+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Trying Rift for the first time soon

Soulwalker

Default Trying Rift for the first time soon

I used to play MMOs every day, for years. Then, I moved to where there was no high speed internet available, and spent 4 years without MMOs. Now, I'm moving back to Portland, and am going to try out Rift.

I love playing a pure healer. I played a Cleric in EQ1. I played a holy Paladin in WoW. I played a Defiler in EQ2.

The EQ1 Cleric had an enormous mana pool. I played during the Planes of Power time frame, and did the Cleric Complete Heal rotation. That was awesome to be part of such an epic game.

The holy Paladin in WoW was less enjoyable. I disliked the dramatic and immature player base, and McDonalds feel of the game, where my character felt like a prepackaged combo meal that I was trying to enjoy while surrounded by children.

My favorite was the Defiler. The innovative approach to healing was terrific. The way they are played is by using "wards" to prevent damage, and having weaker and more costly direct heals. I felt like there was more to healing than just filling up bars.

So, based on that, what kind of character should I play in Rift... or should I not bother with Rift once I move?

Your two choices, at the moment, are Mage and Cleric. The Mage has one Healing soul, Chloromancer, which does most of it's healing as a side effect of dealing damage. There are also straight up Healing abilities, but the primary method is using "Veils" also heal your allies. So if you want more than to "fill up bars", Chloromancer Mage is a good start.

Clerics, however, have more Healing options in that they have 4 Healing souls: Sentinel, Purifier, Warden and Defiler. Sentinel is your standard, reactive healer. If someone's health drops, you have abilities to refill those bars. Usually, the most effective heals have the longest cast time, though there are ways around that.

Purifier is a preventive Healer, with it's strength in Absorbs and Shields that will mitigate some/most damage that comes in after. They also have some standard Heals in case of bursts that overpower the shields.

Warden is an AoE Healer that is good at keeping up large groups of players, though it is decidedly lacking when it comes to Single Target/Tank healing.

Defiler is the newest Cleric soul that comes with the Storm Legion expansion. It does most of it's damage mitigatio through the use of "Links", which redirect damage to the Healer, which in turn has abilities to absorb that damage.

So while Chloromancer is a very different type of Healer, Clerics have a far wider array of options to choose from. And with being able to have up to 20 different Role slots/builds, you can have a wide number of healing builds at your fingertips.

Welcome to Rift and Telara, and good luck
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

Soulwalker

Ah, thanks very much. Very helpful. I look forward to keeping you alive.

Phelim gave you the run down already (the awesome person he is). Based on your play style I think the Defiler would be the best ticket for you but you would need to invest in the expansion (can pick up at Gamestop for ~$20) or purchase the expansion souls for ~$30.

When you get into the game please feel free to roll a character on Wolfsbane and become part of the community. Whisper me in game if you need a hand. uruketo@wolfsbane
    Uruketo, 70 Warrior
    <Grievance> Guild Leader
    Defiant - Wolfsbane
    http://www.grievancegaming.org/

Ascendant

Welcome to Rift!

Welcome to Rift.

Swing by my youtube for a beginner's guide to Rift and also Mage healing (mostly mage stuff in general) might be of some use to you to get a flavour of whats going on. I'm sure I have some dungeon healing vids too if that your preferance
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

7.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #7

In my MMO life I have always played tanks. With RIFT, I have been able to enjoy every possible role. After you get into the game for a while, try experimenting with a character you would not ordinarily pick.

It's rewarding to have to learn a new way to do things.

One of the great things about Rift is that you're not tied to one role once you pick a class. As a Mage you can be both an awesome healer and a major damage dealer with just a click of a button!

+ Reply to Thread