+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Scytes
  • 1 Post By forbiddenlake

Thread: So I'm looking at playing Rift.

Soulwalker

Default So I'm looking at playing Rift.

New comer here and I'm looking at coming to Rift...

Few questions...

Are there any viable dual wield classes?(Hey I like to hold two swords and look all cool and shiz)

Is the PvE content satisfying?

What is a friendly starting class? Lets say I see these rogue tanks in videos, how hard would it be to pick up the rogue and learn how to be a tank with it?

Also how about finding a casual/social guild? Do they exist or is this game more of a no casuals only hardcore kinda crowd?

In this game, duel wield vs a two-hander is mostly irrelevant. Except for Warrior-Riftblade, for now, it has little to no effect on DPS. So yes, unless you're a Primalist you can dual-wield. The only limiter is that the weapons have to be of the same tier for two one-handers to be equivalent to a two-hander, which may "force" you one way or the other to make your nuimbers the biggest. Rogues always duel wield; Primalists always 2h; the other 3 can do either.

What does satisfying PvE mean to you? Currently there are only 4 max-level dungeons and one easy, short raid. The "end-game" isn't there yet, though it is coming. There is a lot more to do than dungeons and raids though.

Most callings are newbie-friendly (the souls within them can be easy to complicated), though don't start with Primalist unless you know you want the paid calling. For tanks, I'd say Cleric (free) and Mage (paid) are the easiest, with Rogue (free) and Warrior (free) being harder, but IMO Rogue is the most fun. A Rogue-Riftstalker should actively keep up 3 buffs, so if you can track certain buffs and hit a button before each runs out, you're good. In any case, below level 50 don't worry about it because almost anything will work.

There's plenty of different guilds. You should open up Guild Finder (press shift+g) and look around. You will probably automatically be put in the starter guild with other newbies, but feel free to look around. You can also look around the guild recruitment forum here.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 02-08-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Scytes View Post
    New comer here and I'm looking at coming to Rift...

Few questions...

Are there any viable dual wield classes?(Hey I like to hold two swords and look all cool and shiz)
    If it's only for the cool look, then any class in Rift can dual wield because of the fancy wardrobe-system. My cleric can't dual-wield two swords, but when he carries a dagger & totem I can easily overwrite the appearance so it looks like he uses two swords. Cool dual-wield animations included.

Is the PvE content satisfying?
    Best quest/story-line I've ever seen in an MMO. I'm actually running an ALT just because I like to do the story again. A bit like you would read your favorite book again.

What is a friendly starting class? Lets say I see these rogue tanks in videos, how hard would it be to pick up the rogue and learn how to be a tank with it?
    I only know that Cleric is the most-nerfed class, which makes it more challenging. And when it does get something nice there are forum-PVP-wars until it gets removed. My ALT is a mage and I was so very surprised how unbelievable easy it is to play in comparison.

I'd just like to add that you shouldn't let all the sourness on this forum negatively influence your decision. If you look through all the harsh words you'll see that the unhappy people are mostly unhappy because they want MORE of Rift and that developers just can't keep up with them. Which is a good sign, imho.
    Last edited by Xlavius; 02-09-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Soulwalker

Thank you so much for the replies! Sounds like rift may definitely be what I'm looking for in the end especially if it's just now developing some end game.

Soulwalker

As a long time WoW player, I found RIFT familiar, but different at the same time. There's plenty to do if you're a solo player and just as much if you like group play.

If you want to see a lot of content fast in a group/raid setting, get to level 10 and do instant adventure, particularly Intrepid Adventures. Fast experience and good loot.

+ Reply to Thread