+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pkudude

Thread: New to Rift, could use some help please =)

Soulwalker

Default New to Rift, could use some help please =)

Hey all!

I am new to rift and I have no idea what I'm doing! I assume I will figure out the skill points eventually, but it would be nice to have a good base to start with. I normally play rogue classes because I like DPS, but all the different souls are a bit intimidating. I would be open to trying something other than a rogue. What do you all think is good for leveling as DPS?

Any other tips/help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

I hate generic responses as much as anyone, but all the classes do very well leveling. It really comes down to what's the most fun for you. Rift's classes all have wide build options, of which you may have up to 20 per character, so chances are you're going to enjoy at least a couple of different builds for each class, were you to try them.

If you like Rogues, then try the Rogue. They are good at melee and ranged DPS, and the new Tactician soul is very good as you go around flame throwing away groups of mobs. It has plenty of PVP options, and the Bard (support/healing support) is a a lot of fun to play for many folks when a zone event boss pops up.

Try the Rogue, but don't be afraid to try the others as well. They're a lot of fun too.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

Soulwalker

Here was the most useful link I found while trying to figure out what I wanted to play:

http://www.carlsguides.com/rift/

This guy goes into what the play-style is like for every soul without getting into too much detail on specific spells and abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhalat View Post
    Hey all!

I am new to rift and I have no idea what I'm doing! I assume I will figure out the skill points eventually, but it would be nice to have a good base to start with. I normally play rogue classes because I like DPS, but all the different souls are a bit intimidating. I would be open to trying something other than a rogue. What do you all think is good for leveling as DPS?

Any other tips/help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Rogues have 9 available souls, which break out like this:

Riftstalker: Tank

Bard: Support
    Tactician: Support

Marksman: Ranged magic DPS
    Ranger: Ranged physical DPS and pet
    Saboteur: Ranged AE dps

Nightblade: Melee DPS, magical. Limited medium range powers
    Assassin: Melee DPS, physical, plus poisons. Single-target orientation
    Bladedancer: Melee DPS, physical, good ST, but high AE orientation.

For soloing, generally you want to take 4 points in Tactician for the Curative Engine, and 8 points in Riftstalker for the Boosted Recovery. This will give you your survivability. After this, pick any dps soul as your main. Nightblade tends to be preferred since it's got a good mix of melee, ranged, single-target, and AE attacks, but you can really do whatever you want -- they all work.

There are other schools of thought as well -- the "Martian" (Marksman/Tactician) hybrid is well liked, the bard can actually bring the pain, and Ranger/Marksman hybrids using the tanking pig pet do pretty well so long as they don't get more than 1-2 mobs at a time, so...... with tons of roles you can swap between and cheap respecs within roles, you can play around until you find what you like. Or you can hit the Rogue guides section of the forums here too. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pkudude View Post
    tanking pig
    Hey, don't call my Barbara a pig!

_ _

The Marksman is ranged physical too (so, don't pick Bard or Tact 5 pointers for non-phys damage with Marksman). I know some people think me killing them in Marksman is magic, but really it's not!

Marksman also have one of the best purges and silence/interrupts too, if you want that.

+ Reply to Thread