+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How is the base-damage for abilities calculated?

Soulwalker

Default How is the base-damage for abilities calculated?

I'm playing a level 27 assassin/riftstalker and after having some issues with survivability and low dps in PVP I've started looking for ways to customize my soul trees (I currently use the shadow stalker calling). What I immediately noticed after checking out a few different builds was that the damage shown for abilities on soul tree calculators is much higher than the damage that I see for my own character's abilities. For example, on Rifthead it says that puncture does 195 to 216 damage, yet I'm level 27 and my puncture only does 35 to ~40 damage.

I assume that you're level and gear has a lot to do with how damage is calculated for abilities, but I can't be sure and I haven't found any information on the internet regarding this. What else might be contributing to my apparently low ability damage? Am I right on track and just need to continue leveling and gearing up or am I missing something critical? Thanks for any help and sorry for the probably very stupid question. I'm new to MMO's like this and never played WOW.

Rift Chaser

As I understand it, Rifthead calculates damage as if you where at level 60 without any equipment, buffs or Planar Attunement.
    Patron passes loyalty <-- Explanation
    Errors 3145 (or this if it doesn't work.), 2016 (Kapersky Anti-virus) and 1016.
    Most errors on the patcher can be corrected by logging as Guest and/or restarting your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    I'm sorry to ruin any conspiracy theories though

Abilities do have skill ranks which are unlocked by your character's true level. However, training happens automatically now so you have not noticed that at about level 6 Power A went from Rank 1 and the tooltip saying 250-500 damage to Rank 2 and the tooltip saying 350-600 damage; and so on. Your stats (personal, gear, plus buffs and talents) further alter them.

Soulwalker

Oh ok so actually using the skills makes them stronger? Interesting. I had never heard that.
    Last edited by Dedrick Rahl; 07-19-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedrick Rahl View Post
    Oh ok so actually using the skills makes them stronger? Interesting. I had never heard that.
    I don't think that's what their saying.

You misunderstood the post responding to you. Abilities have "ranks", which improve the base damage, healing, etc. for those abilities as your character levels from 1-60.

The based abilities figures are then modified by your gear, potions, food, etc., that boost certain attributes. For a Rogue they are:

Dexterity: increases your Attack Power by 0.75 points per Dexterity point
    Attack Power: increase the damage of all abilities on player's Attack Power (some formula that currently escapes my reckoning)
    Physical Critical Hit (sometimes mislabeled as "Melee Crit"): Increases the chance to Critically Hit
    Crit Power: Increases the amount your critical hits will hit for
    Strength: increases your Attack Power by 0.25 points per Strength point.

Food, potions, scrolls, etc. can increase any of these attributes temporarily as well.

All of these modifications to your base damage are reflected in your tooltip. That is, if it says 50-60 damage, it was probably something like 20-30 and then the game factored in all of the above.
    Last edited by Phelim on the Moor; 07-19-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

On another point leveling raises the ranks of your abilities automatically. For example, the ability you get at level one (savage strike) will be much stronger once you reach level 60 and are using that same ability. Unfortunately, some of the websites with soul tree calculators do not show the damage correctly as you level up - as posted above, they assume that you are level 60 with 76 total points to spend.

You should depend on what your ingame tooltips show what your damage should be and even those can be affected by a mob's defense/resistance/avoidance.
    Children's Miracle Network 24 hour gaming marathon - Extra Life - join Trion Worlds team and have fun with us
    Please use my Ascend-A-Friend link: https://rift.trionworlds.com/account...=ascend_invite

Soulwalker

Great thank you everybody for clearing this up for me! I don't know where I would have found this information anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedrick Rahl View Post
    Great thank you everybody for clearing this up for me! I don't know where I would have found this information anywhere else.
    Rift has always been very forums-focused. The answers are somewhere here, and if you can't find them, someone will show you where they are, or answer you directly

Our third-party website support isn't the greatest, but luckily the community is :P
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

+ Reply to Thread