+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eionnel

Thread: Hello :) some basic newbie advice?

Soulwalker

Default Hello :) some basic newbie advice?

Hi all! I've been playing Rift a couple of weeks and I really like it. At times I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount there is to do in the game, though, and not a lot of advice I've been able to find seems relevant to my own situation, so I just thought I'd ask a quick question.

I'm not interested in raiding or dungeons and I don't care about having the best gear. What I do care about are dimensions/dimension items, collecting lots of skins for the new wardrobe, and seeing as much of the story as possible (understanding that I'll probably miss some things due to not raiding). Aside from obviously saving up lots of platinum, do you have any suggestions for things I should be doing as I head toward max level? (I'm currently 23 on a Guardian character and 25 on a Defiant character, just finished up the main story quests for the first maps on each of them.) Are there any lore things I should make sure to check out now that might not be available later or such?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for how to effectively get things sold on the Auction House? I'm losing a lot of money in listing fees because I put things up at the suggested price of one silver below lowest (mostly artifacts worth a few plat each) and then they just expire without being sold, but I'm not sure what else to do really.

I suppose this is a bit of a vague post, so thank you for reading!
    Last edited by Eionnel; 04-15-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Welcome to Rift.

About selling items on the auctionhouse, search for the items you want to sell first, and see what is offered for what price.
    Then before putting it up for auction, check the sales history too - and then make your own offer based on those informations.

You can have up to three professions, without buying any profession slots, so get the gathering professions first, and then sell full stacks of resources on the AH.
    But as mentioned above, check the price on your own first, don't just trust the suggested price blindly.

Dimensions and dimension items... well, the market is flooded with those, and if that isn't enough for you, you can also send out your minions to collect more things through adventures.

Lore, keep and eye out for books lying around to read up about the Rift background. Even handing in artifact sets in your faction city will reward you sometimes with something to read.
    Just take your time and look around a bit...
    Last edited by Schneeball; 04-16-2015 at 07:13 AM.
    Rift, acend-a-friend code: E7DNGTZMQKXWGD77CC72
    Trove, refer-a-friend code: TJCQWZ3EK2MGYTEQHT9Q
    and thank you.

Telaran

About the AH - the economy in this game isn't great. Not sure why but I suspect it just doesn't have the sheer numbers to make items move quickly.

About artifacts - I find most basic ones sell for around 45 gold regardless of what other people are trying to sell them for. People either have a lot of them already or won't spend 1 platinum to buy them. Again, that's what I think the sweet spot is on my server.

If the artifact is of higher quality, I will undercut other sellers but a lot more than a silver in hopes of selling it.

If you love dimension items and collecting artifacts as I do, then you want to be a Dreamweaver. You make dimension items and keys out of artifacts and, dream orbs are your best money maker there. With foraging and Mining (so you can get 99% of what a dreamweaver needs w/o buying it) it's a fun profession and way to play for us collectors and dimension lovers.

EDIT: If you hapeen to be on Faeblight, I have a guild (just me now) but you are welcome to join if you want. Just message the guild "In Vexari" from the guild finder and, I'll send out an invite.

No voice, no raiding, just world content, events, crafting and, RP if you like.
    Last edited by Kadeth; 04-16-2015 at 07:50 AM.
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Schneeball View Post
    Dimensions and dimension items... well, the market is flooded with those
    The market is flooded with items none wants, but some more rare ones can be hard to find and costly. Not to mention expanding your dimension gets expensive too and once you get hooked on building something you get to the item limit pretty fast.
    My first several weeks as 65 was spent on grinding money to get my Dormant Core to Tier 5 and it was quite a grind.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Eionnel View Post
    Hi all! I've been playing Rift a couple of weeks and I really like it. At times I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount there is to do in the game, though, and not a lot of advice I've been able to find seems relevant to my own situation, so I just thought I'd ask a quick question.

I'm not interested in raiding or dungeons and I don't care about having the best gear. What I do care about are dimensions/dimension items, collecting lots of skins for the new wardrobe, and seeing as much of the story as possible (understanding that I'll probably miss some things due to not raiding). Aside from obviously saving up lots of platinum, do you have any suggestions for things I should be doing as I head toward max level? (I'm currently 23 on a Guardian character and 25 on a Defiant character, just finished up the main story quests for the first maps on each of them.) Are there any lore things I should make sure to check out now that might not be available later or such?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for how to effectively get things sold on the Auction House? I'm losing a lot of money in listing fees because I put things up at the suggested price of one silver below lowest (mostly artifacts worth a few plat each) and then they just expire without being sold, but I'm not sure what else to do really.

I suppose this is a bit of a vague post, so thank you for reading!
    Hi there!

Heading to max level I would be investing in everything that helps you find artifacts and checking out Dream Weaver profession as well as the gathering professions and fishing.

Every craft has Dimension items to craft but artifact collecting will help you to do Dream Weaving that is aimed directly at Dimensions, as well as make money (Some artifacts sell very well.) The gathering professions can be done as you collect artifacts and you can also cross shard - right click on portrait to do this or do achievements finding rares etc which is also fun.

Get Omen Sight to see more artifacts & become familiar with Unstable Artifacts.

I would also go out of my way to get as many Minions as possible and because you want to collect wardrobe stuff mentoring up and down for IA"s, getting to max level then going back and farming low level content for skins etc will be fun.

Lore wise in game there is nothing that can't be revisted later except the beginners pre-Ascended stuff which is what makes Rift so awesome. Dimensions also has new interactive books & NPC's.

There are Puzzles you might enjoy, higher level guides you might find over on Adventures in Telara Forums. Dimension rewards in Puzzles are in Storm Legion, items for Dimensions are in all content in Rift at various level.

Rift Official Community Blog - is a great way to catch up & keep up with the game
    Rift Grate has guides and info to also achieve all you need
    Dimension Forums & Guide Forums will also help you enjoy your game more.

Welcome to Telara!

"I'm not interested in raiding or dungeons and I don't care about having the best gear. What I do care about are dimensions/dimension items, collecting lots of skins for the new wardrobe, and seeing as much of the story as possible (understanding that I'll probably miss some things due to not raiding)."
    -I think you should still do dungeons, even if its with a direct entrance to the dungeon and having a high level player pull you through. The dungeons have stories tied to the zones/plots. This doesn't mean you have to focus on Expert Dungeons though (especially the expansions' ones, as they're not much different story-wise compared to the Normal Dungeons).
    -Raiding is more easy to pass over. There are Lv 50/60/65 1-2 man Chronicle instances that tell stories, and often those stories take place during/before/after the raid events, in the raid locations. You'll still miss some story by not raiding, but not all of it.

"Aside from obviously saving up lots of platinum, do you have any suggestions for things I should be doing as I head toward max level? (I'm currently 23 on a Guardian character and 25 on a Defiant character, just finished up the main story quests for the first maps on each of them.)"

-If you're trying to get all story, the order of care goes:
    1)Get all quests done (of course!)
    2)Get the epic questline done if it involves the zone you're in (may include the dungeon)
    3)Complete the dungeon, maybe any zone events that happen (some zone events may have more to do with earlier world events that have happened instead of the zone's own story)

-The game is divided by version; Classic (Lv 1-50, Mathosia), Storm Legion (Lv 50-60, Brevane and Dusken), Nightmare Tide (Lv 60-65, Plane of Water). So try to complete most of the content in each area before moving on. If you need to, Mentor down your level to continue to get Exp.

-The Aelfwar/Endless Sagas (depends on faction you are) are Lv 1-50 Mathosia.
    -The Water Saga is Lv 50 Mathosia.
    -The Wanton Maw Saga is Lv 50 Mathosia.
    -The Air Saga is Lv ?-60 Mathosia, Brevane, Dusken.

Order of things:
    -Mathosia map (except Ember Isle) (Tier 1-2 raiding story)
    -Ember Isle zone (Tier 3 raiding story)
    -Brevane/Dusken map (except Dendrome) (Tier 1 raiding story)
    -Dendrome zone (Tier 2-3 raiding story)
    -Plane of Water map (Tier 1-2 raiding story)
    -To Be Continued

-Freemarch/Silverwood/Stonefield/Gloamwood are faction-cenric, so you won't have much story there if you're not of the correct faction.
    -Scarlet Gorge/Scarwood Reach have the factions meet, but they have their own areas/halves of the zones.
    -Moonshade Highlands/Droughtlands/Iron Pine Peak/Shimmersand/Stillmoor have the factions meet together but still with some faction hubs. Also by this point there may be some higher level or later added content, like the Air Saga being integrated into early leveling and the Runic Something (forget its name) in Moonshade being added much later on and adjusting to your level.
    -Ember Isle was added post-launch and acted as endgame zone content in Classic Rift.

-Brevane and Dusken both go from Lv 50-60 and have essentially parallel storylines. Cape Jule goes to Ashora, and Kingdom of Pelladane goes to Steppes of Infinity. Things are much more, but not 100% faction neutral.
    -Dendrome was added post-expansion-launch and acted as an endgame zone content in Storm Legion. Essentially faction neutral.

-Plane of Water has the largest zones but the zone progression is the most linear in the game, through 3 zones. Completely faction neutral.
    -We have received the 'Tyrant's Throne' zone but it is minimal so I don't count it except as an an endgame questline.
    -We may get 2-3 more zones by the end of the expansion. Planetouched Wilds may be added to Mathosia (but high level). Mykyr (or however you spell it) Depths seems to be a big thing happening at some point. And I thought there was something that hinted another zone but I dunno. This is all part of Rift's newer staggered release schedule IMO - release more zones/story content over time, instead of several month gaps of nothing (then buying an expansion, WoW-style)

Just wanted to get that all out so you know the gist of how things progress - that you may want to wrap up most of Mathosia before you move on, if story coherency if your thing. This doesn't mean doing the big raids, but you can still do a lot of stuff other than that.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 04-17-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    [I]"I'm not interested in raiding or dungeons and I don't care about having the best gear. What I do care about are dimensions/dimension items
    One thing I would add is if you like collecting dimension items, another way to get items is fishing. From time to time you will fish up dimension items. It's kind of boring. I often do it while I'm watching a video or movie on my other monitor. You will collect things along the way, and you can sell the fish you catch and use that coin to buy other dimension items in the AH.

As far as the storyline is concerned. I love to quest. I try to go through and complete all the stories / quests in each zone. You will notice as you go along, that they have zones that are close together in level, so by the time you finish one zone, you are too high for quests in the other. The great thing about rift is, all you have to do is right click your profile icon in the game, and choose "Set Mentor Level" and you can lower your level to the level of the quests you are working on and you will still gain great experience.
    Last edited by ArcticGypsy; 04-19-2015 at 06:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread