+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can't decide on a class

Soulwalker

Default Can't decide on a class

I've played about every MMO out in the last 10+ years, have always gone the support/healer route; but coming to this game I'm entirely baffled as to what to play. I've read suggestions, been told to play what I enjoy, but with all of the possible classes in this game its hard to tell. Started playing as a friend plays, and he plays only healers.

Was thinking a tank, however I have no tanking experience and being new to the game I'm honestly intimidated.

Support role I've been told to play an Archon or Bard.

I normally play w/e the game tends to lack in end-game, so with that my question is what are the classes that are needed most? I'm open to playing any base class, tanking or support is what I'd like to play.

Advice/suggestions = free hugs~

Well, why not roll a healer and include a tank spec.

Imo everyone should roll a mage, but that's only because I have a dozen or so of them.

But yeah, maybe roll one of each and just see which one you like best. That's the one you should play.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Soulwalker

Heh I honestly don't want to heal for the first time in any MMO I've played, looking into support or tanking just overwhelmed by the classes and combinations. Plus I tend to be a min/maxer so playing something through lvl 10 doesn't do anything for me .

Currently playing a Gravelord, most likely for an Archon but its always easiest to level with a pet class.

You might get more mileage out of running bard and going rogue, if you enjoy playing support.

With the new souls incoming all 4 classes will be sort of 'capable' of playing all roles.

If you're enjoying mage now, stick with it. Myself, I love my elementalist the best. I'm a long time lover of pet classes.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Champion

Support roles are mostly only needed in raids, so i would not only aim only for this. How ever Rift is kind of a great thing with all their souls, so for example you can go with a mage, start as dps, and later when your up to that, you just add a support role or a heal role as well. You don't have to stick with just one role through the entire game. And you can switch between the roles when ever you want or for what ever purpose you need.

If you want to have a tank option but still want to be able to do support then Rouge is also a available. Cleric you can play pretty much any role with including tank. A Mage can do it all except tanking, and as far as i understand the warrior will have a somewhat support role in future Storm Legion, but for now they are dps or tank.

So you are not stuck with the choice you make now. Just choose a class that can provide what ever you might want in game and then add the roles to it when your ready.

Go completely different and roll a warrior. We can tank,DPS and we can even support now with beast master.

Forgot to add: come the expansion we will also have ranged DPS. Everything but heals. Rogues are fun too though, so really your choice. I have a 50 of each.
    Last edited by Tufelhunden; 10-17-2012 at 10:39 PM.

You can pick any class that looks interesting to you and level as a dps until you feel you got the game a bit more down and feel more secure. Choosing a calling or a soul in Rift does not limit your choices once you've reached 50 You can pick and choose basically whatever you want, later. First you just try and focus on leveling.

Mages: Ranged, support, melee, heals, dps
    Clerics: Heals, tanks, ranged, melee, dps
    Warriors: Melee, tanks, dps, ranged
    Rogues: Tanks, support, melee, ranged, dps

So there you are! Pick one calling and you can be whatever when you've leveld up and seen for yourself what might be needed most (depends entierly on guilds. My guild actually need dps, as we got tons of tanks, healers and support, hehe). And you can have up to six roles so go for all of them if you want to one day :3

"Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett

To me, support is more of a focus in how you play than an exact spec, though obviously you have to have the right resources available. Until the soul change I usually ran a damage oriented cleric with some offheals, and I also sacrificed some of my damage to get an area effect snare (Inquisicar with more Cabalist than normal). Basically I would damage when that was needed, though my damage was good it was not the mathematical max; but I paid more attention to raid hit points and also used my snares and debuffs and offheal when it would be useful -- this build ended up helping a lot in in zone events and rifts. It was fantastic for defending a wardstone and healing up a main healer who was suddenly at death's door knocking loudly.

Now, the new changes to souls makes that build not viable right now so I can't offer up a template. Still, it's probably better that you just take your own crack at things. You can have a 2nd soul set very early - the first extra role only costs a small amount of coin to unlock. You can swap between damage and healing, easily. The new "glacial priest" preset in clerics is a hybrid melee damage/healing soul; I haven't tried it but it looks flexible. Outside of Clerics, Bard is a fun buffer in Rogues; Saboteur is a very tactically-oriented damaging rogue that can to some extent trap and debuff the playing field. Warriors' beastmaster is now buffing-oriented. The main thing is to jump in and experiment and figure out what you enjoy in this particular game.
    Last edited by Alessar; 10-18-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: clarity

Rift Disciple

Best thing to do my friend, is to pick a class and enjoy. Mix n' combine different specs to find one that you like. There's no punishment, nobody is going to belittle you because "lol hey your running that spec? this spec is the most l33t!" Just enjoy the game ;)

Personally, I created a different character for each class and played them till I had a feel for what it would be like. This is the best way to decide what you enjoy playing the most.

Rift Disciple

You've gotten some good advice here. Since each of the 4 callings can do many things, I find it best to start with what appeals to you more thematically or style-wise. Later on as you try out more builds, you'll get a feel for what you like most about your calling and can determine if you want to try out another one.

I personally like many different styles and roles, so I have 1 of each calling (each with several roles). I play whatever I'm in the mood for. It doesn't take long to level to 50, so you don't lose a lot by starting a different calling to try it out.

Have fun with it! That's the most important thing.

Rift Disciple

Clerics are the best, that's all there is to it.

I rarely even heal anymore.

Champion

I just want to speak to being intimidated by tanking.

Do it.

Yes, you are going to get made fun of, mocked, insulted, derided, etc.

BUT!

It can be a nice change of pace/challenge if you have been in the genre a long time and need something new and interesting to capture you.

(maybe my dozen strong hate club will show up to show you how this works)

GO TANK.

Sounds like yah ready.

If you're looking for a class that has so many different specs and slight variations of the same spec suited for different situations; go Cleric! We never have enough role slots!

Personally I started off with a Cleric at the beginning because I have been a Mage for my main in every MMORPG I've played in my life and I thought I'd 'spice' it up with a Cleric. Thought Cleric would be like Priests in Ragnarok Online with all the buffs/etc (on top of the healing).

Clerics can tank.
    Clerics have a variety of heal specs with different playstyles - Warden, Purifier, Sentinel
    Clerics have a variety of DPS specs - Cabalist for AOE, Inquisitor for Ranged ST DPS, Shaman and Druid for Melee DPS.
    And...Defiler. Which you can use to solo with its tank pet, but which is also used as 'support' to reduce damage to an ally via linking (i.e., reduce tank's damage), can heal and dps.

And then there's a bajillion combinations of each based on whether an encounter is more stand-still or movement-heavy; whether it is more aoe or ST focused, or a good mixture of both/etc.

And then there's PvP variants where you put points into souls that would do better in a PvP environment rather than a PvE environment.

Then again, most of the other classes have similar, with Warriors, Rogues and Mages having clear Support souls.

Put simply, take your pick. Explore. As you get deeper into the game and journey to end-game you'll find a vastness of specs to choose from in a single class for your own purposes that'll get your min-maxer all juiced up.

Soulwalker

I ended up pushing a mage to 50, participated in the 24hr marathon a week or so ago and then with the SL invasions in the city happening it was easy. Though from what I can tell, mage DPS in the game seems to be about DoT management, which I despise so I've decided I'm gonna go down the tank path...

Now I gotta choose a soul for it, thinking I want to go the more traditional route and do warrior. Any advice on tanking? I've trolled the class forums and it seems people are underwhelmed currently with warrior tanking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast