+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree6Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: how do I use my guest character

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default how do I use my guest character

    Hi, I apologize if this is really obvious but I just started playing 'as guest' and made a character and did a couple quests so I decided to register. When I log on with my account I have no option to use my existing character. Do I have to make a new one? thanks.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker Beriahim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default Transfer of guest character to newly registered account.

    Quote Originally Posted by iameatingjam View Post
    Hi, I apologize if this is really obvious but I just started playing 'as guest' and made a character and did a couple quests so I decided to register. When I log on with my account I have no option to use my existing character. Do I have to make a new one? thanks.
    I'd like to add my name to this. I got through character creation, did a couple of quests and decided to register. Can we transfer our guest characters to our registered account? Thanks for any help. Rolling another toon is easy but I want to keep the name I used for my guest character. (If I had known I would have just registered from the beginning). Any help greatly appreciated.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default Transfer guest character to new account?

    I'd like to do the same: transfer my "guest" character to my account. Otherwise I have to start all over again!

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hi guys, I have exactly the same question ... + 1

  5. #5
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    83

    Default

    dId you hit lvl 10 with your Guest Character and get prompt with you now must make an account? if so i suggest you direct this fourm to Tech Support fourms if not that is the reason
    you have to be prompt in game to create a account thats what i did.
    also you can just get to lvl 10 fast too :P
    Last edited by Aelivtathus; 06-17-2013 at 04:01 PM.

  6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Community Team CM Morgana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,061

    Default

    Below your minimap should be an icon that has a little pen/paper -- if you register through this UI, you'll be able to bring your old character to your newly registered account!
    CM Morgana ~ Community Coordinator ~
    Avatar art is courtesy of Allie Brosh!

  7. #7
    Soulwalker Beriahim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    Below your minimap should be an icon that has a little pen/paper -- if you register through this UI, you'll be able to bring your old character to your newly registered account!
    Hi Morgana - thanks for your reply. I'm afraid your suggestion doesn't work if the account has already been registered.
    Results below as pictured:

    MINIMAP
    http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/or...5d520a0469.jpg
    DIALOGUE BOX
    http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/or...3bb24c8f14.jpg
    ERROR MESSAGE
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...53116aef42.jpg

    Edit: It's not very clear in the last pic but the error message says:
    The email address supplied is already in use by another account. Please chose a different valid email address.
    (and yes... it says 'chose', not 'choose' )
    Last edited by Beriahim; 06-17-2013 at 04:25 PM.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Phelim on the Moor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beriahim View Post
    Hi Morgana - thanks for your reply. I'm afraid your suggestion doesn't work if the account has already been registered.
    Results below as pictured:

    MINIMAP
    http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/or...5d520a0469.jpg
    DIALOGUE BOX
    http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/or...3bb24c8f14.jpg
    ERROR MESSAGE
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...53116aef42.jpg

    Edit: It's not very clear in the last pic but the error message says:
    The email address supplied is already in use by another account. Please chose a different valid email address.
    (and yes... it says 'chose', not 'choose' )
    Thanks for posting that. We've had many folks come through the Newcomers forum who have had the very same experience, and the only thing we've been able to suggest is to make a new toon, and submit a Customer Service ticket. Hopefully Morgana returns to this thread, sees that this is an ongoing problem and looks into it.

    Loads of folks have had this same problem, Morgana. Hopefully you guys can look into it.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

  9. #9
    Soulwalker Beriahim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phelim on the Moor View Post
    Thanks for posting that. We've had many folks come through the Newcomers forum who have had the very same experience, and the only thing we've been able to suggest is to make a new toon, and submit a Customer Service ticket. Hopefully Morgana returns to this thread, sees that this is an ongoing problem and looks into it.

    Loads of folks have had this same problem, Morgana. Hopefully you guys can look into it.
    Thanks Phelim. And I totally understand if they can't do anything else for now and don't mind rolling another toon. I wonder if I delete the character and roll another toon if I can reuse the name... If they can even confirm workarounds like that, it would be great. Customer service ticket raised 4 days ago with no word so I'm guessing they're holding off on a response until they've sorted something out... /pray lol

  10. #10
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beriahim View Post
    Thanks Phelim. And I totally understand if they can't do anything else for now and don't mind rolling another toon. I wonder if I delete the character and roll another toon if I can reuse the name... If they can even confirm workarounds like that, it would be great. Customer service ticket raised 4 days ago with no word so I'm guessing they're holding off on a response until they've sorted something out... /pray lol
    If you delete the character the name will immediately become available again.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

  11. #11
    Ascendant Phelim on the Moor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    I just did the whole guest thing, played a bit, made an account using the letter below the minimap, logged out, relaunched Rift and... the character I made was there

    I wonder what's happening with folks. Because it seems to be working for me.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

  12. #12
    Soulwalker Beriahim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phelim on the Moor View Post
    I just did the whole guest thing, played a bit, made an account using the letter below the minimap, logged out, relaunched Rift and... the character I made was there

    I wonder what's happening with folks. Because it seems to be working for me.
    Hi Phelim.

    There's some confusion here. To clarify:
    Create guest character >> Play game >> create account in-game >> no problem.

    Create guest character >> Play game >> create account outside of game >> unable to connect guest character to created account.
    In my case, once I knew I wanted to register (around level 4), I looked for the in-game registration but couldn't find it so I registered in the browser hoping that the prompt at level 9 would allow me to sign in and attach the character that way.

    In terms of feedback, may I suggest to the good folks at rift development that it may prove more intuitive to make the "register now" prompt more prominent from level 1 and/or include the registration link at the account settings and maybe even the store. (I checked all those places in-game before I registered in the browser).

    Enjoying the game lots so far. I'll report back once I can confirm that the character name became again available after deletion.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Phelim on the Moor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beriahim View Post
    Hi Phelim.

    There's some confusion here. To clarify:
    Create guest character >> Play game >> create account in-game >> no problem.

    Create guest character >> Play game >> create account outside of game >> unable to connect guest character to created account.
    In my case, once I knew I wanted to register (around level 4), I looked for the in-game registration but couldn't find it so I registered in the browser hoping that the prompt at level 9 would allow me to sign in and attach the character that way.

    In terms of feedback, may I suggest to the good folks at rift development that it may prove more intuitive to make the "register now" prompt more prominent from level 1 and/or include the registration link at the account settings and maybe even the store. (I checked all those places in-game before I registered in the browser).

    Enjoying the game lots so far. I'll report back once I can confirm that the character name became again available after deletion.
    Ahhh. I did not realize that was what happened.

    Well, if that's whats been happening lately, then the only thing the Rift team has to do is try to be clearer when folks log in as a guest. Put a big box in explaining that you have to register using the in-game registration if you want the toon linked.

    Customer Service probably shouldn't be pulled off other issues to link guest accounts to registered accounts if folks went about it the wrong way. Yes, it could be clearer, I guess, but it seemed pretty easy to follow when I tried.

    I almost think they should just eliminate the Guest option if it's going to cause this many problems, and require that folks register first. After all, you have a lot of time to register an account if you're downloading the game anyway. It's not like this is a browser game or something.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

  14. #14
    Soulwalker Beriahim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phelim on the Moor View Post
    Ahhh. I did not realize that was what happened.

    Well, if that's whats been happening lately, then the only thing the Rift team has to do is try to be clearer when folks log in as a guest. Put a big box in explaining that you have to register using the in-game registration if you want the toon linked.

    Customer Service probably shouldn't be pulled off other issues to link guest accounts to registered accounts if folks went about it the wrong way. Yes, it could be clearer, I guess, but it seemed pretty easy to follow when I tried.

    I almost think they should just eliminate the Guest option if it's going to cause this many problems, and require that folks register first. After all, you have a lot of time to register an account if you're downloading the game anyway. It's not like this is a browser game or something.
    Thanks again for your responses Phelim.
    I agree that it should be made clearer when folks log in as a guest. I have to say, however, that it's this lack of clarity that is leading people to go about it the 'wrong way' as you put it. May I also point out that while you may have found it 'pretty easy to follow when (you) tried', this was only after Morgana had clarified the function of the notepad button at the map. Your experience is therefore not a full and accurate duplication of other players experience - especially those that are new to the game. (Assumedly the target audience for such a feature).

    I also agree with you when you posit that it might almost be better to remove the guest option entirely. I certainly would rather have registered from the start. However, I think the guest login is a very smart move on the developers part and, with some fine tuning, will have the exact effect as intended; to remove barriers to engagement with the game.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker Beriahim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    If you delete the character the name will immediately become available again.
    Thank you very much Crithappens. I have successfully deleted and created a new character with the same name and can therefore confirm that the advice given is true and correct.
    Last edited by Beriahim; 06-17-2013 at 08:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts