+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Time PVPer Needs Help ;D

Telaran

Default First Time PVPer Needs Help ;D

In all the time I have played mmos I have never played PVP. I was looking at the PVP section and I was thinking of giving it a try. I already have a 50th level cleric BUT I dont want to take him into an appropriate level warfront with all the trained killers ;D. To my question:

Which class would be easy to play as far as pvp goes and a good way to get my feet wet? I realize I will be dieing alot until I figure out what Im doing. Any suggestions?

Thank ;D
    Last edited by Beyorn; 05-11-2011 at 06:55 PM.

I suggest healing your team.

Open the Warfront and look at the highest DPSers and Killers and follow/support them. The more together the better.

After a while you can get a feel of how the objectives are designed and choose what best suits your playstyle on your own.
    "ToA Will not have a significant impact on RvR."

Feel free to join in the lvl 50 fronts with your cleric. It's a different fight than PvE so you'll want to eventually set up another spec for PvP, but it's fun. If you want to roll something that's fun in low lvl I'd say go pyromancer mage. You can really lay on the damage so long as you aren't targeted. If you do get hit you have very limited options to get free, but those expand with time. A rogue can be fun too, though I'd go ranged until you have good CC for up close. In any case feel free to jump in. You can only gain, you can't lose anything. It's best to get over the fear of dying as soon as possible, because in warfronts you will die all the time. Highly recommend it, WFs are a lot of fun and really break things up when you're PvEd out.
    Originally: Harrow (because it was the only one I could select) - Wicked, Dead, Atheist, Grunt.
    After Harrow shutdown: Briarcliff () Discordant, RedOctober(went to Seastone), DropnFbombs, Crappy
    After Briarcliff went trial: SeaStone() RenamedThreeTimes

It can be tough playing in the 50 warfronts as a PvP noob and especially as a cleric. Expect to take a lot of abuse—both from the other team focus-firing you and your own team yelling at you to either heal more or stop dpsing—until you learn the ropes and build a couple PvP roles. PvPers are the most competitive and least forgiving of MMOers, especially at the endgame.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Beyorn View Post
    In all the time I have played mmos I have never played PVP. I was looking at the PVP section and I was thinking of giving it a try. I already have a 50th level cleric BUT I dont want to take him into an appropriate level warfront with all the trained killers ;D. To my question:

Which class would be easy to play as far as pvp goes and a good way to get my feet wet? I realize I will be dieing alot until I figure out what Im doing. Any suggestions?

Thank ;D
    Cleric is fine.

Don't level a new class just to get your feet wet in PVP.
    Existenz@Lotham
    <Excess>

I'd recommend a warrior. It's straightforward yet delicate, and will teach you humility.
    Don't mind me, I'm just being an idiot.

What you did there, I see it.

Telaran

Thanks for all the replies, my favorite pve spec is warden/sent/pur. I was thinking of taking that into warfronts and just healing. I only dps when solo. But like some of you said I would be in a 50th level warfront with trained killers ;D. I dont care to die but I dont want to be free points either.

I'm assuming Warden is your primary soul? If so, I would suggest dropping one of the other two for Templar. Either keep the Sentinel for the instant heal (and don't bother with too many points) or keep the Purifier for the shields and a bit more durability (you'll need to invest some in this one). Then put points into the Templar to give you a bit of survivability and a few more aoe heals. Make sure you've got Dissolution, Restorative Tide, and enough points in Warden to get Glassy Reflection.

Something you might try is roll a second cleric, with similar specs to the one you have now, and go to the lower level WFs. That way, when you do decide to go back to your "main" cleric, then you will know what skills are good for you and which are worthless. IMHO, it doen't matter how good you are with a specific build, when you try a new one, it takes a bit of time to "get used" to the keystrokes to play.

Good luck to you!
    "If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them" - Richard Bach
    "Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness..." - Anonymous

Great list of help for new players! Click Here!

If you haven't done PvP before, you'll likely be an easy kill anyway. Takes a bit to adjust and see what works and what doesn't. PvE and PvP at two different deals. I'm not sure how 50 is but as a healing cleric, don't worry about dying too much. You'll get plenty of pvp points from all the heals you give out and can make the difference between winning and losing. As a healer you'll be an asset to any team, just look for what the objectives are and follow the people who are doing them. Alternately you can heal the big blob of people fighting the other big blob, but if you want to win then look for the others that are trying to win. GL out there, you'll do fine.
    Originally: Harrow (because it was the only one I could select) - Wicked, Dead, Atheist, Grunt.
    After Harrow shutdown: Briarcliff () Discordant, RedOctober(went to Seastone), DropnFbombs, Crappy
    After Briarcliff went trial: SeaStone() RenamedThreeTimes

+ Reply to Thread