+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Is this game alive and well? - Traumatized by previous game.

Default Is this game alive and well? - Traumatized by previous game.

Hello everyone.
    I'm brand new here, was about to start the game but the emergency maintenance caught me.
    I've played a couple MMOs before, for short periods of time. From Ultima Online, Lineage 2, to Aion, Perfect World, etc.

My favorite game remains being Granado Espada - a Korean-developed game which's great feature is: You are a family, not a character, you recruit NPCs, and you control 3 characters at once (MCC3). You also use an auto-attack system in which you basically press spacebar and your characters kill stuff for you (without skilling, healing, buffing, etc).

Granado Espada is to blame for the fact I've played all other games (except ultima online) for short periods of time: they all were too similar in mechanics, the graphics were kind of roughed around the edges, and I just couldn't pick a character to stick with.

However GE (T3Fun's server) is dying/dead; most of the players quit or just went inactive forever, come back for a patch, stay 5 days or one week max, make the new quests, and go back offline. The clans are too obsessive with hating eachother and PVPing and there's barely any raiding/grinding except for one big clan in the ONLY server the game has.

The game has become excessively pay-to-win, and hard to get by without wither buying stuff yourself or buying stuff from the few players who sell cash shop items at exorbitant, manipulated prices. The economy is hell - everything becomes overpriced when few people play/sell their stuff. Making game-money is very hard too, because the drops from most raids are terrible.

The server is also very behind on patches if compared to other servers, the managing is nearly non-existing (we never see GMs ingame, the mail support is broken/ignored/extremely slow), and it seems all they're trying is to squeeze money out of the remaining "paytards" before the game whilters due to inactivity.

I had considered moving to a different server/company, but everybody says the other servers are at the same or even worse situation than our own. Also, I had played such game since 2008 (with lots of breaks). It gave me shivers to imagine starting fresh-off on a new server.

It breaks my heart to see how GE stands. It's a lovely game. However, we've reached a point where you don't have willpower to go grinding or raiding, because it's pure pointless - the loot doesn't pay the money you spend on potions and mission entry. High end stuff is pretty much big-clan-exclusive, and the stuff worth money only comes from clan raids.

The loot system itself is also terrible. Daily missions that can be soloe'd or done in small groups have a ROULETTE system. I'm not joking. An actual roulette shows up with 2 slots. You can pay extra money for 4 slots - but it's never worth it, the loot is too bad. Roulettes are individual windows so each player gets their own loot from such. The only raids that literaly drop stuff - stuff worth anything- are the world raids, which are either monopolized by big clans or fought inbetwen them.

It makes it pretty much impossible to advance in the game aftter some point without spending IRL money. Because there are little to none clans that work helping lower level players advance - And those which exist barely get loot enough to do so - and to join big clans, you must be well-geared.

Well, I spoke a lot of GE for one simple reason:
    Can anyone tell me if any of the problems I mentioned above happen in Rift?

As far as I've observed, inatcivity is not a problem.
    GMs seem to be nice enough: The loading screen is so up-to-date that the message about maintenance popped while I was finishing patching, and the actual message in forums is real-timed. GMs/Mods seem to care here, which is a wonder next to what we witness in Granado Espada.

Forum-wise, I don't see people constantly complaining about the game or the management, so that's quite a relief too, LOL.

Also, I've skimmed and saw something about "Time Cards" being something you need that are exclusive cash-shop items and quite needed for the game. Is this true? What are they, and what do they do?

If some patient good soul(s) could help me answering this, i'd appreciate very much!

Telaran

You'll get a of different responses, so take them with a grain of salt.

As a mature player with a lot of different MMO experience, I can honestly say this is my favorite game. I still enjoy the deep talent system (even if there are cookie cutter, min/max souls), the class versatility and (IMO) a friendly cash shop.

Not sure I can totally agree about the caring parts of your post. Yes, there are some communications in-game and on the forums but not always. Tonight's shard downtime was not announced in-game and some of us were in instances or raids. Obviously not a huge issue but still annoying.

Game performance is another issue. I, like others, find the lag frustrating. It's not all the time and it's tolerable most days but there's an obvious issue that isn't being addressed.

Overall player numbers seems a little low but that's based on other games. AM times seem light with long queue times unless you are a tank. Even as a healer I can see long wait times depending on my level.

I won't touch the grindiness since most MMO's do that.

Overall I still love this game. It's not perfect but I still find it the best game currently. I'd love to see some issues resolved but it's still enough to keep me here. And the best part is that you can play this game w/o spending a penny. All you need is a little time to see if it's a game for you.

GL.

Rift Disciple

No, it's nowhere near as bad as what you were talking about. While the whole 'pay to win' moniker gets thrown around from time to time, it's really more 'pay for convenience'. All content in the game is available as free to play. That's all zones, 1-65, all the dungeons, raids, warfronts, etc. You just download and go.

That said, there's some handy stuff that you probably should spend money on at some point, if you're going to play a lot. First is unlocking the Auction House. You can do that by buying the cheapest ($5US) credit pack, which gets you the 1500 loyalty you need to post on AH. Other, and possibly better, ways of getting loyalty include buying any boxed copy of the game (I think you can get the original game box with code for around $8 on Amazon), that gets you an extra couple character and bag slots, as well as the loyalty.

There's two Soul Packs (Storm Legion and Dream), that each come with an additional soul for each calling. Some of them are pretty handy (warriors healing, mage tanking, etc), but you can certainly wait to see what you're interested in before investing, and it's definitely not mandatory to buy them.

There's the Nightmare Tide packs, that come with all sorts of goodies related to the Plane of Water, ranging anywhere from $25 to $100 (the $100 one comes with a group summons and a fast, swimming mount, along with a bunch of other stuff). The big thing that all three NT packs have is unlocks for Earring Slots and Plane of Water equipment. Without those, you will be limited in your equipment options.

Lastly, there's Patron time, which is a monthly subscription. For around ~$15/month, you get a teleport, addition dungeon and warfront charges (these aren't required to do them, they just give you extra token rewards), added xp, cash, and token gains, and an increase in the weekly token cap, as well as some other odds and ends. Handy, but definitely not necessary.

To further muddy the waters, all this stuff is available in game, through credits. You buy credit packs for real money and spend them on stuff....OR you can buy a REX from another player for platinum, which you can then convert to credits to spend. Long story short, you can make money in game to buy all of that stuff, though some of it would take you quite a while. Patron Passes (15 or 30 days) are available for credits on the Rift Store, in game, and that's probably what the Time Cards you're referring to are. Again, that's just Patron time, and not mandatory. I haven't really done the math, but I'd guess you could spend ~$100 and get most everything you could want outside appearance/fluff items and be set, if you didn't go for Patron.

tl;dr All of the content is free. Most of the things you'd want to buy aren't that expensive, are one time purchases, and are obtainable by other means in game, if you want to skip spending money.
    Last edited by Koraii; 07-15-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Very well said Koraii! I was writing up something, but had to stop to fix dinner.... so you beat me!

Eollica, this is such a fun game. Don't buy anything for a while, just get immersed in it. Then when you are feeling like delving into things a little bit more, re-read Koraii's post, and go from there.

I love this game. Welcome to Rift!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Shadowlander

The shard I'm on is active (Faeblight). The guild I'm in is growing and usually has 10-30+ people online. The higher population is during the evening (US time zones) but even in the early morning we usually have 10+ people on.

As for Pay to Win, not really. As mentioned, it's more Pay for Convenience. The best gear in the game cannot be purchased (Tier 3 Raid Gear). We have plenty of people in my guild who Play for Free with another group that pays the subscription. Both groups are able to play with each other. I've been paying the subscription as I have found the Patron bonuses to be very nice. But, play enough, get enough plat to buy a REX from someone and you don't need to spend a dime, someone else has already spent it for you.

The only other thing I would mention that it's good to spend credits on is the 150% mount. The credits are often times less painful to spend than the 1000 plat needed in-game. And once you have one 150% mount, all your other mounts will be the same speed so you can pick and choose if you want another mount and not have to worry about the mount speed.

Thanks very much to both of you!

So far i like what has been mentioned. Also I looked up the Souls system, and that seems very nice. Seems to make one character more versatile, looks very interesting.

And $100 total to get all the miscellaneous of cash stuff seems decent, considering i woudln't spend it all at once and surely won't be buying before being a bit advanced ingame.

I assume Auction House is like an NPC online market?
    As in, you post an item ingame for all players to buy through a bidding or pricing system?

Thank you a lot again!

Default Relax... It's only going to hurt for a little while.

Lance! It's like I have a brother from another mother!

All I have to say is everything Lance wrote. So there!

C.
    EIOIN of FAEBLIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Haeljan View Post
    The only other thing I would mention that it's good to spend credits on is the 150% mount. The credits are often times less painful to spend than the 1000 plat needed in-game. And once you have one 150% mount, all your other mounts will be the same speed so you can pick and choose if you want another mount and not have to worry about the mount speed.
    Ohh that's extremely interesting. I'm a big fan of mounts - something GE very sadly doesn't have.

Does this game also have a housing system, like Aion?
    I haven't seen anything anywhere about it, so my guess is it doesn't.
    Now I'm eager to play and the servers decided to act up. QQ.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Very well said Koraii! I was writing up something, but had to stop to fix dinner.... so you beat me!

Eollica, this is such a fun game. Don't buy anything for a while, just get immersed in it. Then when you are feeling like delving into things a little bit more, re-read Koraii's post, and go from there.

I love this game. Welcome to Rift!
    Sorry, I'll type slower next time!

lance did hit on some important stuff. There certainly are issues with the game, both wide sweeping (performance issues, lag, class balancing, etc) and focused (pvp matchmaking, laggy raiding shards, probably some dimension issues I don't know about, etc). Many of them have been around a long time, and don't even get mentioned by Trion. Dig into the forums and you'll find that a lot of people complain about the game and the management, though that's true wherever you go to a certain extent. It's mostly about the reoccuring issues that just haven't been addressed. Play long enough and you'll learn all about the green lips bug...

Regardless, my advice to you would be the same as Narcise - just start playing. Very little of the purchasable stuff is going to make any difference to you for the first couple weeks. Dive into the game, and especially the Soul system, which is deep, unique and what keeps a lot of people here.

Be aware that you can buy Roles (the first couple are really cheap) which is just a build of three different souls in your calling. You can swap those roles at any time when out of combat (so you can go from healing to ranged damage to tank, all at the push of a button). That's really the heart of what makes Rift fun and unique, and unfortunately the game does a pretty bad job of explaining it to new players (which is why I mention it). Get comfortable with that, have fun exploring and doing quests, and soon you'll have a good idea of if and how much money you'd want to spend, and what might be valuable to you.

If you like the game and think you might want to stick with it, I'd spend the $8-10 on an original boxed game. Then, if you're feeling spendy, drop $25 on the cheapest Nightmare Tide pack. For $35, you could really never spend another cent on the game and be fine.

Yep, just look on amazon for a box - they still have them DIRT cheap. After that, you'll think the sky's the limit.

Are there issues - well, yeah, every game has them. But this game has something that the other games with issues don't have - and that's the fun. And the community is pretty darn great too.

Oh, btw - don't know if you've had player built housing elsewhere? If so, well, dimensions are a pretty great follow on from there - and if you haven't, then welcome to one of the best most fun "sidegames" anywhere - Rift Player Dimensions. Whole forum here devoted to that:

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-discussions/dimensions/
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Oh Koraii, I didn't imagine the souls would be THIS versatile. (Switching to tanky/ranged/healing stances).
    Now it's cheering me up, specially the fact I usually can't simply stick to a single character class, being used to multi-character playing.

WHEN WILL THAT MAINT END? D:
    I guess ill only be able to play tommorrow </3
    But really eager for it now!

About the recurring issues, well I guess every game has a few imbalances/unattended issues.
    But from what you're all saying, they can be overlooked.

I'm already making up my mind on character:
    A High Elf, Mage, magic sword wielding (no idea what are the limitations of regular Mage weapons x magic swords), and later become Stormcaller (I have a thing for wind-related elementalists, I guess my username calls it out, lol).

Welp, guess now all I need is for the servers to go online. xD

Thanks very much again to all!

Edit:
    Ok, now I'm freaking out, THIS GAME HAS MOUNTS, WATER MOUNTS AND HOUSING SYSTEM TOO?
    AND YOU CAN CUSTOM THE HOUSES?
    Dayyyum. This is some neat stuff you guys got!
    Can characters swim as well? D:
    Last edited by Eollica; 07-15-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eollica View Post
    Ohh that's extremely interesting. I'm a big fan of mounts - something GE very sadly doesn't have.

Does this game also have a housing system, like Aion?
    I haven't seen anything anywhere about it, so my guess is it doesn't.
    Now I'm eager to play and the servers decided to act up. QQ.
    Yes, Dimensions, I put a link in my last post up there. Yes, the servers are being pooky this time, but this is the worst one since I started playing (May 2014) - it's not usually this bad.

The one thing I have to enter a caveat on is "replayability". I have lots of alts.... but really, with only two starting areas (one for each faction) and two "follow on" areas (one for each faction), it's hard to keep making and playing lowbies. There's not much you can do about that.
    Last edited by Narcise; 07-15-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Default 628

How does DImensions work?
    Is it cash-shop enabled?
    Is it kind of like in The Sims, you buy a terrain and build stuff on it?
    TEACH ME SENSEI xD

^Says the noob who hasn't even logged to the game.

And yes I've read the server downtime is due to a recent patch, so, i guess that's absolutely forgivable.

I really press how wonderful the community is, given it's the reason I stay with RIFT.
    I've been involved in toxic communities in the past, and realistically, that's my worst fear when I try out a new game.
    So, without expressing my opinions on the rest of the game, I'll just say I love the players RIFT has.
    They're great people as a collective.

10/10
    Would RIFT again.
    Thunderkat (65) - Tekay (65) - Pfifer (65) - Visionary (65) - Rhailo (65)

<Bounty>'s GL - NA chillest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Fantastic View Post
    I really press how wonderful the community is, given it's the reason I stay with RIFT.
    I've been involved in toxic communities in the past, and realistically, that's my worst fear when I try out a new game.
    So, without expressing my opinions on the rest of the game, I'll just say I love the players RIFT has.
    They're great people as a collective.

10/10
    Would RIFT again.
    Considering just how well and how many people replied to this thread without flaming, I'm believing you so far.
    This is really good to hear!
    In most games, players tend to be seriously drama and flaming addicts. Specially when the game gets boring/empty. GE is completely infected, Scammers, people nagging, paytards manipulating the market, and people just flame threads for no reason. Ask for help, you pretty much get a nice middle finger, or people will answer the wrong thing to the newbies on purpose. It's pretty sad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast