+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New player a little overwhelmed by class/spec choice

Soulwalker

Default New player a little overwhelmed by class/spec choice

While I'm sure the number of different class choices is ultimately beneficial, I'm having difficulty understanding it all.
    1. When I create a new character, are the four "sub-options" for class concrete, permanent choices? Or are these specializations that can be changed later?
    2. Having played a lot of MMOs, I'm a little leery of choosing a class/spec that nobody plays, or can't make real contributions in groups or raids. Anything I should avoid?
    3. How much does race really matter? Will I be frowned upon for being an Eth Rogue at some point for instance?
    4. Any general recommendations on some classes to try out to get a feel for the game overall? Thus far I've just tried the aforementioned Eth Rogue.
    5. Are starting areas different depending on race/class? Or is the starting area based solely on faction?

So far I've enjoyed the game, and the community has been great! That's a big bonus!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDoom View Post
    While I'm sure the number of different class choices is ultimately beneficial, I'm having difficulty understanding it all.
    1. When I create a new character, are the four "sub-options" for class concrete, permanent choices? Or are these specializations that can be changed later?
    2. Having played a lot of MMOs, I'm a little leery of choosing a class/spec that nobody plays, or can't make real contributions in groups or raids. Anything I should avoid?
    3. How much does race really matter? Will I be frowned upon for being an Eth Rogue at some point for instance?
    4. Any general recommendations on some classes to try out to get a feel for the game overall? Thus far I've just tried the aforementioned Eth Rogue.
    5. Are starting areas different depending on race/class? Or is the starting area based solely on faction?

So far I've enjoyed the game, and the community has been great! That's a big bonus!
    1. the options are not permanent and you don't need to even follow them if you prefer to make your own build. reset your souls at your class change for cheap and swap souls around as much as you like

2. with so many options it would be best to choose your calling then see the forums for that calling for good advice on builds and specs

3. none at all - unless you like to jump of stuff, then pick dwarf

4. starting areas are based on faction - one each

^^ what they said.. if you plan to play for the expansion, I would watch some release vids and look at the new souls to see what playstyle suits you, rogue is fun, but a painful black sheep in most cases, check out the new mage direction, or the 35m ranged warrior! (they get stealth, and a bunch of other features that made rogue neat while maintaining high dmg/armor/hp's.. plate rogue hunters...

Soulwalker

Hehe, I am already feeling like I should shy away from the Rogue. In my experience, in other games, they always ARE black sheep. And besides, often gravitate towards either warriors with big, nasty weapons or healing types.

to expand on #2

each calling has different roles they play in a raid/dungeon setting. but they are not limited to only 1 type of role.

for instance clerics are not just healers (I hardly ever heal) they can heal, dps, and tank as good as any other calling.

warriors can tank and dps (and buff/support in the expansion)
    mages can dps, buff, and heal
    rogues can dps, buff, and tank

basically, people *usually* don't say: "looking for 2 rogues, and a cleric" they say: "looking for 2 dps and a healer" and by usually i mean that sometimes they need a certain class in a certain role for a certain ability or mechanic.

bottom line: don't pick the class based on preconceived "ideals" (cleric = healer for example), pick the class based on flavor and style in the role(s) you want to perform
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 09-18-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    to expand on #2

each calling has different roles they play in a raid/dungeon setting. but they are not limited to only 1 type of role.

for instance clerics are not just healers (I hardly ever heal) they can heal, dps, and tank as good as any other calling.

warriors can tank and dps (and buff/support in the expansion)
    mages can dps, buff, and heal
    rogues can dps, buff, and tank

basically, people *usually* don't say: "looking for 2 rogues, and a cleric" they say: "looking for 2 dps and a healer" and by usually i mean that sometimes they need a certain class in a certain role for a certain ability or mechanic.

bottom line: don't pick the class based on preconceived "ideals" (cleric = healer for example), pick the class based on flavor and style in the role(s) you want to perform

Take it from a fellow raider. This man is correct. ( I may not think cleric DPS matches mage. At least when it comes to single target.)

he speaks truth.

Hello and welcome!

For #1 maybe I am misunderstood, but for choices you mean, warrior, rogue, cleric, mage (which are callings, and ARE PERMANENT) or one of the SOUL presets (which are SPECS and aren't permanent)?

for 2) Luckly any calling is perfectly viable, but for each calling, there are some specs that are better than others. However you'll see that in endgame you can easilly play 5-6 different specs, so no calling is pidgeon-holed.

3) Races matter a mighty 0% (not like wow bad design, where race matters dramatically). Racials are mainly cosmetic (es: a little out of combat jump for speed, reduced falling damage ecc)

4) Starting areas differ for faction (guardian/defiant)

A bit extra for rogues. (coming for a dedicated PvE raider)
    Rogues ARE NOT black sheep. They are a very versatile and multi-role calling which is rarely perceived as out of place.
    Rogues can:
    Melee DPS (in at least 3 different ways)
    Single target ranged DPS with decent AoE
    Utility based ranged DPS
    AoE ranged DPS with good single target
    Buffer with collateral healing
    Tank

and some encounter specific specs. Really not the black sheep...

Welcome

Dont be overwhelmed Play the game, you get to know everything quite fast.

ROLES are NOT permanent, you can choose other souls at any time(offc. can cost some ingame currency).
    and you will have multiple roles(6 at max) in total, so you can have different roles at hand which you can switch between.

CALLING is permanent. Though you are pretty versatile. Poster above already explained, though imo Cleric cant give viable dps(for end-game!!). Though this is hopefully solved with the expansion.

RACE is unimportant. Purely what you like. Could be more important to RP-ers, but Race/Calling combo's are all ok

STARTING AREA is faction based. only have 2, 1 guardian and 1 defiant . Beside the initial start area, the follow up(the real start area) is also faction based.

CALLING/ROLE COMBO All are viable. Its true that when in endgame Cleric DPS is not viewed as viable, but like I said this will be solved with the new soul and the soul changes with Storm Legion

Those roles you see per calling which you can choose between, are roles made by Trion. This is easy for new players, since they are pre-defined and you can let all SoulPoints you get by leveling be put it automtically. This way you can calmly learn about the game, and the souls, without having to dive into studying the souls to determing what way you should go.

Enjoy the game

ps. choose roque --> we rule
    Last edited by NearioNL; 09-19-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

RIFT Guide Writer

Don't go with Rogue. Avoid the Rogue like the Plague.

Shadowlander

Why all the hate on us rogues? D':

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDoom View Post
    People have already explained the difference between the actual classes/callings like Cleric and the 4 starter specs that you choose at chargen like "Battle Healer" or whatever. Let me stress these were a very late addition to the game and are nothing but sample builds to guide people who were overwhelmed by choice. Recently in general chat someone was terrified because they wanted to spend a talent point differently than their preset instructed them and got a warning message. Ten minutes of ranting about what a dumb addition to the game then ensued by everyone on that channel. I mean really, the lurkers were even chiming in.

You can have up to 6 preset specs you change through, each one costs more than the previous one but the first extra spec is very cheap and easy to buy from your trainer. Also, as of several months ago at least (I took a break over summer) resetting your talent points is free for characters under level 15. So it is possible to quickly dump the presets (though use them if you like them!) and experiment with 2 different builds and change them over and over again, though if you train all the abilities you can in several souls, you may notice that cost. (Once trained though you can re-equip a soul and its abilities are still trained up). I think you should focus on what you enjoy playing and what works for you. When it comes time to raiding and such you'll be able to use your player skills and the advice of the raiders to cook up your build or perhaps use a favored spec supplied to you.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by oleerik View Post
    Why all the hate on us rogues? D':
    Rogue is the ***** out of all the other classes. I know this because I play one. Rogue sucks in PvP on any other class that is equally geared as you.

Rogue < Warrior
    Rogue < Mage
    Rogue < Cleric
    Rogue = gimp side show

The could change with SL. Waiting to see what has happen.
    Last edited by ChrisN; 09-19-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Sounds like serious QQ.

Don't be afraid to play around with Soul Combinations and point distribution either. Homebrew specs are often fun and will allow you to learn your class more intimately than simply following a pre-made spec. Sure you will find specs for the best DPS or whatever per class but usually that mostly concerns end game raiding and by the time you get to that point you should know your class or have a guild that will help you with what they need per boss.
    Kjalla - Aegis - Faeblight

Soulwalker

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a few questions that are in line with the OPs (new as well, as of today )

1) How good are the preset souls they give you? I.E. I picked tank, currently level 15, and my souls were paladin, reaver, and champion. I agree with reaver and paladin. But I don't find champion that great. Granted I do know my extra power and hard hits will come from there....but doesn't really do it for me. Any advice on another? Perhaps, Warlord for buffs? Possibly VK?

2) I read up on a few things before starting the game and seen a lot of dispute about how far to branch into a certain soul. Now I have every intention of making my own choices as far as what talents to pick, but I am wondering...should I go 51 points into a main soul, or just 38? I'm not even sure how many total points I get to allocate :-P

3) Guilds and groups: around what level do these become more popular? Lol so far I've only had lke 3 people, individually, join in on any rifts/invasions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast