Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
Like Tree61Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Censorship alive and well.

  1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #16
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    In general, someone yelling and swearing loudly in public (even if at themselves) will constitute a public disturbance. If you feel strongly about it, you can email appeals@trionworlds.com (this goes to the CS team), but as it's not a permanent ban, I'd just accept this ticket and move on.

    The profanity filter is not a license to use profanity, although it helps avoid the full brunt of it. It still upsets people, as they KNOW you're using rude language in a disruptive manner.

    Take some time to mull it over, and approach activity in the game as if you were in your local pub or favorite real life hangout with both friends and strangers. Everyone's having fun, everyone is there to relax or compete in games... and people avoid letting their anger/upset get the better of them, because of the folks around them.
    =)
    Brasse

  2. #17
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    Is the video title also a joke made at yourself? I mean it does speak of you in a certain way but I can't tell if it's supposed to be funny.
    Also, seems I messed up and did not include the mail, going to reupload with the actual mail, as to show case what got me banned. Like I said, I had recorded it several times.

  3. #18
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In general, someone yelling and swearing loudly in public (even if at themselves) will constitute a public disturbance. If you feel strongly about it, you can email appeals@trionworlds.com (this goes to the CS team), but as it's not a permanent ban, I'd just accept this ticket and move on.

    The profanity filter is not a license to use profanity, although it helps avoid the full brunt of it. It still upsets people, as they KNOW you're using rude language in a disruptive manner.

    Take some time to mull it over, and approach activity in the game as if you were in your local pub or favorite real life hangout with both friends and strangers. Everyone's having fun, everyone is there to relax or compete in games... and people avoid letting their anger/upset get the better of them, because of the folks around them.
    =)
    Brasse
    Except I'm not allowed to talk, because if insulting myself can get me chat banned, then absolutely anything can. Like I said, if I was insulting anyone, or it was in any other context then a joke, I would get the point.. But it was A) a joke, B) the entire thing was directed at myself. And yeah I will file an appeal, because this just seems....Well for lack of better words, absurd.

  4. #19
    Rift Disciple wr3ckt4ngle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neiali View Post
    Except I'm not allowed to talk, because if insulting myself can get me chat banned, then absolutely anything can. Like I said, if I was insulting anyone, or it was in any other context then a joke, I would get the point.. But it was A) a joke, B) the entire thing was directed at myself. And yeah I will file an appeal, because this just seems....Well for lack of better words, absurd.
    Crazy idea here, maybe try NOT being insulting, to anyone...yourself included. Fact is, if you don't act out, you don't get any kind of ban at all. Crazy how that works.
    Aggrodaumus - 70 Warrior - Tank/Dps/Support
    Oberryn - 70 Mage - Dps/Tank
    Vildemar - 70 Rogue - Dps
    Jakiir - 70 Cleric Tank/Dps
    Primallaggro - 70 Primalist - Dps/Tank/Support

  5. #20
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wr3ckt4ngle View Post
    Crazy idea here, maybe try NOT being insulting, to anyone...yourself included. Fact is, if you don't act out, you don't get any kind of ban at all. Crazy how that works.
    It's more of the principal that if this can get me muted, then absolutely anything can. I wasn't going around whispering people, wasn't giving death threats, wasn't using 'hate speech' I made two jokes at my own expense, which in their contexts without the other posts are clearly jokes, and with context at the time made a LOT more sense, but obviously don't have screenies. It's more of the matter that if it was truly bad, I would've been fully ban. Chat ban just seems to be an excuse to silence people, without having to actually provide any proof of actually doing something like : harassment or hate speech.. In other words, a cheap method of bullying. I take punishments I deserve, but not ones I do not.

  6. #21
    Rift Disciple wr3ckt4ngle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neiali View Post
    It's more of the principal that if this can get me muted, then absolutely anything can. I wasn't going around whispering people, wasn't giving death threats, wasn't using 'hate speech' I made two jokes at my own expense, which in their contexts without the other posts are clearly jokes, and with context at the time made a LOT more sense, but obviously don't have screenies. It's more of the matter that if it was truly bad, I would've been fully ban. Chat ban just seems to be an excuse to silence people, without having to actually provide any proof of actually doing something like : harassment or hate speech.. In other words, a cheap method of bullying. I take punishments I deserve, but not ones I do not.
    If seems to me that this type of action is typically taken in response to a repeat violation type of violation. Meaning, this is more than likely the result of multiple reports concerning either the same person; i.e. habitual infractions or multiple reports stating the same thing concerning the same incident. They don't just hand out chat bans for no reason. I see plenty of foul things on chats; my guess is you probably earned it and it's probably more related to one of the scenarios i mentioned.
    Aggrodaumus - 70 Warrior - Tank/Dps/Support
    Oberryn - 70 Mage - Dps/Tank
    Vildemar - 70 Rogue - Dps
    Jakiir - 70 Cleric Tank/Dps
    Primallaggro - 70 Primalist - Dps/Tank/Support

  7. #22
    Rift Chaser Dahbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neiali View Post
    It's more of the principal that if this can get me muted, then absolutely anything can. I wasn't going around whispering people, wasn't giving death threats, wasn't using 'hate speech' I made two jokes at my own expense, which in their contexts without the other posts are clearly jokes, and with context at the time made a LOT more sense, but obviously don't have screenies. It's more of the matter that if it was truly bad, I would've been fully ban. Chat ban just seems to be an excuse to silence people, without having to actually provide any proof of actually doing something like : harassment or hate speech.. In other words, a cheap method of bullying. I take punishments I deserve, but not ones I do not.
    obviously you still dont get it, offensive language is offensive language, it does not matter to any "adult" who its directed at, or if its a joke or not, "adults" wont tolerate abusive language in any shape or form. Grow up.

    @TrionBrasse isnt there a minimum age restriction anymore?
    Last edited by Dahbee; 02-24-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    "Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode." TrollBait goes here.
    Dahbee's Law: No matter what gets discussed, voted on, or put into the game, someone will whine.
    Dahbee's Law #2: A good gnome is a dead gnome.

  8. #23
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dahbee View Post
    obviously you still dont get it, offensive language is offensive language, it does not matter to any "adult" who its directed at, or if its a joke or not, "adults" wont tolerate abusive language in any shape or form. Grow up.

    @TrionBrasse isnt there a minimum age restriction anymore?
    First, I'm 19. So I meet most minimal ages, and I don't appricate the insult you slipped in..But I'll keep it polite. Second, you missed the entire point.. The language was only offensive to me, I was the person being insulted.. The words themself mean nothing if not applied to you, it's like saying the word "Die" if it's just said, it's meaningless , if you say it to someone else, it's a threat.. See the difference? Context is king, and in this context what I said wasn't really bad except to myself, and yet I get a 72 hour chat ban.. Yet someone can tell me to off myself, and...Nothing. It's sorta a standard that realize on mob justice, rather then actually being right or wrong, and actually doing something wrong, or just offending people. Offending people isn't a crime, because if that's the case then everyone would be arrested because we offend eachother on everything. So to say "Offensive language" as a reason to justify being banned is : vague, not to mention able to apply to anything, and that would mean everything could be chat banned.. See, it's a slippery slope. What I said didn't fall under hate-speech, or harassment, it wasn't aimed at anyone but myself. Sure, it wasn't in best of taste looking back, but to deserve a 72h ban? Seems a bit harsh for a trashy joke.

  9. #24
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wr3ckt4ngle View Post
    If seems to me that this type of action is typically taken in response to a repeat violation type of violation. Meaning, this is more than likely the result of multiple reports concerning either the same person; i.e. habitual infractions or multiple reports stating the same thing concerning the same incident. They don't just hand out chat bans for no reason. I see plenty of foul things on chats; my guess is you probably earned it and it's probably more related to one of the scenarios i mentioned.
    You made part of my case for me, plenty of foul things allowed, but me insulting myself deserves me getting 72h ban.. Meanwhile "kill yourself" and insults towards people 100% fine.
    And what I said didn't really warrant a true ban, it's why they gave me a "Chat ban for disruptive behavior." And yeah I admit, I have said messed up things in the past, I even got a 24h one that I haven't mentioned because it WAS justified.. But the exact two post that they used to justify it, were both jokes, and aimed at me, neither harassment, nor hate-speech... Chat ban seems a sloppy method to punish people without having real offenses against them, at least ban me if I'm wrong, not just chat ban me.

  10. #25
    Ascendant Laeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,159

    Default

    As it was mentioned before already, to get a chat mute your posts have to be reported by multiple people. So, no, it's not like "anything you say may be used against you", and the post has to be of certain sort to fall under the ToS violation. Simple solution, again - already suggested - don't be a jerk, even "to yourself", as different people might find your jokes offensive (which is kind of proven by the actions taken towards you by CS), and it does take multiple different people to report you before any actions taken.

    Honestly, if you're getting in any sort of trouble more than once, in different situations with different people, while claiming to be perfectly innocent - perhaps it's time to consider there's something wrong with your sense of humor and not the situations and people involved.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

  11. #26
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    As it was mentioned before already, to get a chat mute your posts have to be reported by multiple people. So, no, it's not like "anything you say may be used against you", and the post has to be of certain sort to fall under the ToS violation. Simple solution, again - already suggested - don't be a jerk, even "to yourself", as different people might find your jokes offensive (which is kind of proven by the actions taken towards you by CS), and it does take multiple different people to report you before any actions taken.

