+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kat Fantastic
  • 1 Post By tazzvon

Thread: DLC and Patron

Default DLC and Patron

Hey guys. Is there a reason to be a patron and buy the DLC? (Storm Legion, Nightmare, etc)

All Expansions are free, you have access to the entire game as F2P, the DLC packs you buy just contain goodies like mounts, new souls, a bit of fluff here and there, for example with Cleric, Mage, Rogue and Warrior you can have a total of 11 souls, of these 11 souls 8 are totally free and 3 you will need to buy.

Primalist is also a buy only Calling so it all depends on how you want to play, need every soul, every spec and all callings? sure, spend money on DLCs and packs, play for free with what you get? sure, each option is totally doable and you can level from 1 to 65 for free.

Depends what you want to do in the game.
    If you want to run around in the world, collect some artifacts and build some things in your dimension or gather some crafting material there is no need for patron or and DLC.
    If you want to raid it looks different. No raidlead will take you in his raid without the earrings, you may be get kicked even out of dungeon groups.
    You also need certain souls and certain specs if you want to raid.
    Patron makes your path from 1 to 65 way easier also the reputation grind with the different factions.
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Klingensturm View Post
    If you want to raid it looks different. No raidlead will take you in his raid without the earrings, you may be get kicked even out of dungeon groups.
    You also need certain souls and certain specs if you want to raid.
    You can easily get earring slots without caring about DLC & patron, just buy from a credit seller for 2k+ plat.

@OP there are many free specs in any callings that are acceptable/common for raids.
    Last edited by Angelin; 04-20-2016 at 02:05 AM.

Soulwalker

Klingensturm, I feel sorry for all those who will kick from group for the reasons you stated. It's a game for gosh sakes, don't take it so serious. It is not a job. If your in the right guild they won't care about that stuff. They may care about basic hit requirements and such but you should have enough guildies to carry one or two peeps. If you find the right group is out to have fun you will be able to run a F2P spec. Just have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tazzvon View Post
    Klingensturm, I feel sorry for all those who will kick from group for the reasons you stated. It's a game for gosh sakes, don't take it so serious. It is not a job. If your in the right guild they won't care about that stuff. They may care about basic hit requirements and such but you should have enough guildies to carry one or two peeps. If you find the right group is out to have fun you will be able to run a F2P spec. Just have fun.
    Its really not your place to judge other players for how they decide to have fun.

The fact is that progression raiding doesn't really allow for guilds to strap on dead weight. If you don't have earrings, you're 10% weaker then an otherwise comparable player. If you don't have your soul packs, you're intrinsically less useful to your guild. If you show up only prepared to be about 80% as useful as an equally skilled player, you're just dead weight. Wiping over and over to bosses because you can't meet DPS or heal check is about the least fun thing you can do in Rift. So its totally understandable that he, or any other raider, wouldn't wanna bring along a true F2P player to a serious raid.
    Starfall Prophecy? More like Overall Amount of Content Fall Prophecy.
    Prophecy of Ahnket? More like Prophecy of Content Drought.
    Rift: Maintenance Mode.

Soulwalker

first off i was not trying to judge anyone and apologize if anyone felt that way. I was simply saying that it is possible to raid without being patron. My guild took me and other noobs who were under geared raiding and they said they had fun even though it took us multiple tries with the bosses. Everyone has to learn sometime and not everyone has the money to pay for stuff. anyway, everyone has their own opinion and i will just keep mine out of the rest of this thread as it is not that big a deal.

Better make sure you have your earrings before you whisper this guy

http://i.imgur.com/DAVBDR2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tazzvon View Post
    It's a game, and I like to have fun and not be burdened down and have things harder than they should be. If you're in the right guild, the raid lead would care more about the needs of the majority and the raid than an individual player. Being a burden is fun for no one.

Patron is optional and paid souls, but earring slots aren't. They're extremely high valued pieces that can take both powerful runes and dream orbs. Not having them is not having 10% of your resist, 10% of your hp as a tank, or a huge chunk of main stat. The game is balanced around earring. When we raid test, we don't have half the group deliberately go without earrings. I don't agree with having them be a credit only purchase, but that doesn't mean they're not required for raiding, especially latest tier raiding.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 04-20-2016 at 09:28 AM.

I think the mistake is correlating raiding as a whole with hardcore/progression raiding. Yes, you can raid without earrings, patrons, souls, etc. We're on to t3 raid content now, so it's far easier for those who had been active raiding earlier content to carry guildies through T1 & T2. That said, going on a guild fun run, or pugging into an RoF, isn't quite the same as progression grinding T3.

If a guild is willing to run their less geared members through content, that's kudos to /that/ guild. Unfortunately, not all guilds are so patient, and pug raids? Hah. Those will be the least patient with people lacking multiple specs, or earrings. Why? Because a guild has an investment in gearing it's members, so their progress is group progress in that right. A pug group has no investment in you as an individual. Their intention is to clear the raid, and disband back to their perspective guilds. Pugs are replaceable, and without attachment to the raid lead, they'll just replace you with someone better suited.

All the same, the soul packs and the earring slots are definitely worth getting if you intent to raid. Patron is optional, but encouraged.
    Thunderkat (65) - Tekay (65) - Pfifer (65) - Visionary (65) - Rhailo (65)

<Bounty>'s GL - NA chillest.

Soulwalker

Thank you for clarifying the different raids and yes i belong to a great guild who's members are very patient and willing to help everyone. Nice response, teaching is always better then blasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tujax View Post
    Hey guys. Is there a reason to be a patron and buy the DLC? (Storm Legion, Nightmare, etc)
    If you look around hard enough you can find the Nightmare Tide Ultimate Edition for $50 bucks on a few websites.
    <Retired>
    RIP <Nephilim>
    RIP <White Fang>

Earrings are not really where it's at. The nose ring is far more powerful imo!
    OneButton (Half-way now to becoming a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "One button raider for life!"

+ Reply to Thread