+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Caved In!

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default Caved In!

    So I caved in and bought RIFT today (who can ignore $10 for the game + 30 days?). I've only gotten to level 7 but so far I love the game. I'm on the server Wolfsbane which at the time was listed as Medium population. I have a few questions regarding the game though (as most new players do).

    1.) Is leveling technically possible only doing rifts?

    2.) How do public parties work?

    3.) What is this world even quest line thing I have?

    4.) I'm a mage, and I'd like to DPS. I started with Elementalist, Pyromancer and some other one (I don't remember). I've put points into Elementalist and Pyromancer. I know I want to keep Pyromancer and I want to use Stormcaller. What's a good third one I could use? Also, since I put points into Elementalist already, is it a big deal to refund the points? I mean, new players kind of are duped into putting points there because I bet most new players don't research builds before hand or even have an idea of what they want to do even if they did look at a few builds. I just knew mage, that was it.

    5.) Population wise, how is the game doing? On the rise? On the decline? Wolfsbane is one of the more populated servers, correct?

    6.) What's the difference between putting points in the talent tree and going to the skill trainer?

    7.) How often do rifts form in the world and is there some sort of notification system to let you know there's one nearby or at least in the same map as you?

    8.) Are there lots of dungeons/raids?

    9.) Wanna be friends? WNxTyrael in game

    Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from all of you and seeing you in game!

  2. #2
    Telaran Brigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    90

    Default

    1) Technically yes, however it would be very impractical and take an awfully long time. If is a good idea when levelling to do any rifts you come across but they are best as an addition to levelling rather than as a sole means of levelling.

    2) there are two types; public and private. The public ones you refer to allow you to group up with any player not currently in a private party who has their party type set to public (right click your character icon). In certain scenarios such as rifts and zone events you will be prompted to do so.

    3) World events normally coincide with large patches and feature a line of exclusive quests to that event. They normally offer decent rewards for newbies to the game.

    4) with the way the souls currently stand, pyro is single target heavy and stormcaller is aoe heavy. You would probably be better off making a role for each once you have the money to buy more roles from your class trainer. If you really want to use a mix of stormcaller and pyro your best focusing on them and having your last soul as a 0 point soul.

    5) very much on the rise and quite healthy atm.

    6) the trainer sells upgraded versions of spells that you can acquire as you level. Once an upgraded spell is bought it is permanent and you will not have to upgrade it again. The spells themselves you unlock or access by putting points in their respective trees. Your soul tree is how you create roles. You can currently have 6 roles each with 3 souls. At max level you can spend 66 points in those 3 trees with a max of 51 in a single soul.

    7) press m in game to bring up your map, scroll in to see rifts on the map, scroll out to see zone invasion notifications. Bare in mind that when you scroll in you can only see rifts in your current zone. Invasions happen fairly often, they are more frequent in higher populated zones I believe.

    8) there are currently a lot of normal dungeons, 3 solo/duo dungeons (chronicles), a while bunch of expert 5 man dungeons (harder versions of the normal ones with more bosses in each), then 2 tier 1 20 man raids, 2 tier 1 10 man raids, 1 tier 2 20. Man raid, 1 tier 2 10 man raid, 1 tier 3 20 man and 1 tier 3.10 man. Lots more coming with the expac too.

    Have fun in game, hope I helped!
    Trickle - former hardcore raider.
    Former member of eXile, Special Olympics, Exploit, Apotheosys, Last Dawn
    World firsts highlights: Maelforge (Infernal Dawn 1.8) & Gelidra HM (Frozen Eclipse),
    Salvarola & Ultane (Grim Awakening)


  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brigy View Post
    1) Technically yes, however it would be very impractical and take an awfully long time. If is a good idea when levelling to do any rifts you come across but they are best as an addition to levelling rather than as a sole means of levelling.

    2) there are two types; public and private. The public ones you refer to allow you to group up with any player not currently in a private party who has their party type set to public (right click your character icon). In certain scenarios such as rifts and zone events you will be prompted to do so.

    3) World events normally coincide with large patches and feature a line of exclusive quests to that event. They normally offer decent rewards for newbies to the game.

    4) with the way the souls currently stand, pyro is single target heavy and stormcaller is aoe heavy. You would probably be better off making a role for each once you have the money to buy more roles from your class trainer. If you really want to use a mix of stormcaller and pyro your best focusing on them and having your last soul as a 0 point soul.

    5) very much on the rise and quite healthy atm.

