+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SmidgePlays
  • 3 Post By Jonus
  • 1 Post By Primalthirst

Thread: WHy the hell are Potions so freaking useless??

Soulwalker

Default WHy the hell are Potions so freaking useless??

A 3 minute cooldown? Really why even have potions with that kind of time limit. Use an attack potion and you cant use a healing or warding potion for THREE freaking minutes??? At least put a cooldown for different types of potions. As it is, WTF would you even put any of the non-healing potions in your bags???

RIFT Guide Writer

Because good solo builds rarely need a to use healing potions at all.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Sword of Telara

I was well into my 2nd level 60 before I even noticed that there were healing potions over level 40

Soulwalker

Default that was my point

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    I was well into my 2nd level 60 before I even noticed that there were healing potions over level 40
    so potions were useless, Isnt that the point i was making?

Champion of Telara

I'll use the healing ones in pvp, and I would always have some keybound when I raided just in case, but it's a long time since I used a mana pot. I used to use the spellstrike pots, particularly in HK, but that was many moons ago also
    Last edited by SmidgePlays; 02-06-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Smidge
    Wolfsbane

Potions are very useful. Just make sure you understand which ones have shared CDs. And know when to use them.

------------
    Which Attack Potion is sharing a cooldown with your Healing/Warding Potions?
    ------------

The Stellar Healing Potion is used quite a bit by PvPers. It's also useful in Raids.
    The Stellar Mana Potion is used quite a bit by Cleric healers in PvP. Also useful in Raids.

The Healing Potions share a CD with Renewing Seed consumables, Stellar Warding Potions and AoE healing pots.
    Stellar Warding Potions are quite useful on fights like Regulos depending on your raid's strategy and gear. Can help your raid survive against Crash of Souls during periods when you've got 3+ Eyes of Regulos still up.

AoE Healing Philters are invaluable on progression raiding encounters. I see it used often on X-1 Breaker in the Infinity Gate Tier 2 Raid for the groups on Cores.

The Mana Potions share a CD with Elder Tablets, which also regen some mana. Invaluable in PvP and can help in Raids.

Other than the above:
    You can only have 1 Assault Serum and 1 Fortification Serum up at a time. Some potions combine the two.

I.e. Single Stat +WIS, +STR, +DEX, +INT/etc pots are Assault Serums.
    +END, +Armor pots are Fortification Serums.

The multi-Stat potions are both counted as an Assault and Fortification Serum.

Critical Spellstrikes/Physical Strikes Pots can boost DPS, especially during a well-coordinated Raid buff CD block. They share a CD with Soul Crystals.

The CD length isn't an issue. Rift has chosen not to go for a 'whoever-can-farm-enough-and-spam-their-pots-fast-enough' play-style. You will rely on your class' abilities more than pots, but still use the pots on occasion to complement.
    Last edited by Jonus; 02-06-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Health Pots are critical in raid situations for when you get separated from the raid or when the healers are struggling such as if some of them are dead. Crit pots are a large DPS gain is properly coordinated with cooldowns and raid buffs, don't underestimate them.
    Nope.

Yes pots do have uses, and, there are situations where you need them. I carry a few, never use them open world solo or PvP (the later is my choice. I am old school on that and see potting in PvP as cheating for lack of skill so, I choose not to do it.) I will use them for raids and other PvE groups if the healer is struggling or, I get separated too far for the healer to help me. I also use the drinks, more than pots. Those can only be used out of combat and are handy if you survive a fight, but barely and, want to heal fast and not wait for natural regen to heal you.

Mana pots, useless on my DPS mages, never need them. I don't play healers, no good at it but, I know they do need mana pots in groups at times. I sell the ones I get cheap on AH or, give them to the healer in my group if I PUG. (have a guild of one so, if I group, I have to PUG)

Other pots, never use them, there are other buffs, patron abilities and such I use instead of those other combat pots.

Rift Master

Have to say im GLAD this game isn't potion dependent at all. SURE the option to use one is there but it cant really be abused; buy 1000 potions KILL ANYTHING no fear of death.

NOBODY can expect you to rely on a potion in this game; running a dungeon "Hey use your potions that's what they are their for"

They aren't useless but they aren't OP/over relied on either.

+ Reply to Thread