+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pkudude

Thread: Did the game get harder and more frustrating with Storm Legion?

Soulwalker

Default Did the game get harder and more frustrating with Storm Legion?

So I just came back after a several months break. I quit in the summer, before Storm Legion came out, and now that I'm back the game is so different that I'm having lots of troubles getting started again. :S

I remember playing Warrior was way easier back then, as most of the fights could be handled with a couple macros and the odd extra button to hit, in case stuff happened.

Now the class mechanics have changed a lot and there's tons of micro managing to do. Take Riftblade for example: now you can't just get away with a few macros to do everything, but a lot of skills have to be used separately, making you waste precious time (and DPS).

I find it a lot frustrating to play like this. :\ I find rotations to be too long, complicated and situational, and it takes away a lot of the "fun" of playing this game.

Anyone else feel like this?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeEndymion View Post

Anyone else feel like this?
    No, I don't.

I find for the most part that the skill changes to make them "un-macroable" don't make too much of a difference. A lot of skills got consolidated or removed, so the number of skills used tends to not be as much.

For me, going solo as a warrior only needs 2 macros if you focus on Champion (builder and finisher) plus your charge and mark. Pretty simple.

Of course, I use a WL/Champ hybrid, so I generally use 4 macros (2 for ST, 2 for AE) and 4 other buttons (shield, mark, 2 charges). Still only 8 buttons most of the time.

In my Tempest RDPS spec I have 3 macros and a couple of situational buttons. I don't play it much so I don't recall exact numbers, but I don't think it's more than 8 buttons there either.

I also have a cleric at 60, a rogue at 60, and a mage at 55, and while certain specs need a lot of buttons, for the most part it's still 8 buttons or less.

TL;DR -- I'm with Ahov -- it seemed complex at 1st to come back, but once I learned how it works now, it generally seems quite simple.

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeEndymion View Post
    I remember playing Warrior was way easier back then, as most of the fights could be handled with a couple macros and the odd extra button to hit, in case stuff happened.
    Exactly! It used to be so dull and now it's so much more fun!

Thank you Trion....we do appreciate you.

Plane Walker

It was their intention to back off from the 1-2 button win specs pre expansion. Honestly I think it's a great change as things are still macroable but you have to manage a few more buttons depending on the spec.

It's more engaging tbh. Frustration happens when you don't pick up on it, I know, but read through a few guides and pick out some macros the have, then read the skills and see how the spec plays. Having an understanding of how skills work help make macro management and skill use much easier.

Telaran

I like those changes very much. They made me return and stay.

A little bit of thinking isn't a bad thing; I understand it can be a little stressful while you're getting accustomed to the new specs. Give yourself some time to get used to your new rotations. Once your new keybinds get locked into your "muscle memory", you'll get comfortable again.

Prophet of Telara

1.0 to 1.2 open world content was much harder.

T1 SL raids are pretty easy as well. SL experts - easier as well.

Warriors have become overly complex tho i do agree. Compared to pre SL and their 2 button mashing.

I'm only lvl 31 Rogue and lvl 25 Cleric, but why on earth should I bother use macros? I manage quite fine without them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
    I'm only lvl 31 Rogue and lvl 25 Cleric, but why on earth should I bother use macros? I manage quite fine without them, thanks.
    Using macros by all means are not a must. But for certain classes, for certain situations, you can gain a bit of DPS macroing few abilities together (shaves a second or 2 here and there from ur rotation. Also saves u a button to click). Once you make it to lvl 60 and attempt raiding, sometimes the extra 100-300 dps u will do can make a difference
    Retired

Rift Disciple

It's easy enough to understand how setting up, managing, and learning all about macro use could seem a little daunting at first, but they really do help. They may not be absolutely necessary but they serve to help with a few things. First, you may be less likely to suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome early on by using macros for some rotations. Second, whether you are healing, tanking or dps..there are abilities/spells that effect over time and others that require constant refreshing. It can make you simply better at your class/role by using macros to ensure these are being used as often as necessary.

Yes, SL shuffled things around a bit, but it isn't that hard to learn the changes and incorporate them effectively. You have to give Trion credit where it's due. They are great at realizing that a game has to remain dynamic in order to stay alive. They are constantly looking at ways to improve things and although that might mean we have to respec occassionally..it continues to improve the game. That said, SL has been out long enough for there to be a ton of good guides out there. In fact, these forums are one of the best places to look for figuring out specs, rotations, macros, etc. Sure, it may require a little work but you can rest assured that most anything here is extensively vetted by peers, and is worth the effort to research.
    Last edited by Kaipa; 02-28-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Kaipa/Zeasphon/Pasius of http://www.philanthropy-community.com/
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.--Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by DaCommando View Post
    Using macros by all means are not a must. But for certain classes, for certain situations, you can gain a bit of DPS macroing few abilities together (shaves a second or 2 here and there from ur rotation. Also saves u a button to click). Once you make it to lvl 60 and attempt raiding, sometimes the extra 100-300 dps u will do can make a difference
    Ah, I see. I don't raid or PvP, so I guess this will stay a non-issue for me.

Progression through SL will have peaks and valleys. You wont be able to just use what ever greens & blues you have at the time. You will need to make sure that your gear is the best that it can be. Go to the AH and get what you can.
    You will also want to go check what are the best specs as well. Most of the people on the forums here will gladly help you with a good spec.

Over all i was happy that i could not just walk through all of the content. I did have to do all the carnage quests, i even had to go back to lowwer zones a few times to get my next level before i could move to the next area.

Quote Originally Posted by Diobolic View Post
    Progression through SL will have peaks and valleys. You wont be able to just use what ever greens & blues you have at the time. You will need to make sure that your gear is the best that it can be. Go to the AH and get what you can.
    Patently untrue. I have leveled from 50-60 in pure greens on 3 toons now, and I'm approaching level 56 on my 4th and am in pure greens on this one too, with some items still left from level 52 and 53. If I get an upgrade from a drop, I'll use it, and I do check the AH every so often to see if I can pick up some cheap upgrades, but it's never been a big deal if I couldn't find one either. I've never bothered to put a rune on a piece of gear before level 60 either.

While leveling, your build is FAR more important than your gear. I brought my mage and my rogue into SL at level 48 wearing level 41/44 crafted green gear and they were just fine, because they had good builds. The completed quests, got the SL gear rewards and then got to be that much better, but they were in no way gimped by not having "the best gear."

+ Reply to Thread