    6) the trainer sells upgraded versions of spells that you can acquire as you level. Once an upgraded spell is bought it is permanent and you will not have to upgrade it again. The spells themselves you unlock or access by putting points in their respective trees. Your soul tree is how you create roles. You can currently have 6 roles each with 3 souls. At max level you can spend 66 points in those 3 trees with a max of 51 in a single soul.

    7) press m in game to bring up your map, scroll in to see rifts on the map, scroll out to see zone invasion notifications. Bare in mind that when you scroll in you can only see rifts in your current zone. Invasions happen fairly often, they are more frequent in higher populated zones I believe.

    8) there are currently a lot of normal dungeons, 3 solo/duo dungeons (chronicles), a while bunch of expert 5 man dungeons (harder versions of the normal ones with more bosses in each), then 2 tier 1 20 man raids, 2 tier 1 10 man raids, 1 tier 2 20. Man raid, 1 tier 2 10 man raid, 1 tier 3 20 man and 1 tier 3.10 man. Lots more coming with the expac too.

    Have fun in game, hope I helped!
    Thanks for the reply! I have one more! When I reset my trait points and pressed N again. It brought up a page with like...specs I guess. It was a list of idk, maybe 7 or so names. Each one had a set of 3 souls with them. I guess they're premade builds by Trion. What are these premade builds called?

  4. #4
    Ascendant Phelim on the Moor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WNxTyr4el View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I have one more! When I reset my trait points and pressed N again. It brought up a page with like...specs I guess. It was a list of idk, maybe 7 or so names. Each one had a set of 3 souls with them. I guess they're premade builds by Trion. What are these premade builds called?
    Those premade builds are just Trion's premade builds. They came up with them and named them, and those builds usually have some utility for new players. However, the practice dummy parsers will always come up with the best builds, especially for raiding and such. You can find them in the Mage Guide sub section of the forum:

    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...s/mage-guides/

    Keep in mind, the soul tree was just reset for EVERYBODY the other day, and even the number crunchers and raiders are still learning what's best for their level 50 characters. Sadly, they're problably not going to know what's really best for a leveler. As such, sticking with a Trion premade may not be so bad for now.
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

  5. #5
    Champion LastPrussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    585

    Default

    I really recommend that you don't try lvling up by doing just one aspect of the game. try everything, you are going to have a much better character and you will have a much better understanding of the game. Quest around, do Rifts as you approach them, definitely try the events, Queue for PvP from time to time, definitely try Conquest, do instant adventures (btw awesome way to lvl), queue for random dungeons, craft a bit, do gathering.

    Rift has a lot to offer, don;t rob yourself of the experience by not trying everything it has to offer ;) If you'd like to be amongst players who love to help out and answer questions come on over to Shatterbone (transfers are free and instant) and guild search Gunbad.
    Sinister Savant is a no stress PvE & leveling guild on Hailol. Everyone is welcome, join us today!
    Recruiting Thread - Website

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Welcome to Rift! I too am on Wolfsbane on the Defiant side. Hit me up sometime if you need help with anything. I'm usually on 9:30PM EST.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple Hargin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Welcome from the EU shards!

    As MrGunbad said, do not hurry and enjoy the game to it's full aspect. and for leveling just use whatever spec you like.
    Don't forget that a calling (es Mage) is not a spec (es Pyro). Mages can do dps and also are really good healrs and support, so try the various roles and don't pidgeon hole yourself into a single thing!

  8. #8
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Welcome to Rift ! Hope you enjoy your stay!

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser VikingGamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Some further thoughts on a few of your questions.


    You can level from just doing rifts but if you to, but I wouldn't limit yourself to just rifts. Instant adventures are a lot like rifts and will give you even better exp. Also once you level up some you can do onslaughts which are a lot of fun. the point is that the game gives you a lot of things to do besides questing and it is possible to level doing the non-questing things. The down side is that you won't get the more directed rewards that you tend to get from questing. So you might want to also supplement by doing dungeons for your gear. The dungeon matcher is very useful in this regard. Just queue up while doing other things. Also be aware that there are a few quests that you really need to do. Not many, but a few. at lvl 50 you will need to do the chronicle that will unlock your PAs. Also on the new continents there a quest that will take you to tempest bay, the new city. I am not sure if you can get to the city otherwise. Also around lvl 35 you can pick up a quest that will take you to the zones on the far side of the map from your faction. You can then easily get the porticullum points. You can get to that side of the map without the teleport but it is a long trip and a bit of a pain.

    Population wise, there has been some thinning because of other big titles coming online over the summer but in the overall Rift is growing at a moderate pace. It is very well positioned in the MMO market place as a feature rich and more modern alternative to WoW as it has a very strong raiding endgame. I think the appearance of GW2 will end up being a benefit to Rift overall, as that game is pulling people out of WoW's orbit but since it is so different in its style, combat and endgame it will not retain everyone that it pulls. Many people simply don't like that model of game. So those that are pulled free but still want something that is similar to WoW will likely find Rift a strong choice. Now with rift adding housing it will also draw a completely new crowd to the game. It is a good time to be in Rift.

    The skill trainer upgrades your skills. Thinks like give you rank 2 fireball and so on. Points in the trees will simply give you access to fireball or any other skill as well as general upgrades like 2% more damage from ranged spells, ect. If you then respec you will not loose your upgrades. so once you spec back into a tree, any upgrades you bought before will be there again. As you level up and buy more roles, be sure to activate each of your roles in turn as you buy your upgrades as you will only be offered upgrades to those skills that are currently active.

    You should always find a few rifts in every zone you are in. You can also prematurely active tears with one of your accended powers, rift lure. Of course rifts and tears also show up on the map and mini map. Be sure to mouse over the rifts to see if they are major or minor. If you are soloing you will get torn up by a major rift. If you are not far from a rift you will usually see the sky change color even before you are in the rift. Also, you will know when a zone wide event happens. There will be rifts and invasions every where and there will be an announcement and probably some dialog going with the big baddie. A zone that has a zone event going also gets a special icon on the big map so you know where to go if you want to chase the events.

    Rift has 11 leveling dungeons. close to 1 for every zone. All those dungeons can also be done as experts tuned for lvl 50. There used to be two tiers of experts but they unified those tiers. so now people will often talk about doing t2s, they mean expert dungeons, they are all t2 now. There are also a couple of master mode dungeons. These are 5 mans that are tuned like raids. very hard, you need to be geared to the teeth. There are also 4 20 man raids and 4 10 man raid slivers. They break into 3 tiers and only a handful of the most hardcore guilds have completed all of ID. At the high end, raids are tough. The raiding system in Rift is every bit as well developed as WoW. There are a lot of significant hardcore raiding guilds that are fully commited to Rift in the long term. Did I even mention Expert, Raid and crafting rifts? yeah, the list goes on. there is a ridiculous amount of stuff to do in Rift.
    Last edited by VikingGamer; 10-25-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    "Speak useful words or be silent"

  10. #10
    Ascendant mckeough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,432

    Default

    Welcome to Rift and Wolfsbane...if your looking for a guild check out Shadow Guild...we are friendly use mumble and have other leveling players (when you get high enough level jump into Instant Adventures to expedite the process..and use xp vials if you have any)....pst-- Kemikol, Katnass or Aelan in game if you are in need of a guild have a good day

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Skoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Don't do it...

    Leveling off just rifts will leave you cash poor and planerite rich... but in the end game planerite is super easy to get and you can easily hit the caps on it... so money is where it's at because you will want 125 plat by lvl 50 for the 110% runspeed mount.

    Mix it all up as they said...
    some rifts to keep planerite coming in...
    some standard killing for money... some questing to get gear and money plus it really helps you explore zones in a level safe fashion...
    and some dungeons because that's where you will get some of the better level appropriate gear (blue stuff) although planerite and planar sourcestones (zone events) can get you some blues and purples also.

    I would not stress about pvp yet... you can't get prestige ranks until lvl 50... and all the gear is lvl 50... the gear you can get is limited by your prestige level... so most people end up waiting on prestige ranks... not favor... so might as well be 50... if you like PvP... dive right in... but if you don't... starting at 50 is technically a wise choice.
    Shatterbone Server
    Guardian w/ 780+ Attunements
    Donnaccia - Warrior - lvl 60 Kimchi - Mage - lvl 60
    SadKeanu - Cleric - lvl 55 Bieber - Rogue - lvl 50
    Skoshi - Warrior - lvl 50

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VikingGamer View Post
    Also on the new continents there a quest that will take you to tempest bay, the new city. I am not sure if you can get to the city otherwise.
    Yes, you can, no questing required.... that's what I did, on beta 1 and 2.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skoshi View Post
    ...so money is where it's at because you will want 125 plat by lvl 50 for the 110% runspeed mount
    Don't get the 110% mount. Get the 90% mount at level 25, then get the 150% mount in Tempest Bay for 300 plat, when you're 50. There are faster mounts than that, but they require zone notoreity and/or levels, and they're a lot more expensive. I've not found that extra 20% between 90 and 110 to be worth the extra 100 plat it costs, personally.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts