+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: 10 reasons to play RIFT in 2017

Default 10 reasons to play RIFT in 2017

10 reasons to play RIFT in 2017

Hi everyone,

you are new to the game and not sure whether to try RIFT or not? Here are 10 reasons why you should give it a shot:

1) Porticulums

10 reasons to play RIFT in 2017-porticulum_network.jpg

Let’s start off with something that most players are already so used to, that they barely even recognize it as a feature anymore. It was not since I started to try some other MMORPGs at the end of last year that I was reminded of this awesome network of porticulums all over Telara. Porticulums are portals that you can find in almost every major quest hub and city. They unlock when you enter the area they are in and you can access all other porticulums you already unlocked for a small fee to instanty port yourself there. With a Brevanic Portal Generator or as a Patron you can even access the porticulum network remotely from wherever you are! Running 10 minutes to another hub just to return to the previous hub by foot? Not in Telara!

2) The Soul System

You rolled a backstabbing assassin, leveled him, learned to craft, got some nice gear and then want to try another playstyle but already get goosebumps thinking about leveling again and lose all your progress? DO NOT WORRY! Rift’s unique soul system offers you tons of options to play your character the way you like. Rift comes with 4 free callings (Mage, Rogue, Warrior, Cleric) that have 10 different souls each (7 free, 3 optional premium souls), as well as the premium Primalist calling that comes with currently 6 different souls. You can combine 3 of the souls of your calling to build a role and then spend your soul points into them, that you gather while leveling. From level 61-65 you get additional mastery abilities and from level 66 onwards you get legendary points to improve some of your core abilities. You can unlock up to 40 role slots and when out of fight can almost instantly switch between them! Melee DPS or ranged? Maybe tank & spank or heal the raid? Build what you like and experiment what suits your playstyle best!

More info about the soul system: https://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/game/classes/

3) Mentoring & Sidekicking

You want to play with your friends, but they are all on max. level already? Do not worry! With mentoring and sidekicking Rift has two features that make playing together not only fun but also rewardable! Mentoring temporarily decreases your level and stats, while still getting rewards for your actual level when mentored to the appropriate level of the content. That means if you are level 70 and do a zone event with a level 25 friend while mentored to the same level, you can earn token and other rewards that are useful for level 70! Sidekicking works the other way round, your level 25 friend can sidekick and gets boosted the level of the content, while still receiving rewards appropriate for level 25! Playing together was never easier and more enjoyable!

More info about mentoring: http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/game/mentoring/
    More info about sidekicking: https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/e...FT-Sidekicking

4) Instant Adventures

You don’t want to follow the quest line and instead hop right into the action? On level 10 you unlock Instant Adventures, a never ending series of short quests that reward XP, currency and gear within a raid group of up to 20 players. This system also takes advantage of the Mentoring & Sidekicking features, meaning you will play together with players of all levels, which all get bolstered to the appropriate level for the zone you are in. There are normal instant adventures that are good for leveling, intrepid adventures that have more challenge but also better rewards and sometimes seasonal celebration adventures. On level 65 you can also enter the planes by joining Planar Assault Adventures and fight back the forces of the enemy.

More info about Instant Adventures: https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/e...ant-Adventures

5) Artifacts

You are the kind of person that needs to fill up every sticker album they get? Collecting post stamps IRL? CAUTION! Do not get hooked on shinies! The artifact system, brought to us by the pure evil a.k.a. dev Dead Simon, gives you the option to collect little shinies all over Telara and beyond. There are currently around 1,600 sets of artifacts and probably, each requiring multiple common to relic artifacts to complete. Probably there are over 20,000 different artifacts overall and there are even multiple types of them! While the normal ones are just hidden in the world, there are also twisted ones that require a special ability to see them, unstable artifacts that you can only aquire during special zone events and poisoned, burning and nightmare artifacts that hurt you while you are hunting for them. If you choose to start this journey, make sure to prepare yourself!

More info about Artifacts: http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2...cting-in-rift/

6) Puzzles

Speaking of evil Dead Simon, he also created puzzles. Tons of them. And from each zone they get more and more challenging, some of them might cause keyboard damage! If you are really into puzzles you might become a true Callweddi Citizen (hidden city for puzzle masters and artifact hunters) and prove yourself in the puzzle dungeon “Tok’s Proving Grounds”. Believe me, you will not be disappointed!

7) Dimensions

You are creative and want to build something yourself? Dimensions will be your new passion! Rift’s version of an instanced housing system allows you to obtain certain plots of Telara and build in them whatever you desire. And when I say whatever you like, I mean WHATEVER YOU LIKE. From mystic forests, sky scratchers and castles up to Star Wars and Jurassic Park scenes, anything is possible! In your dimensions you can place up to thousands of dimension items, which you can scale, turn, move and morph however you feel like!

Check some epic dimensions on: http://www.dimensiongallery.com/
    More info about dimensions: http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/game/dimensions/

8) Wardrobe

10 reasons to play RIFT in 2017-wardrobe.jpg

Let’s be honest: one of the most important things in MMOs is to look BADASS! In Rift, the appearance of every item you collect will be saved for your wardrobe collection for all your characters on the EU or NA cluster. In the wardrobe menu (“c” -> wardrobe) you can mix and match multiple wardrobe sets together and use the color options in addition to create your unique character appearance! There are thousands of skins waiting for you to unlock them, from quests, dungeons, raids, pvp or the RIFT store.

More info about the wardrobe system: http://community.riftgame.com/en/201...rdrobe-update/

9) The Community

While this is of course very subjective, I have never met a more helpful and welcoming MMORPG community than Rift’s! It’s easy to meet new people and make friends, as most of Rift’s content encourage you to work together with other people to achieve your goals together. If you have questions, you can be sure to get answers and if you need help someone will show up to assist. If you enjoy a (mostly) mature and warm community, you will for sure find a place in ours!

Join the RIFT Community Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/0ekc59gynhonEMQA

10) It’s free (up to level 65)

If the previous points haven’t fully convinced you, keep in mind instead of reading this you could already be downloading the game and just try it out for FREE! All content from level 1 to 65 is completely free, so start your journey in Mathosia, to Brevane and Dusken and enter the Plane of Water! Try all the systems I described here and I am sure you will find even more awesome content you enjoy that is not even listed here!

Last edited by Seshatar; 01-19-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | Heroes of Telara Discord | Extra Life 2017

>>> MONTHLY RIFT GIVEAWAYS <<<

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

pffff admit it you just want more viewers for your twitch
    Kappa.
    Last edited by Bishoujo; 01-19-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishoujo View Post
    pffff admit it you just want more viewers for your twitch
    Kappa.
    My twitch channel isn't even mentioned in the thread except for my signature. So probably it would have been better to spam dozens of useless posts here to spread the link rather than working on a sum-up of some outstanding features that make Rift unique.

Dammit! How do i get all dem twitch moneyz nao?!
    Last edited by Seshatar; 01-19-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | Heroes of Telara Discord | Extra Life 2017

>>> MONTHLY RIFT GIVEAWAYS <<<

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

It is nice to see all these features together but as you said at the end... UP to lvl 65; once you reach 65 and get to SFP there is not much to do to be honest, even so a lot of people keeps stand! including me :P
    Last edited by Shelenia; 01-19-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Legendary Arkkam, The Dragon Tamer.
    Cleric of Inner Circle, Gelidra.
    Formerly known as Franark of Apotheosys, Typhiria

Good article sesh!
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    Mistakes Were Made - Guild
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Ironically your #1 reason is one of the things I don't like about Rift: porticulums I actually enjoy travel time and taking forever, facing difficulty to get places. Makes me feel like I'm on a real journey in a big world! (and yes, I did play old-school MMOs back in the day, why do you ask?) I vote for fewer ports in future content!

Definitely agree about puzzles, artifacts, dims, and wardrobe! Those are fairly well-made in Rift, compared to most other games. Even if the worst happens w/raiding...those will always be fun.
    Serein, Gaetinn, Amkhe, Skaidras | Co-Guild Leader of <Nordvegr> of Faeblight | 4/4 iROTP 4/4 TD

Rift Chaser

And many of those are quite literally *the reason* to play RIFT but I'll focus on what I think are the most important to me:

Wardrobe

The account wide wardrobe system craps all over almost every one I've seen in an MMO, and the one in World of Warcraft is so inferior to RIFT it makes me cringe whenever I see it.

Artifacts

Artifacts are one of the most fun things I've seen in an MMO, originally I saw them in Everquest 2, but I think RIFT does them better. It is so gratifying getting to a location high up in a hard to reach place and seeing a little white glow.

Not only that but it encourages exploration of areas you may never have ever had a reason to visit, even when doing quests.

Mentoring

This is great for those times you want to go back to a zone and finish quests with a friend. It doesn't work so good when leveling up (Eg, tanking HammerKnell IA as a level 15) but I think it's a great thing to have overall.

-----

Now, having said that, there are some things I DO NOT like about RIFT and actively turn me off which are summed up in this still relevant post: Patch Note Wish List from last year.

2) The Soul System

Do a test, place yourself somewhere in a city or quest hub and ask randomly players that run by how many specs they have and how many they can play.

You are right it is a great possibility but my personal opinion is that less than 3% really use it.
    Most people just want to roflstomp around with 1 button specs for epixxxxxx loot.
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Klingensturm View Post
    2) The Soul System

Do a test, place yourself somewhere in a city or quest hub and ask randomly players that run by how many specs they have and how many they can play.

You are right it is a great possibility but my personal opinion is that less than 3% really use it.
    Most people just want to roflstomp around with 1 button specs for epixxxxxx loot.
    True... but you do that by finetuning your souls, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xlavius View Post
    True... but you do that by finetuning your souls, right?
    No, you do that by going to the forum and taking a spec and macros out of a guide

No, you do that by going to the forum and taking a spec and macros out of a guide
    A bit of this and a bit what Xlavius said.
    Sure i check the guides and read the discussions but in the end i need to adapt every spec to my playstyle.
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Champion

Sure i check the guides and read the discussions but in the end i need to adapt every spec to my playstyle.
    Yes, for me the forum is for inspiration only. Or for discovering which of my souls/abilities have been nerfed that week and need re-tweeking.

As for me I always take a good look at my soul abilities and dont really bother with guides,
    i figure my rotations myself and they usually give good results,
    sometimes bad since I make weird hybrids at times lol.

I do get my own playstyles, as like you say you do, but many people want that epixxxxxxx loot so they just copy the 1 button macros and without knowing even their ability names they just spam that macro

Good article Sesh, thank you for posting!
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

As for me I always take a good look at my soul abilities and dont really bother with guides,
    i figure my rotations myself and they usually give good results,
    sometimes bad since I make weird hybrids at times lol.

I do get my own playstyles, as like you say you do, but many people want that epixxxxxxx loot so they just copy the 1 button macros and without knowing even their ability names they just spam that macro
    I think this is definitely one of the best ways to learn how to play specs. However, I think it is a good idea to, once you think you've learned a spec, check out a guide and see if there's anything you overlooked (or just compare notes with someone competent, serves the same purpose). We all miss stuff so there's no harm getting more info.
    The cockroaches won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajib View Post
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records
    4.1 Champion 4.1 Overlord 4.1 Riftblade 4.1 Reaver 4.1 Tempest 4.1 Warpest
    3.7 Beastmaster 3.7 Liberator 3.7 Paladin 3.7 Void Knight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast