+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mouse look lock

Soulwalker

Default Mouse look lock

I've been searching and so far I've not found a definite answer. Is there an option to lock the mouse look? I've always played games like this and it's a much less clumsier set up to avoid standing in stuff when you can play the game like a 3rd person action game instead of an mmo.

TSW didn't have one so I wrote a .ahk for it. And it looks like the use of an .ahk will get you banned here. So.. any other options?!

::EDIT - Previously misread::

No, there's no way to do this in Rift to my knowledge.
    Last edited by Crithappens; 05-21-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

didn't TSW include that in one of the recent patches?

after playing NW, a toggle would here would be nice indeed (haven't looked over the options yet tho, might be already included)

Soulwalker

They in fact did. The problem with their toggled mouse look however is that it will change your target when you mouse over an object, NPC, mob, or player. They can't change it due to their platform.

It's a shame that I can't lock the mouse look. Hopefully logitech will add that option to the LGS in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJWalk View Post
    They in fact did. The problem with their toggled mouse look however is that it will change your target when you mouse over an object, NPC, mob, or player. They can't change it due to their platform.

It's a shame that I can't lock the mouse look. Hopefully logitech will add that option to the LGS in the next update.
    they might include it as well, it should not be that hard to make mouselook a bind in the options and let people unbind right mouse button (don't know if they use windows settings for left-handed mouse users).

@mods could this thread be moved to suggestions maybe?
    Last edited by Gray; 05-22-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Soulwalker

Could an ADD ON be used to make this happen?

My hand hurts after just one day of playing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrJWalk View Post
    I've been searching and so far I've not found a definite answer. Is there an option to lock the mouse look? I've always played games like this and it's a much less clumsier set up to avoid standing in stuff when you can play the game like a 3rd person action game instead of an mmo.

TSW didn't have one so I wrote a .ahk for it. And it looks like the use of an .ahk will get you banned here. So.. any other options?!
    Actually TSW does indeed have a mouse lock, just hit the T key for 'Targeting Mode' You will get an aiming recticle and your mouse will be locked into mouse look mode.

Somewhat recently Star Trek Online has also added a similar mode.

Come have a look at Underlight Chamber (RP) Faeblight, my sprawling Wizard's Tower!

Soulwalker

I know this is an old thread, but I found a solution that worked for me. It was an autohotkey script for TSW so modified it for RIFT. I hope this helps others from having repetitive injuries!

Code starts below this line

; RIFT Mouselook Toggle ver. 0.1a

#NoEnv
    SendMode Input

#IfWinActive RIFT

$RButton::
    If (Toggle := !Toggle)
    Send {RButton Down}
    Else
    Send {RButton up}
    Return

$!RButton::
    if (Toggle)
    {
    Toggle := !Toggle
    }
    Send {RButton}
    Return

~m::
    ~n::
    ~k::
    ~p::
    if (Toggle)
    {
    Toggle := !Toggle
    Send {RButton up}
    }
    Return

#IfWinActive

Quote Originally Posted by psimaster View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I found a solution that worked for me. It was an autohotkey script for TSW so modified it for RIFT. I hope this helps others from having repetitive injuries!
    Just wanted to say, be careful about running AutoHotKey with a lot of MMOs (including Rift). There are some automation bots that use AHK, thus it is likely to trigger ant-cheat flags.

Shadowlander

My hopes are low, but add +1 from me to support the implementation of a client-side mouselock mode toggled by pressing ESC.

Soulwalker

Rift Mouse Look Toggle Script and Addon.

http://fabd.github.io/rift-mouselook-addon/

Yes, it uses Autohotkey (and an ingame Addon to make the Mouse Look more user friendly).

/RANT ON
    No, Autohotkey is not "mass banned". Get your facts straight.

January 2013 Patch clearly stated:

some folks do innocently use keyboard-assistance software while they’re at their computer. We’ve gone out of our way to make sure that differently-abled gamers are able to use the assist software that they need.

Unfortunately, for the next week or two, until the bot situation gets back under control, use of this software may intentionally be randomly unreliable, up to causing random disconnects. We ask that you please refrain from using keyboard automation software in the meanwhile.
    Do a Google search of the forums for Autohotkey. Every single result I could find regarding unwarranted (ie. NOT cheating) ban regarding having Autohotkey running is from around that period in January 2013. All other posts I found were either speculating, or misinterpreting the login error.

Now granted, they said "for the next week or two" and it appears that their crude Autohotkey detection went for a little longer. And they also actually locked people and people had to contact Customer Service rather than just "random disconnecys".

But putting that aside, I don't think today there is any issue with AHK as long as you're not an idiot and don't use it to automate tasks in the game (ie. cheating).

I'm using the script above for several weeks now and have yet to see a problem.
    /RANT OFF

I put some effort in creating a nice Mouse Look implementation that's as integrated in the game as possible. If you know how to code AHK and/or Rift API and want to help improve the script you're more welcome to do so. Please share back any improvements you could make by forking and pushing your changes on Github (I think you can also do simple editing on Github without having to install Git and whatnot) or PM.
    Last edited by Tatchka; 08-09-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Soulwalker

(continued)

I'm 40 years old. I have used computers for as long as I can remember. Photoshop, Php, Javascript, Assembler, C , you name it. I learned programming on Amiga 500 and then PCs... it's my job, my passion, my hobby...

I have better things to do than strain my wrist and hands in regular play sessions holding down a mouse button (that's where the continuous, and unhealthy stress comes from) simply to aim around my character. Further even right clicking is not comfortable as left clicking is, and I find it far more comfortable to press a key than right click everything. Mouse buttons are noisy, keyboard is much nicer to use.

If you're 15 to 30 something, you don't understand. When I was 20 to 30 something the only game I remember that would strain my arms was Diablo II .. But times change.

These days I also often take one hand off the keyboard or mouse when I can, simply to relax. That's why having alternate controls like an Interract Key are so handy. An incredibly simple feature which is also implemented in the script above.

Champion of Telara TheDoomgiver's Avatar

been using an ahk script to do several different things in rift for the last 8 months, havent got banned yet.

Soulwalker

I can't believe there still isn't a mouselook toggle. This was something many people asked for in beta. It's also a big part of the reason I didn't buy the game when it came out. Years later I decide to give it another look, still no toggle. I'm not about to set up scripts and such for a basic feature that should have been included from day one. Maybe I'll check back in another 3 or 4 years.

+ Reply to Thread