    Honestly, if you're getting in any sort of trouble more than once, in different situations with different people, while claiming to be perfectly innocent - perhaps it's time to consider there's something wrong with your sense of humor and not the situations and people involved.
    I never claimed I was innocent of never being offensive, everyone is offensive. You're offending me right now. The more accurate point is mob justice and then no oversight seems highly unfair. Also, many, many people find dark jokes, funny. Humor is how we process really bad things, it's why dark humor exist.. it's one of the healthiest methods of coping. In my case one of them was actually really close to home, and laughing at it makes me feel a tad bit better, who are you to deny me that right because it offends you I insulted myself? But you're failing to see that everything you say I deserve to be banned for, you're kinda doing right now. If we leave it to 'opinion' style justice, then we're doomed. If what I had done was TRULY bad I'd gotten a real ban, trion has given real bans for things like hate-speech. Chat ban is a sloppy method to silence anyone people dislike, without having to actually have them do something wrong. If you haven't noticed, I've not actually insulted anyone, or been rude to anyone in this thread... Even when someone tried to use age to belittle me, I responded politely. If I was someone who was going out of my way to be abusive and offend, wouldn't I take the opportunity to be offensive here? I made two bad jokes, yeah I'll give you them being poor taste, yeah I'll give you perhaps not the nicest thing to say about MYSELF, but not warranting a 72h chat ban stopping me from : doing any real group activities or talking with my pals, in which I play the game for... Seems the punishment does not fit the crime for this, and that is my point.. It's mob justice, with a heavy punishment and can be applied to anyone, for any reason, not the least bit fair, or right.
    Last edited by Neiali; 02-24-2017 at 03:46 PM.

  12. #27
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    81

    Default

    people abuse the reporting system all the time.


    groups of people get together and wait for their target to say something bannable, then they all send tickets.

  13. #28
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beyondcaring View Post
    people abuse the reporting system all the time.


    groups of people get together and wait for their target to say something bannable, then they all send tickets.
    Yeah that's my biggest fear, and it seems I'm the only one who seems to see the room for abuse. I am so glad I'm not alone.

  14. #29
    Rift Disciple KurganNazzir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neiali View Post
    So trion adds in a way to allow swearing, but doesn't like that people actually use it?
    No; like most games and forums, they put in an extra layer to allow those who wish it to try to hide the profanity that other people purposefully use. This extra protection is easily circumvented, of course, but a profanity filter does not give one free reign to use profanity if it's against the rules (I forget if Rift specifically says no profanity allowed). Keep in mind that it usually takes a conscious effort to type profanity; it's not like hitting your hand with a hammer and blurting out "f***!" or something similar, unless you have some really strange stuff going on with your hands in which case I recommend finding your nearest exorcist (or going on TV and making billions).

    You may not care but my opinion as of right now is to just learn from the experience and move on because all I, and probably others, see right now is someone throwing a tantrum about getting caught breaking rules. It would be one thing if you got muted without cause but, so far, everything, including your own admission, points to you breaking the rules, and possibly doing it multiple times for this action to have been taken if what the other posters say is true.

    Quote Originally Posted by beyondcaring View Post
    people abuse the reporting system all the time.


    groups of people get together and wait for their target to say something bannable, then they all send tickets.
    It's not abuse of the report function to use it on people who are saying "something bannable"; I mean, that's the whole point of having that report function. Just don't break the rules and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. People who constantly make false reports are the ones who get action taken against them rather than the person they falsely accuse.
    Last edited by KurganNazzir; 02-24-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Nazzir@Faeblight
    <Shadetouched>

  15. #30
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurganNazzir View Post
    No; like most games and forums, they put in an extra layer to allow those who wish it to try to hide the profanity that other people purposefully use. This extra protection is easily circumvented, of course, but a profanity filter does not give one free reign to use profanity if it's against the rules (I forget if Rift specifically says no profanity allowed). Keep in mind that it usually takes a conscious effort to type profanity; it's not like hitting your hand with a hammer and blurting out "f***!" or something similar, unless you have some really strange stuff going on with your hands in which case I recommend finding your nearest exorcist (or going on TV and making billions).

    You may not care but my opinion as of right now is to just learn from the experience and move on because all I, and probably others, see right now is someone throwing a tantrum about getting caught breaking rules. It would be one thing if you got muted without cause but, so far, everything, including your own admission, points to you breaking the rules, and possibly doing it multiple times for this action to have been taken if what the other posters say is true.
    Yeah many do but no, this isn't something I can back down against. And if we look here, the only people actually being rude, are those in favor of silencing me.. I reply nicely to people, shows something, I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want the opinions of others. But it seems that none of you can see beyond this incident to the underline threat this posses to everyone in rift. If insulting myself can get me banned (as the reason in the mail stated, and there for what I have to go by, as you do.) then anything anyone says that is disagreed with, or disliked offensive or not, can be a ban-able offense. Which means there is 0 speech that is safe, as anything and everything said can be offensive to someone, or someones. Not to mention the room for abuse if you get together and decide to silence someone by just reporting any slightly 'not politically correct' thing. My previous one was deserved, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I can see why it was offensive, I disagree with it.. But I understand the ban, but I don't understand 72hours for insulting myself, and using terms others use commonly warrants such a lengthy and extreme punishment to JUST me. I will take a punishment I earned, but not one that is unjust and unfair. Trion isn't protecting those being accused at all, which fits in with today's society of if you're accused, you must be guilty. So perhaps not so outlandish to some, but to me it's absurd.. Everyone deserves fairness, and this was unfair. Either ban everyone equally, or don't ban anyone. Don't give it to mob justice, which can be a guild or w/e you made angry.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts