+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Suggest a Dynamic Build

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default Suggest a Dynamic Build

    So I'm looking for a ranged dps build that never stops moving. No inductions, good dps, possibly some self-healing ability or a tanking pet to keep them away. This could be an archer or a mage, I don't care as long as fights are quick.

    I come from lotro where I played a minstrel. The thing to know about a mini is they have very good dps combined with self-healing buffs and no inductions. I never stopped moving forward and I massacred everything in the way. Very dynamic playstyle and quick levelling.

    What I really don't like is having to run up to enemies and get into a long melee fight with them or if I'm a ranged dps I don't wanna have to shoot a dozen arrows to kill a mob. I hate a lame skill that has to be fired off 5 times just to build up some attack points othewise doing ridiculous damage and then there is an induction finisher that's also quite disappointing for requiring 6 clicks to use (see tactician).

    Thanks, in advance, for the suggestions.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vacalpotan View Post
    So I'm looking for a ranged dps build that never stops moving. No inductions, good dps, possibly some self-healing ability or a tanking pet to keep them away. This could be an archer or a mage, I don't care as long as fights are quick.

    I come from lotro where I played a minstrel. The thing to know about a mini is they have very good dps combined with self-healing buffs and no inductions. I never stopped moving forward and I massacred everything in the way. Very dynamic playstyle and quick levelling.

    What I really don't like is having to run up to enemies and get into a long melee fight with them or if I'm a ranged dps I don't wanna have to shoot a dozen arrows to kill a mob. I hate a lame skill that has to be fired off 5 times just to build up some attack points othewise doing ridiculous damage and then there is an induction finisher that's also quite disappointing for requiring 6 clicks to use (see tactician).

    Thanks, in advance, for the suggestions.
    If you want something with absolutely no cast times then I would suggest Ranger. They have some casted abilities that get their cast times removed at higher levels and they get a pet as well.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

  3. #3
    Plane Walker Bonzodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    If you want something with absolutely no cast times then I would suggest Ranger. They have some casted abilities that get their cast times removed at higher levels and they get a pet as well.
    Yes, but its still a 6 click with builder x 5 & finisher, and some mobs in the SL zones can take 25-30 hits to kill. He could macro them in so he only hits the buttons once, but one hit kills simply dont happen on same level mobs. The pets for a ranger in PvE are generally either the razorbeast to tank and pin to maintain the range, or the dino pet to do single mob damage - mind you, it wont pin the mob, which means it runs at you, and you get the hits from the mob rather than the pet. However, the dino does a decent amount of damage.

    There is the wolf pet, but its best used in PvP.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Yes, but its still a 6 click with builder x 5 & finisher, and some mobs in the SL zones can take 25-30 hits to kill. He could macro them in so he only hits the buttons once, but one hit kills simply dont happen on same level mobs. The pets for a ranger in PvE are generally either the razorbeast to tank and pin to maintain the range, or the dino pet to do single mob damage - mind you, it wont pin the mob, which means it runs at you, and you get the hits from the mob rather than the pet. However, the dino does a decent amount of damage.

    There is the wolf pet, but its best used in PvP.
    If it takes you that many hits to kill something you're doing something fundamentally wrong.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Bonzodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Ok, I realised I need to add to it, but the edit lock got me.

    I think OP's expectations are unrealistic for a rogue build - You either melee or go ranged. Both builds will require you to stand and fight unless you fight mobs at least 15 levels below you. Rift is an MMO that simply does not allow for facerolling mobs at higher levels.

    In the low levels, with the purchased ascended equipment, you can faceroll pretty much all of freemarch, two-three hits per mob, and move fast. The levels get increasingly harder as you move through the zones, and fighting actual rift mobs can be one hell of a fight when they have 4-6 times the amount of HP you have. And then theres the elite mobs, which cannot always be soloed and can be a long fight.

    I would recommend he tries a cleric build, they can own on DPS, but are a bit of a learning curve. They have ranged spell openers, with melee hits to finish. They also have some amazing healing souls for effective group work.

  6. #6
    Plane Walker Bonzodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    If it takes you that many hits to kill something you're doing something fundamentally wrong.
    Rangers typically score on the low end of DPS, my 52 is still only pulling 1.1K DPS, on 22500HP mobs. I can crit for 6.6K, with the builders scoring between 1.5K and 2.5K. Drop 5 of those in for half the kill, and then run the finisher to reduce mob to 8K. Then, 5 more builders to actually finish the kill. So 11 hits per mob. The build I use is a custom one with all the points in ranger focused on pet armor and tank abilities, then remaining points in marks for scoring the damage from range.
    Last edited by Bonzodog; 01-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Rangers typically score on the low end of DPS, my 52 is still only pulling 1.1K DPS, on 22500HP mobs. I can crit for 6.6K, with the builders scoring between 1.5K and 2.5K. Drop 5 of those in for half the kill, and then run the finisher to reduce mob to 8K. Then, 5 more builders to actually finish the kill. So 11 hits per mob. The build I use is a custom one with all the points in ranger focused on pet armor and tank abilities, then remaining points in marks for scoring the damage from range.
    Ranger is not "low" DPS. It's our best ranged spec and is very competitive with the ranged specs of the other callings.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Having tried a bunch of different setups, I realize my expextations are probably too high. I guess I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong and hence the relatively low dps.

    In lotro, you can faceroll through the game, which is not necessarily good. I think I just want to know if I can have a ranged build that facerolls through regular mobs (not everything) with like 6 clicks a kill.

    To be more specific, can I, for instance, take the bard, whose playstyle I pretty much love, and power it up with a secondary soul so that it becomes the dps build I'm looking for without slowing it down through inductions?

    Thanks for the answers. You kinda confirmed my suspition that I should just slow down, give up on the idea of facerolling and roll a saboteur, whose playstyle, although fundamentally different, I might as well find myself equally enjoying.
    Last edited by vacalpotan; 01-10-2014 at 11:25 PM.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vacalpotan View Post
    To be more specific, can I, for instance, take the bard, whose playstyle I pretty much love, and power it up with a secondary soul so that it becomes the dps build I'm looking for without slowing it down through inductions?
    The short answer is "no". Bard is not a DPS soul and nothing you ever do to it will make it one.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts