+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Is the game dying? (Less players?)

Soulwalker

Default Is the game dying? (Less players?)

Started the game a few days ago and invested into the starter package on steam, felt like 7 days of patron along with some ear rings were pretty nice deal. But I digress,

I have been kind of worried that the game is slowly dying? I havent seen many people in silverwood on wolfbane lately, nor does my auctions really go through. Maybe people aren't playing around the same time as me? (EST 11am - 5pm) Maybe my auctions aren't worth it or im getting undercutted? (good possibility, havent checked)

I really like the game and really dont have a plan to buy credits straight out, maybe the intermediate package since for basically 5 dollars more I get a good amount of things. But I am afraid to if it seems the game isnt going to really be people to play with and such.

What really got me thinking about this is because I saw someone talking about how starfall caused many players to quit.

Would I just be better off going to WoW? My girlfriend and I play together and I don't want us to get too into this game only for disappointment.

Thanks for the replies!
    Last edited by ashathe; 04-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.

I suggest you play a bit. The times you show are not premium times. Most activity I see has been between 3pm and 9pm server time (that's 5pm and 11pm your time). Unfortunately, since there are lots of ways to quickly get to end game, the earlier zones are pretty unpopulated. But the story is interesting and leveling is not too heinous.

The changes in the game with the newest expansion have caused quite a kerfluffle and there have been many cries of "That's it; I'm done". But things have been pretty busy in Tempest Bay lately, especially with the Carnival. You should take the Carnival porticulum (found in Sanctum or Meridian) to get to Tempest Bay and meet people.

Good luck to you and enjoy your travels in Telara.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SonoMoenia View Post
    I suggest you play a bit. The times you show are not premium times. Most activity I see has been between 3pm and 9pm server time (that's 5pm and 11pm your time). Unfortunately, since there are lots of ways to quickly get to end game, the earlier zones are pretty unpopulated. But the story is interesting and leveling is not too heinous.

The changes in the game with the newest expansion have caused quite a kerfluffle and there have been many cries of "That's it; I'm done". But things have been pretty busy in Tempest Bay lately, especially with the Carnival. You should take the Carnival porticulum (found in Sanctum or Meridian) to get to Tempest Bay and meet people.

Good luck to you and enjoy your travels in Telara.
    Thank you for the reply, I will keep at it. Ill keep moving through the zones and get to 65 and see how it is from there.

What is wrong with the new expansion though?

There was a decided shift in direction from previous versions of the game. In general, the game play (especially end game content) has gotten much easier. There is more challenging content in the pipeline, but many feel that it is taking too long.

A lot of the negativity that you may be hearing is simply that unhappy voices are often the loudest. Some dislike that the expansion must be purchased in order to get max level. Free to play is only to 65. Some dislike a few of the new game features, many of which are overly random. Many dislike the game play balance which has some serious growing pains due to the Legendary abilities (which add what I assume to be a very complex variable for balance purposes).

It takes all kinds of players in an MMO and Rift has changed from being the Prettiest, Nicely Lore Involved, and Seriously Challenging End Game that it was in previous expansion. In my opinion, it is still the Prettiest. I like the lore. And I find the shift to focus more to the casual players is fine.

See you around, I hope.
    Last edited by SonoMoenia; 04-06-2017 at 01:04 PM.

I would like to add also that like many MMOs that have been out for a few years Rift has many more players at higher levels than low to mid-range. As SonoMoenia said you will find a lot more people in Tempest Bay than Sanctum. Tempest Bay is the upper level city.

Another reason you may not see many people in the lower level zones is because some people who have already leveled one character choose to level alts by using Instant Adventures a lot. So if you would like to do group content you can use Instant Adventures to do that. Regular adventures are group questing in open world zones. Intrepid adventures take place in a raid instance that has been adapted for adventures. There is also a special Carnival adventure right now.

As far as the most recent expansion goes not all of the content was ready when it launched and they have been rolling out some features gradually. In particular some people were unhappy that the new raid was not ready. However given that games like SWTOR have gone 2 years without any new raid at all I don't think Rift is doing so badly. What I have noticed is that there are a small number of players who are disgruntled and are very vocal about it. If you enjoy traditional MMOs I definitely think Rift has a lot to offer. Especially since all content levels 1-65 is free. There is really a wide variety of activities to do and also extras like player housing, fantastic wardrobe system, artifact collecting and achievements.
    ~Dimensions on Greybriar~

Elle's Conservatory (Elleynne)
    Elle's Swiss Chalet (Elletrix)

Quote Originally Posted by ashathe View Post
    What is wrong with the new expansion though?
    Sorry in advance for incoming wall of text, but this short question has a long answer in my book.

I would have to say, the biggest issue many players had with this expansion was the way it was highly touted as a paid, but premium expansion by the CEO of Trion. However many players felt it did not deliver on those claims and promises. The expansion was released with numerous bugs, no end game raiding and two dungeons, despite previous expansion (Nightmare Tide) being released as a free expansion and had much more end game content. The 4.1 patch brought in new LFR content, but progressive end-game raiding is still under development.

The other major issue (for me) is the way this expansion was supposed to present content with significantly less microtransactions. Content was supposed to be delivered in a "vastly less irritating way". A good example was the ability to accumulate rested XP when leveling your characters. It used to be a feature available to all players but was removed mid-way thru Nightmare Tide and provided to patrons (monthly subscribers) only, much to the outcry of the rift forum community. Fast foward to the current expansion, and that feature has still been removed and crafting dailies have also had their xp gains removed. One of the removed features (accumulating dungeon charges) has since been restored this expansion, very recently. However, "individual reward charges" a new way of gating drops in the game which can be purchased or patron subscribed to receive more of has since been introduced.

And thirdly is the dismissive and unprofessional way players have been responded to when voicing their feedback. To be clear on this, I am not referring to the Rift development team whom I have a great deal of respect for, but towards those at the management level which has been very lacking. Many concerns were brought up that were largely dismissed as being "subjective". Another good example is where major bugs were released in the previous content patch and the reason provided was that there was not enough players available to test the content. Further compounding this issue was when testing comments were provided weeks in advance but not seemingly followed up on; with the thread being promptly dismissed and locked.

There was a producer's letter that somewhat touched on these concerns; but IMO, the tone of the letter was more side-stepping towards being defensive and excusatory rather than stating exactly what went wrong this expansion and what is being done to address the issues at hand.

Bottom line, there are many of those who did not agree with the new direction this game has been seemingly heading towards and have seemingly decided to move on . However, since you are a new player, I have to say in all fairness, that you base your decision to play based on the current direction and content at hand. There still appears to be other players continuing to support the game despite its shortcomings. Good luck.

You are at an advantage that you've never played before. Much of the strife, is from prior players who got used to the previous Rift title, and are having issues adjusting to Trions new vision.

In my mind, and many others, this is still very much a work in progress, because when you take a challenging MMO like what Rift was and drastically reduce difficulty, things like gear progression don't mean anything any more. Maximizing the character build you play doesn't matter anymore. Spending large amounts of time grinding for best in slot runes, or finishing weeklies to buy gear doesn't matter anymore. A lot of the things that were fun about this title, were heavily impacted by the the changes.

This is not to say that they won't release more challenging content, but personally, I played Rift because I loved the challenge. I loved to see the gear progression, and how tweaking small things on a build, could net you more damage, or better healing throughput, and these small changes could impact whether you wiped, or downed a boss. There were many raids where the raid leader would say "guys, we are within 4 seconds of enrage, everybody make sure you have potions up before we start, every little bit counts!" because it was that tight. It makes you really want to get good at your builds and push for the kill.

The game is vastly different now than it was prior to 4.0, and that could be good and bad.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your stay. The game does have a lot to offer, depending on your goals.

Good luck. =)
    Are you a player looking for class guides and other Rift content?
    ChamberDown Youtube Channel

Are you a new/returning player? Check out all the souls in Rift!
    All Callings/Souls in Rift!

Telaran

if you dont play primetime na time's, its dead.

Quote Originally Posted by beyondcaring View Post
    if you dont play primetime na time's, its dead.
    NA at its lowest > EU at its highest
    Nixia@Greybriar (and Laethys) ~ Anizia@Zaviel
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyens
    I can live with that

Rift is a big, gorgeous game. Go enjoy it. Find a group of peeps to run with.

And I would choose this game over WoW any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Personal preference I suppose. Could never get into WoW.

Rift Disciple

I am not going to repeat what others have said, but there is plenty going on in the new expansion zone. Everyone is working towards leveling the gear dropped from the new TD dungeon. It's requiring people to close a lot of rifts, kill zone event bosses, etc. This weekend there were groups everywhere in the active zone events when prior to the 4.1 release people couldn't be bothered. Add to that the Carnival is now going, there's a lot to do.

The downside is that once people have done all the required tasks need to upgrade their gear and the eternal weapon, things will slow down quite a bit. I am sure 4.2 when it launches will create a new level of "excitement" and rush to get things done once again. It's a perpetual cycle.

I have been playing RIFT since beta and talk of RIFT folding has been going on since go-live. Other MMO's have launched and people will play other games and come back to this one when new stuff is available. I have been guilty of this playing Neverwinter and Archeage during breaks. Everything can get old but the thing about MMO's is that good ones will refresh and add content while others let it just sit which indicates it's mostly dead.

Artistically, RIFT is a beautiful game and i think adding an authoring system would give the game a big boost towards new content. We already can create incredibly complex dimensions and being able to do either PVP or PVE would extend a dynamic game. Hopefully, the migration to a 64 bit client provides the needed flexibility to expand not only the dimensions but add new player written content.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinex View Post
    Text.
    Sure, lots of people are out there doing stuff, but its not what they really want to do, a lot of people do it just cause they want the wep, not because the "content" they gottta do is "new".
    Its mostly old content, save for the particles part which already has caused lotsa people to give up on it and quit, the minion upgrading and the instances.
    Speaking of which, lots of peoplr are already back to their AFKing, waiting for their Wicket to hit 25.

Point is, the game would be actual fun if the people did those activities on their own, not for some more firepower and bragging rights, cause that is a limited thing, and is bound to get out of the picture sooner or later.

Tl;Dr most people are out in the open world doing those stuff just because they want the wep, not because they want to do those "content" on their own.

And oh, giving some actual content out would be way better than forcing a grind like that on people (which is gated by leveling a minion lol) to make others, specially newer people get a false sense that there are actual "content" to do and people love doing open world stuff.
    Soon enough, people will be back to TempestBayAFK(TM)

/RantOver

All these millennials, want something for nothing, then complain about it...forcing mmo's out of their subscription model then whine when its not right..not enough.

Reminds me of the girl from willy wonka and the chocolate factory:

I want the whole world, wrapped up in my pocket its my bar of chocolate, give it to me now!...bad eggs.

Trion should administer in game spankings from the faction leaders, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Questoften; 04-10-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Truth is Beauty, Beauty Truth..

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Questoften View Post
    All these millennials, want something for nothing, then complain about it...forcing mmo's out of their subscription model then whine when its not right..not enough.

I want the whole world, wrapped up in my pocket its my bar of chocolate, give it to me now!...bad eggs.

Trion should administer in game spankings from the faction leaders, if you ask me.
    Agree with you 100%

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Questoften View Post

While agreeing with your sentiment I find the targeting of millennials an inflammatory insult. This is not an issue unique to any one generation - and no I'm not a millennial, I'ma Boomer who tries to at least understand why people do what they do even if I can't condone the behavior.
    Last edited by Uviktig; 04-10-2017 at 11:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast