+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Artewig
  • 1 Post By DeLivia

Thread: Please explain both need and greed

Shield of Telara

Default Please explain both need and greed

While I know that I am not an entirely a new player, still this is something that I don't know much about. Sorry but I just couldn't think of any other place that I could put it. Also I am not a Patron, that might limit me where I can post. I will tell you a little bit about me to give you the type of player that I am. Sorry ahead of time if I am a bit long winded.

I am the type of player that loves to play with others in this game. For some strange reason that I cannot put my finger on teaming up in this game is more fun than other games. But when I am in a group I will constantly see that piece of gear or the new caches come up with three buttons, need, greed, or pass. Now I understand what pass means. Also I am the type of player that doesn't want to be considered like a ninja looter trying to take everything. That would give me a bad rep and no one would want to play with me.

Also I don't want to take gear from others that could actually use it. You could say that I am looking for a little more than just the definition of Need and Greed. I want to know when to use either in a way that will not likely ire the group that I am with. Here are the questions.

1. What is need?
    2. What is greed?
    3. When do I choose either one of them?

When answering please take the above information as a guide on the information that I am seeking.

I love playing with others in this game and would like to continue to do so. This game has some really great players. Have fun and a thank you ahead of time for reading and answering my questions.

Need if the item is for your calling AND it is an upgrade for you
    Greed otherwise

In the traditional sense, you need on gear you can put to good use. In raids, you think of your main spec. Are you a dps primarily? If so, you let people who are more likely to tank take tank gear. If no one needs it for their "main spec", it goes to off spec rolls. Or, at least, in our raids it does. If no one needs it then, I roll out of 10 or 20, and whoever wins will get the piece to runebreak or to vendor, etc.

Open world, people tend to just need on everything. It makes sense since it only takes one unneeded need roll to throw everything off. So, you take into account what it is. If it's gear, need if you need, and greed if you don't. Try your luck. If it's a crafting materials, and you'll make use of them, need on them. Even if you sell them, you're as entitled as anyone else to the materials. Really, if you care about the thing you're rolling on for reasons other than 'because I can', it's usually safe to roll on all non-class specific items.
    Thunderkat (65) - Tekay (65) - Pfifer (65) - Visionary (65) - Rhailo (65)

<Bounty>'s GL - NA chillest.

Like Forbiddenlake said, needing has priority over greeding, so if everyone but one person rolls greed and that one person rolls need, the need wins. There are certain items that you cannot roll need on (Rogues cannot roll need on plate gear for example). If you're in a group with friends/guildmates, I'd say it's fine to pass up on items if it's a bigger upgrade for them, but if you're in a random group, be selfish. When I was running Nightmare experts at the beginning of the expansion, I had the double stat weapon from Empyrean Core. I still needed Fang of Ber from Gyel Fortress. It dropped and I gave it to a rogue with two blue weapons who I never saw again. Didn't see that weapon drop again for two months. Don't feel bad about taking an upgrade as given the chance, most would not feel bad about taking it from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Fantastic View Post
    Try your luck. If it's a crafting materials, and you'll make use of them, need on them. Even if you sell them, you're as entitled as anyone else to the materials. Really, if you care about the thing you're rolling on for reasons other than 'because I can', it's usually safe to roll on all non-class specific items.
    If I'm going for gear to break down, I see who needs what in the group. I will only need on an item to break down if someone else does the same thing. I think it's ill-advised to roll need on a piece of gear for stars if someone needs the piece as an upgrade.
    Last edited by Artewig; 04-21-2016 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

The exception to these already well explained scenarios would be needing for wardrobe. With the way wardrobe appearances work in Rift, you collect appearances simply by having an item in your inventory. After that you can trade, destroy, salvage or vendor the item and the wardrobe appearance will still be forever saved on all characters on that account. Keep in mind though, if an item drops which you think looks cool but don't actually need for the stats, ask first, because someone else might need it, and that obviously goes before anyone's desire for the wardrobe appearance.

Shield of Telara

Thank you for your answers.

Ascendant

Or you can do it like everybody else does, and hit the "need" button whenever it is available.

Welcome to 2016!

+ Reply to Thread