Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Censorship alive and well.

Shadowlander

Post Censorship alive and well.

So recently I've started saying a lot of stuff people disagree with, which is utterly fine. I'm not in rift to win a popularity contest.. But it's getting to the point trion has given people the right to utterly censor anyone they disagree with by just 'reporting them'--Which is a vague thing, they send you an in game mail of 'what was reported' and then shut your chats down, which pretty much makes the game unplayable for any activity a level 70 would do. And it wouldn't be so annoying, if I didn't see other people say JUST as bad things, and not get muted.. But I pop up with one or two offensive things, and I almost instantly get shutdown. So now it's bad enough that if I use world chats, I'm just going to get muted... You've literally given people methods to bully and censor anyone they don't like. Most of what I say gets hidden BEHIND the profanity filter... So if they can see it , they have that disable... Which means it shouldn't be me who gets punished, but rather they should just turn their filter back on. Is anyone else having this problem of being reported for saying any weird/offensive thing, or am I alone? Is this trion telling me I'm no longer welcome? IF you're going to mute me, might as well go for the full ban for 72h or 24h, that way it drives home the point, is this what I paid for, to be censored constantly?

You don't have the right to say anything you want without consequence. No, not even in the US.
    You don't know the facts about other people's reports/mutings/nonmutings.

Quote Originally Posted by Neiali View Post
    So if they can see it , they have that disable... Which means it shouldn't be me who gets punished
    People should get punished for using an ingame option?
    kai...

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #4
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

You can say anything you like, anywhere you like. However, there are consequences to your choices.

In a park, street or other public area, hate speech, bullying, bad behavior or exposition will result in your expulsion and possible arrest by law enforcement, not for violating free speech, but for disturbing the peace, harrassment or violating the civil rights of others.

In a private business, such as a restaurant, pub, retail store or game forums, you will be expelled and possibly barred from entry if you offend or upset other patrons (or the management).

Now let's get specifically to how we handle this at Trion.

From what I have seen of in-game reporting (which is handled by Customer Service), it takes a pretty severe action to be suspended, and that sort of thing is generally reported by a great many people. In forums, the "report post" button works the same way - it draws our moderator's attention to the statements that several people feel are unsuited to the sort of environment we are trying to encourage.

Long story short: be decent to one another.
    Brasse

Shadowlander

Default Reply?

I would understand if I was actually insulting others on what was reported. Both were insults to myself, which also would be hidden by the profanity filter. So it's not really valid to say 'consquiences' because I didn't actually say anything towards anyone but myself. I called myself...Well actually likely shouldn't post it here, but I made a video on it. https://youtu.be/06p7_TmeA8o
    Add. It'll give you the exact posts, and context in which was made, but again I see people posting worse, and not getting muted.. So it just feels it's being done to me alone, which considering I don't know of anyone else getting muted, aside from me.
    (edited at 4:31 pm, because original did not show the mail, it's now at the very start, sorry about that. Also renamed as I'm no longer quite so angry, rest of the video is still same as before, link is updated.)
    Last edited by Neiali; 02-24-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bishoujo View Post
    People should get punished for using an ingame option?
    kai...
    No, I might've came off badly. I ment to say there is an option for the filter, and if they choose not to use it, they shouldn't be able to report and mute people for 'offensive' things hidden by the filters. I'd understand if I took steps to get around it, but I don't, and it was obvious that I wasn't.

...other people say JUST as bad things...
    ...I pop up with one or two offensive things...
    ...You've literally given people methods to bully...
    ...Most of what I say gets hidden BEHIND the profanity filter...
    ...being reported for saying any weird/offensive thing...
    So, you're violating the ToS, get muted, and then come here to tell us the system is working? Gee thanks, good to know.

is this what I paid for, to be censored constantly
    Apparently you paid to be offensive to other people whenever you please, however I'm not sure what made you think you can act this way towards other people even after you've "paid for it". I don't think it says anywhere that Trion provides such services. But while we're at it, I'm glad I can mute jerks in the game, for free.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    You can say anything you like, anywhere you like. However, there are consequences to your choices.

In a park, street or other public area, hate speech, bullying, bad behavior or exposition will result in your expulsion and possible arrest by law enforcement, not for violating free speech, but for disturbing the peace, harrassment or violating the civil rights of others.

In a private business, such as a restaurant, pub, retail store or game forums, you will be expelled and possibly barred from entry if you offend or upset other patrons (or the management).

Now let's get specifically to how we handle this at Trion.

From what I have seen of in-game reporting (which is handled by Customer Service), it takes a pretty severe action to be suspended, and that sort of thing is generally reported by a great many people. In forums, the "report post" button works the same way - it draws our moderator's attention to the statements that several people feel are unsuited to the sort of environment we are trying to encourage.

Long story short: be decent to one another.
    Brasse

Sorry for the previous attempt to reply, I never have used the forum.. But here's the thing about why I'm so annoyed I was reported, if you go to the video I posted (warning it is harsh, as I feel strongly about this matter.) I pointed out the things I were reported for were insults to MYSELF, and all hidden BEHIND the profanity filter. So to see it, someone has to actually disable it, and even so the only person being 'hate speeched' against would be myself, see why it's a bit...Scary? And it was clear from what there were, that they were also jokes... So trion adds in a way to allow swearing, but doesn't like that people actually use it? See what I'm saying, so now I'm not even allowed to make jokes about myself, without fear that I'm going to get muted, and all activities shut down.. Perhaps making it a world-chat ban, which would allow a player to go about their business? Seems a little harsh to be muted for 72 hours for insulting myself, like insanely harsh.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    So, you're violating the ToS, get muted, and then come here to tell us the system is working? Gee thanks, good to know.

Apparently you paid to be offensive to other people whenever you please, however I'm not sure what made you think you can act this way towards other people even after you've "paid for it". I don't think it says anywhere that Trion provides such services. But while we're at it, I'm glad I can mute jerks in the game, for free.
    I insulted myself, the things that got me muted were insults towards myself, which again might I remind you, there is a profanity filter, which would cover it right up. And no, I was 'disruptive' as the reason, not for the actual things said, but rather people being upset about me saying them. Which once more, was self-insults. I'd understand if I was going around insulting people, spamming with whipsers, or the famous "KYS" (kill your self) but mine were jokes made at my OWN expense, so how EXACTLY does that work?

I insulted myself, the things that got me muted were insults towards myself, which again might I remind you, there is a profanity filter, which would cover it right up. And no, I was 'disruptive' as the reason, not for the actual things said, but rather people being upset about me saying them. Which once more, was self-insults. I'd understand if I was going around insulting people, spamming with whipsers, or the famous "KYS" (kill your self) but mine were jokes made at my OWN expense, so how EXACTLY does that work?
    People get offended by the littlest things. Literally nothing you can do about it. Also, muting doesn't happen because one person was offended by what you said. It takes multiple reports to cause a mute.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Is the video title also a joke made at yourself? I mean it does speak of you in a certain way but I can't tell if it's supposed to be funny.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Ascendant

And while we're at it, what is this "fat n**i warlus's" thingy he's referring to in the video title? Never heard that phrase before.

@OP: Just calm down man... just calm down.
    Last edited by Elayara; 02-24-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Shadowlander

Is the video title also a joke made at yourself? I mean it does speak of you in a certain way but I can't tell if it's supposed to be funny.
    The video was after I was already chat banned, and me more then a little angry. The mail shows what was said to get me chat banned, and it's more of the point that now if I say anything anyone doesn't like, I can be chat banned which makes pretty much the entire game unplayable? It doesn't seem all that fair.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post

And while we're at it, what is this "fat n**i warlus's" thingy he's referring to in the video title? Never heard that phrase before.
    It's a reference to Apotheosis video, where they showcase some...Well go youtube it,I can't post a link or anything to that one, people have been banned for it.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    People get offended by the littlest things. Literally nothing you can do about it. Also, muting doesn't happen because one person was offended by what you said. It takes multiple reports to cause a mute.
    Yeah people are easily offended, so that means I deserve to lose the ability to play the game, because people can't handle me insulting myself, the previous chat ban yeah I did deserve, I said a pretty nasty thing despite it being a joke, so I didn't mention it.. But this one, it was undeserved and unfair.. And made me make a video I'm sure will get my acc banned.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast