know a lot of guilds keep extra gear in their guild bank just for the purpose of unlocking wardrobe skins. If you're looking for the story line quests your level band is good for Iron Pine Peaks and Droughtlands, I believe. Just open the map and start making your way .. you'll find quests.

Again, welcome back! And feel free to reach out if you need anything more.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SonoMoenia View Post
    Thanks for checking your shard, Xeoneex. The reason it shows on 2 shards is because Seastone and Necropolis were folded into a single shard in late 2012 (IIRC). The reason it seems empty in your AH is because you're on Seastone. That shard is the PvP shard, meaning always on Open World PvP when on Seastone - Guardians vs Defiants. When you play on other shards and in IAs, you are not automatically flagged so it does not affect your ability to play, but that shard is definitely one of the lowest populated shards. Good news on that front though is that you can switch shards for FREE. You can transfer any character of level 15 or higher once per week. Transfer you character to Greybriar. We're lots of fun over here, with a much more active AH and many guilds.

The Instant Adventures are a great way to get back into the game. Play with the new soul trees, see some of the lovely locations, and get some gear. I give you fair warning about the cosmetic system though... once you get started, you can never go back! The options they've put into it are amazing and it's not uncommon to waste hours going back to lower level zones just killing things in hopes you get a new wardrobe skin to drop. Also, having 21 wardrobe slots gets kinda expensive, but I just had to do it. I know a lot of guilds keep extra gear in their guild bank just for the purpose of unlocking wardrobe skins. If you're looking for the story line quests your level band is good for Iron Pine Peaks and Droughtlands, I believe. Just open the map and start making your way .. you'll find quests.

Again, welcome back! And feel free to reach out if you need anything more.
    Ah ok, ya I was an rp/pvp server guy for many many years, though lately as I've gotten alot older since then I find myself disinterested in pvp since I always have sucked at it :P. Nor do I have the real patience for it these days, but I may try it out.

I've played nearly every major mmo and the direction cosmetics in games these days is amazing. This is by far the best one I've seen and I like they took the ability to unlock one item for the entire account. Means I don't have to rummage around looking for specific peices should I decide to start new alts etc...

I don't really have any of the expansions so I can't access these new classes and as of right now I'm not sure I want to put money into anything for now. I am pretty content with what my classes are at the moment and I like the fact you can switch roles anyway so ya.

I'm probably going to transfer sometime soon just getting the feel for the game once again.

Ascendant

I don't even know what the story is about or where to go to get appropriate level quests or is it worth it?...

At this point I might as well just consider myself a completely new player...
    If you're really interested in the story, my advice is to a) start a new toon on another server and follow the quest lines from the beginning, and b) never ever touch IAs.

The PvP shards are dead due to certain game play decisions Trion made, plus some annyoing bugs you might encounter when grouped with people from other servers.

IAs bypass all the lore and will advance your level so fast you cannot keep up with the quests in your current zones. They are a good way to level an alt, but if you want to get to know the game's background story, IAs are not the way to go.

I don't really have any of the expansions so I can't access these new classes and as of right now I'm not sure I want to put money into anything for now. I am pretty content with what my classes are at the moment and I like the fact you can switch roles anyway so ya. I'm probably going to transfer sometime soon just getting the feel for the game once again.
    You don't need to buy the expansions. All current content is free - RIFT, Storm Legion, Nightmare Tide, and Prophecy of Ankhet. If you're still leveling up to 50, you don't have to worry about those zones/expansions until later. Storm Legion is 50-60. Nightmare Tide was 60-65 and Prophecy of Ankhet is 65-70. You still have plenty of time to play with the game before you need to worry.

Elayara's suggestion to make a new PC is a good one if you want to enjoy the lore. It's pretty great. I'm partial to the Guardian story, but I'm told I'm biased.

When I suggested to "play with the new soul trees" - I meant explore how the base souls are different from what you may remember and fool around with different roles. And it seems you are already doing that. Later on down the line, you can consider any of the Soul Packs to extend your options within your calling, or the Primalist Pack which is a whole new calling altogether. But RIFT is free to play for the most part. So keep trying it out for a while, and then decide where you'll spend money (if any). Personally, I believe the Patron is the best bang for your buck (despite my wardrobe obsessions). The passive patron buffs (like bonus XP and currency) are just fantastic!

Anyway, we'll see you around Telara, friend.
    Last edited by SonoMoenia; 09-28-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    If you're really interested in the story, my advice is to a) start a new toon on another server and follow the quest lines from the beginning, and b) never ever touch IAs.

The PvP shards are dead due to certain game play decisions Trion made, plus some annyoing bugs you might encounter when grouped with people from other servers.

IAs bypass all the lore and will advance your level so fast you cannot keep up with the quests in your current zones. They are a good way to level an alt, but if you want to get to know the game's background story, IAs are not the way to go.
    Hmm, I might take the one and level it to max and do alt for story at my own pace. I hate to just leave the characters I had since beta :/.

Might take me awhile to get through all that content but hopefully it's worth it :P.

Soulwalker

You don't need to buy the expansions. All current content is free - RIFT, Storm Legion, Nightmare Tide, and Prophecy of Ankhet. If you're still leveling up to 50, you don't have to worry about those zones/expansions until later. Storm Legion is 50-60. Nightmare Tide was 60-65 and Prophecy of Ankhet is 65-70. You still have plenty of time to play with the game before you need to worry.

Elayara's suggestion to make a new PC is a good one if you want to enjoy the lore. It's pretty great. I'm partial to the Guardian story, but I'm told I'm biased.

When I suggested to "play with the new soul trees" - I meant explore how the base souls are different from what you may remember and fool around with different roles. And it seems you are already doing that. Later on down the line, you can consider any of the Soul Packs to extend your options within your calling, or the Primalist Pack which is a whole new calling altogether. But RIFT is free to play for the most part. So keep trying it out for a while, and then decide where you'll spend money (if any). Personally, I believe the Patron is the best bang for your buck (despite my wardrobe obsessions). The passive patron buffs (like bonus XP and currency) are just fantastic!

Anyway, we'll see you around Telara, friend.
    Oh I thought content was locked due to those expansions, it's just the souls and primalist then? I see I see

I saw that I had patron status though even though I hadn't subbed since the very early days of this game. Is that the same thing or different?

I saw that I had patron status though even though I hadn't subbed since the very early days of this game. Is that the same thing or different?
    I don't know the specifics, but I've noticed that Trion randomly awards limited patron (1 week, maybe 1 month) occasionally. It happened to my nephew out of the blue. I don't know why or how. I think it's an incentive thing. I know that old players returning often get things like that for limited times. Enjoy it while it's there.

You could always go check your status on the Trion Worlds page (trionworlds.com/en). You log in with the same login info as the game. You will probably be able to see your old history from "back in the day".

Soulwalker

You could always go check your status on the Trion Worlds page (trionworlds.com/en). You log in with the same login info as the game. You will probably be able to see your old history from "back in the day".
    I logged in and I'm not seeing where there's any status or anything.

After you log in, at the bottom of the page click the link for Transaction History. When the Transaction History page loads, click the radial button for Date Range and use the drop down arrow to pick in a reasonable time frame - I suggest the "past 3 months" option. Then press the SEARCH button and wait a few seconds. It will populate with any recent purchases, codes or promotions recently applied to your account.

Alternately, once logged in you can choose the large button near the top labeled STORE. Click on RIFT (on the far right) and then click View, if it doesn't immediately take you there. While this is the store where they are tempting you to spend money, your Patron info is at the bottom. It's labled Patron Subscription Information. One tab is Current Plan and the other is your Patron Subscription History. You should be able to see how much patron time you have left on that page.

Good luck.

Soulwalker

After you log in, at the bottom of the page click the link for Transaction History. When the Transaction History page loads, click the radial button for Date Range and use the drop down arrow to pick in a reasonable time frame - I suggest the "past 3 months" option. Then press the SEARCH button and wait a few seconds. It will populate with any recent purchases, codes or promotions recently applied to your account.

Alternately, once logged in you can choose the large button near the top labeled STORE. Click on RIFT (on the far right) and then click View, if it doesn't immediately take you there. While this is the store where they are tempting you to spend money, your Patron info is at the bottom. It's labled Patron Subscription Information. One tab is Current Plan and the other is your Patron Subscription History. You should be able to see how much patron time you have left on that page.

Good luck.
    Oh I see it ok, apparently my last day playing (at least when it was subscription based) was jun 2012. I also see as of sept 27 I have 30 days of patron status so that would explain that, luckily I didn't pay anything so ya. I'll enjoy it for what I have for now. I don't have alot of money these days so I can't really do subs anymore. Either way I will enjoy it patron or not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast