+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are the souls that cost money "better"?

Shadowlander

Default Are the souls that cost money "better"?

Hello. I played at launch, but left until recently. I found myself reading a bit before jumping back in, and had decided on being primarily a Harbinger. Then I got into game, and couldnt figure out how to have Harbinger. After being frustrated, thinking I was doing something wrong, I decided to make a cleric, and go Defiler. Couldnt find that either. After googling it, I see that you need to purchase them, and I looked at the price and it seemed a bit steep for just a few souls and no other benefit.

So my question becomes, are the souls that you must pay for better in some way? If I just say screw it to Defiler, and go with, say, a Shaman, am I playing a less powerful character? Or are they all balanced, and the ones you pay for just to spice things up? If they are just to spice things up, I think I will pass for now until I have gotten into the game a bit, and need some "spice."

Telaran

IMO they are worth it but that's because I like more options. Plus some of them really are nice to have, like the extra healing souls. The rogue healing soul is nice but I haven't spent much time on the warrior one. Mage tanking seems to well liked too. The support soul for Cleric seems decent but not required.

They're not used as primary souls very much, but warriors, clerics, and mages use their Storm Legion souls as off-souls for DPS builds. Rogues use theirs as an off soul for tanking. Mages also use theirs for healing.

The amount of effectiveness you lose by not having them varies. Warriors and Clerics are probably more heavily effected than Mages and Rogues.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    Warriors and Clerics are probably more heavily effected than Mages and Rogues.
    You deffinitly want Harbinger if you are a mage, but a rogue can live without Tactician
    Kalygos - Kallyh
    Virus@Deepwood
    "Most cleaved rogue WW - Thanks, Wayyne"

Plane Touched

In order to have an optimal build you often need one or several of the bought souls as "sub souls"
    Last edited by Morgaith; 06-11-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Shadowlander

Alright, but how handicapped are we talking if I dont? Especially in the beginning, as I would rather not drop the cash for one soul (that I will use) and then end up quitting in short order if I dont feel a good fit in Rift. I assume that without buying these souls, I could still level and such for the next few weeks/month to see where I sit, yes? Or will the difference be night and day, and I am just silly for not getting them?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
    Alright, but how handicapped are we talking if I dont? Especially in the beginning, as I would rather not drop the cash for one soul (that I will use) and then end up quitting in short order if I dont feel a good fit in Rift. I assume that without buying these souls, I could still level and such for the next few weeks/month to see where I sit, yes? Or will the difference be night and day, and I am just silly for not getting them?
    You'll be fine unless you want to raid at a higher lvl, i'd suggest playing a cleric if you don't want to buy the souls.

Plane Touched

Play the game, get used to everything and if you feel that you want to play harbinger then you can buy the souls later. Don't forget that you can swap to a different spec as long as you are out of combat; you don't have to level all the way as a harbinger to play harbinger at max level

Quote Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
    and had decided on being primarily a Harbinger.
    Your problem starts here. You are a Mage and not one subsoul.
    Yes you can lvl and run random dungeons as soul XY.
    If it comes to Worldevents, Raids or Rifts you need to be flexible, which imo is the big advantage of RIFT.
    Letīs say you are a tank and come to a world boss or a rift and there is already a tank what will you do except to spectate ?
    Same goes with raids, there are limited tank spots.
    Take this in consideration.
    If you run on a F2P account you also need to invest some money to use the auction house so why not buy a soul package from the store ?
    I am the weapon, my daggers are just tools
    Security Warning:This human beeing may use cynicism and sarcasm in a way you are not accustomed to, you might suffer severe mental damage
    Starfall Prophecy ALL Content cleared

Shadowlander

Sorry, but I am not basing my first week purchases on what will help me out on raiding, especially since I dont like raiding. The question is if I will be gimped without it, and it seems to be that I wont be. I already have a box code in, so I get various benefits already. Why would I cash out on a soul today that doesnt make a real difference for me at this point? Especially when I am just testing the waters? That is what my question was about. If the souls you pay for were more powerful, and clearly better, period, than what the free ones are, then I would have considered picking up the pack to better judge the game. (rather than playing a weaker version) That doesnt seem to be needed, and I have been enjoying myself as a shaman.

Rift Disciple

I will take the warrior as an example.

Bought souls for the warrior are the Tempest, ranged dps, and the Liberator, healing.

-If you want to tank, then the Void Knight or the Paladin are free and your to go souls for that; both Tempest and Liberator are largely irrelevant here.

-If you want to dps then you have Paragon for melee solo-target dps, Champion for melee multi-target dps, or Reaver for ranged solo/multi-target dps; all three are free and the utility of the Tempest is minor overall.

-If you want to heal you will absolutely need the Liberator because it is the only real healing soul of the warrior, but people at endgame do not very much like it because they find it has less utility than other healers.

Liberator is useful from low to medium difficulty content, but not much after that.
    Tempest is the other way around, it is a soul favored to optimize your build to the utmost.
    To say it simply: yes they can be useful, sometime very useful, but their utility depend of what you intend to do in the game.

I would recommend you to buy a Laethy's Fortune pack which includes both soul packs, 90 days patron and a lot of other stuff which is very useful.

It's currently 75% off on Glyph, Steam and Gamersgate, so this is the best you can get atm.
    twitch.tv/seshatar | Twitter: @Seshatar | HoT Discord | Discord: Seshatar#1337

<Skins on Farm> selling 700+ weapon wardrobe skins on [EU] (click for full list)

IGNs: [EU] Volturnus@Gelidra / [NA] Seshatar@Faeblight | RAF: LMPNWLNLPHY2P6QCTWF6

You'll be fine. Just like any game the souls have their ups and downs, however they are not required unless you end up doing cutting edge raiding. Just play the game and see if you like it.

If you do end up liking it then I would strongly suggest you look at buying both soul packs due to the fact they give great utility to your calling.

The big thing is don't let yourself get tunnel vision for one soul. There are 8 souls per calling that you get for free as a base play style and they can fill three of the four roles. There is a lot of fun play styles in those 8 alone, so don't get set on one soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Koodbool View Post
    -If you want to heal you will absolutely need the Liberator because it is the only real healing soul of the warrior, but people at endgame do not very much like it because they find it has less utility than other healers.
    Liberator is one of the strongest raid healing souls in the entire game. It's less used than Chloromancer or Phys-tact in the current tier of raiding primarily because of a lack of personal DPS and the raid cool downs those two specs bring, but that doesn't mean 'endgame' players don't like it.

It's extremely strong in situations that require mobility, mitigation, and a mixture of burst and sustain healing. As for utility, it has a huge AOE shield every minute, a combined maximum of 13% mitigation every minute, a powerful, raid-wide mobile channel that gives 6% mitigation for 6 seconds every 15 seconds, and multiple, unique, powerful HoTs that can save people even when they're LoS'd. It also has one of the strongest AOE healing cooldowns in the game; medical facility and deliverance almost rivals flame of life in sheer HPS.

Personally, my guild used (and still uses) a liberator on Jinoscoth, Izkinra, Threngar, PUMPKIN and Crucia. We also use one on Murdantix and Rune King Molinar (partly because of their low DPS requirement).

Back on topic:

If you've like the several hours you've put into this game, I'd highly recommend getting the Laethys' Fortune pack. 75% off is the best deal I've ever seen, and all the quality of life stuff it brings you will greatly improve your experience. You'll be happy later, when the price goes back up to $150.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 06-19-2015 at 10:06 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

As mage:

No Harb for non-raider = meh. Pointless to have.

No Harb for raider = Gimped as all hell.

No Arbiter for non-raider = You actually played mage to tank?

No Arbiter for raider = You'll do fine, but you lose out on a lot of shenanigans and other tricks that mages can do if there's no other mage tank.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

+ Reply to Thread