+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I want to balance my trees?

Shadowlander

Default How do I want to balance my trees?

So i just started playing rift, and I've gotten to the point where I got my 3rd soul tree. So what I'm wondering, is how do I make these synergize? Is the point to go primarily into a main tree and then take a few of the lower talents from the other 2? Or is it to max them all out? or just 2 of them? How does this end up working?

Also, I notice that a lot of the abilities I get from the various trees end up being redundant, and in some cases, it gives me an ability that doesn't seem like its worth using over another. For instance, I chose marksman and then ranger as my 1st 2 trees, each gave me an instant shot that generated a combo point, that both cost the same energy, do the same damage, and have no CD, but the one from marksman gives a speed boost when used. Then each gave a finisher, but the finisher from marks does more damage and has the speed increase effect.

I'm not really seeing how these all fit together, and I was wondering if anyone could help.

Also, for my 3rd soul, there wasn't another option for a ranged, so I picked one that was more melee focused, but had some nice perks in the lower tiers, is this how it's intended? Or how am I supposed to utilize the 3rd tree given its lack of interaction with my other 2?

The thing that is fun about Rift is that you can customize your character to fit your play style. There is no "correct" way to build/fill your trees. Yes, there may be some redundancy in some souls, so you end up just using one over the other. My rogue is a ranger/riftblade. I enjoy having my pet attack the ranged npc's while I planeshift in and take care of the melee ones. There are dozens of different builds you can check out in the Rogue subforum under classes. Some max a single soul with support in the other 2, while others balance between 2, even all 3 souls.
    When you hit level 13 you will be able to aquire other souls which you can use to try other builds (roles). The whole point is to play and find out what you like. You can always change out what doesn't work later on.
    Have fun, and welcome!
    Last edited by RambleOn; 07-06-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darthelmet View Post
    Also, I notice that a lot of the abilities I get from the various trees end up being redundant, and in some cases, it gives me an ability that doesn't seem like its worth using over another. For instance, I chose marksman and then ranger as my 1st 2 trees,
    When I first started, I did the same thing, and just decided MM and Ranger were too redundant. I ended up mainly focusing on Ranger with the pet until I picked up Bard and Riftstalker later (from the soul quests in your capital city at L13).

The Riftstalker gave a 0-point? teleport forward which was nice when soloing. Then I gave that up later for more DPS with a few points in Assassin for the poison, and fora couple basic melee skills. So yes, it sounds like you're on the right track. Often your off-souls you're picking for a few little supplements to what you're doing. On the other hand, going an even split is also viable many times. It's all good. Try looking at the Rogue forum for more ideas.

+ Reply to Thread