+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Information for noob?

Soulwalker

Default Information for noob?

Now that my stepbrother's friend finished our gaming desktop, I wanted to play a new game. Before deciding to play Rift, I was playing LoL with proficiency. I thought of Rift because I like MMORPGs and I heard it was not Pay to Win (except for like $5 for the AH, correct?). I'm hoping can handle the mechanics of Rift if i can play LoL. Before I started playing though, I wanted to know what the community believes is the better class to start off with, or guides I could read (love reading) for individual specs and stuff. Is there a site like Solomid where people can posts guides?

Sorry for the long read and thank you for your help!

PS I haven't yet viewed any YouTube videos yet but after posting I will get right to it.
    Last edited by Mr Ratchet; 01-15-2014 at 05:05 PM.

I got one of each and have raided tier 2 with all and pvp'ed quite high with all and from my experience I'd say your best of with a cleric as first pick, it can fill all roles and do it without much trubble.

If your looking for guides I suggest: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc.../class-guides/

You can also read more about the classes here: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...lasses-telara/
    17/17 T1, 4/4 T1HM, 4/4 GA, 3/3 IG, 5/5 PB

Ascendant

Welcome to the game - or maybe i guess ....

Whatever class you like best is the one to play. Cleric is the only one that can fulfill all roles at the moment, but in 3.0 that changes so every class can do healing/tanking/dps/support....

Do you want to tank/heal, or dps, or support .... do you want to be mostly ranged or melee .... if you want to raid at end game level you'll always end up playing more/different roles anyway, and even for 5 men content that usually is the case as well

As for information, there's loads to find here in these forums and there's also quite a few sites that you can find guides / specs on (a regular search will turn up quite a few)

Soulwalker

I like both melee and ranged play styles so either is fine.
    How are the controls for the game? Is it a lot of button mashing? And does Rift work with Windows 8? I looked at the system specs but it didn't list Windows 8...

Soulwalker

I would like to mostly PvE.

Welcome to Rift and Telara! If you want to Range and Melee DPS, I would suggest a Rogue. That won't require any Storm Legion souls to make the most of the class. Cleric would be second, but I'd like to point out that the Cleric will probably have far more end-game utility/desirability, since Clerics can Tank, Heal and DPS.

However, with all that said, it only takes perhaps an hour, maybe two, to get a character to level 20, so I recommend making one of each and seeing which one you enjoy the most. Plus, with all the various build options for each class (there are 10 souls to choose from, and you can have 3 souls per build) really deserves spending time messing around with multiple builds. At least, I think so. That's one of my favorite parts of Rift: coming up with silly and, more often than not, terrible builds :P

Whatever it is you decide, be sure to let us know what server/ shard you choose, and what your toon name will be. If folks are on the same shard, some might like to welcome you to the shard and offer any help you might need. If you choose Faeblight (the Role Play shard, but most folks don't RP, they simply respect the rights of RPers), please give me a holler. I have lots of "Welcome to Rift" stuff I like to give out to new players.

PS - Rift works with Windows 8, and the amount of "button mashing" you'll need to do really depends upon the build you choose. Most classes usually have a low maintenance build or two that doesn't require tons of keys (though they will require macros, which are not a big deal, so don't worry ). If you went cleric, there's a "Holy Fire" build that's on the forums that I think is awesome, and very easy. If you go Rogue, look for a Rogue guide called "Granpa's Gonna Knock You Out" or some such.

Again, welcome to Rift and Telara! Be sure to ask questions if you get stuck. Plenty of people around here will do their best to answer, or point you in the right direction.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

PvE Melee and ranged, I'd suggest a cleric damage role to start and, if you decide to purchase the Storm Legion Souls, a harbinger mage. Both of those do a little of both.

Soulwalker

Wow the Rift community is so welcoming . As far as Storm Legion goes, I do plan on getting it within the first few months I begin playing. When are the population "high" times? I live on the east coast of the US so will that be a problem? Thank you guys for the amazing advice!

EDIT: While looking around at the guides, I noticed many of them saying "61(insert job)". That's like the skill tree like similar to the masteries page in LoL? How would I know where to put the 61 points or will it be fairly obvious once I see the layout of the tree?
    Last edited by Mr Ratchet; 01-16-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Shadowlander

61 points is a full spec into a single soul

You get 76 points total at level 60, each tree takes 61 to fill, leaving you 15 for your second or third soul.

Each soul has 2 parts, the tree, and the base level skills. The base level skills you get automatically by putting points into the tree. So as you put 4,8,12,16....points into the upper part it unlocks the base abilities.

The upper part of the tree, where you actually spend your points, is up to you. Just know that if you put 61 points into it, you getting every ability. Each tier requires 5 points to move to the next tier. 41 points needed to get the absolute top ability in the tree, leaving another 20 points left unspent. But you need to spend all 61 points to get, say the lvl 61 base ability.

Hope that helps.

If you really like combing through information, look up a rift soul builder and you can build your own soul they way you want, search all the abilities, find what abilities and buffs work together.

You can also download an addon like simple meter which records your healing or DPS and then you can test different specs against a training dummy to find which one is truely the best.

You also can buy multiple roles, and have several different pre arranged specs that you can switch to depending on the content or the group your playing with.

I am in the same time zone as you (EST) and rarely have trouble finding people online. However, between levels 20-50, population is scarce because Rift is an established game with the vast majority of players at max level engaging in max level content.

So, as long as you choose one of the North American shards/servers, you should find others on with you in the zones you're leveling in.

Welcome to Rift and Telara, and good luck
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

Soulwalker

Thanks for the skill tree explanatoion. Makes sense now. After looking around the forums, I decided to make my first character a druidicar. How do they fare solo in dungeons and other aspects if the game? I always love playing druid characters like in Diablo 2 and 3.

+ Reply to Thread